Flights cancelled as China Airlines pilots strike (February 2019)

And do you think that will change because a piece of paper says they are Taiwanese now?

1 Like

Don’t give them ideas. Let propose the extinction of the ‘give up your own nationality’ crap first.

A non Asian will always be a foreigner

I don’t think they asked for pilots to be moved into copilots. Just co pilots can’t be promoted or something from what i read. And it says stop recruiting, nothing about current pilots being out of a job.

Taiwan News

During a fourth round of negotiations which started at 10 a.m. today, CAL management agreed to only directly hire Taiwanese as pilots and recruit foreign nationals to work as co-pilots. The plan is to be implemented within two years.

CNA

Pilots of China Airlines (CAL) continued their strike Thursday, although the pilot union and CAL reached a consensus over the recruitment of foreign pilots, with the company agreeing to plan within two years to only hire foreign nationals in the capacity of co-pilots, and to terminate recruitment of foreign pilots unless special conditions occur…
CAL also agreed to prioritize the promotion of Taiwanese over foreign pilots if they perform equally well in promotion training, and that the number of Taiwanese nationals should not be lower than foreigners during each round of pilot promotions.

Yeah so it doesn’t say anything about current foreign pilot that I can see. Just new recruits have to co pilots.

Yep, here it doesn´t say. Let´s see if they respect that.

My point is that the foreigners were there to raise the alarm. Old or new, as a copilot, their range of action is limited.

Anyways, as I said, the foreign pilots are sent to cargo duty. Let´s see what happens since they have to cut off half of them and usually cuts start with the highest earners.

I hope they don’t cave in, this is pathetic. Wouldn’t it be hard to fill these positions with ROC nationals, there’s already a shortage of pilots. And the ones in Taiwan don’t do go nearly as much flight time to become one from I heard.

1 Like

This is why Taiwan lags behind in so many areas. Friend was a director of CAL , and they had to be dragged , screaming , to conform with some of the CAA safety rules…oh so expensive…
When it comes to rules and safety , we all know that some Taiwanese will compromise safety for profit.
I experienced this myself . Why do we have to check every time …we did it last week , kind of attitude. Aviation/Motorsport have rules because the consequences of not following them can be disastrous.
The old “Face” thing rears it’s ugly head .possibly , with Foreign pilots pointing out errors and issues ? Don’t lower the bar by getting rid of your better people…learn from them .
They think they have learned enough to go it alone.
I know Helicopter pilot trainers who have “issues” with spatial awareness here , in too high a proportion of trainees. Mathematically , brilliant , but prone to losing it under pressure.
Just a different make-up …but in the end this way of thinking is ,indeed, discriminatory . Ability should be the primary requirement.

4 Likes

I’d love to see the justification the union is using for the whole foreign pilots bit. It looks like CAL are nullifying a lot of it anyway by saying it can’t apply to any foreigners that live in Taiwan as it would be against the law. I would imagine similar laws will apply in other countries.

I was using CAL again this couple of years due to their excellent service, if they’re going back to the bad era of incompetent ex military pilots then I’m switching back to EVA and others.

5 Likes

I’m pretty sure planes aren’t supposed to “scoot” though o.o

So, even though CAL agreed with this nonsense, they still continue with the strike?

China don’t learn
This is from 2011 i think
"By flying a fleet with above average accident rates and hiring under-qualified pilots, the airline has already increased their chances for impending disaster. Combine this with other national and cultural factors, such as lower safety standards and a powerful hierarchical undercurrent, and the odds have become even greater. In this sense, China Airlines has created the perfect storm.

Through a collective web of shortcomings, China Airlines has achieved it’s morbid number one rating. Not one factor alone leads a plane to crash, but rather a multitude of risks that tips the odds over the edge.

1 Like

The strike is over.

source?

preach it

1 Like

This would be valid if CAL had a particularly awful safety track record, but the reality is they don’t. They haven’t had any real accident since 2002. Not to mention, EVA is constantly ranked as one of the safest airlines in the world.

But still, German airlines are safer even though they had a depressed pilot dragging everyone else down to hell because you know, THEY ARE GERMAN. Lol.

Well I guess that depends on your definition.

https://www.flightsafetyaustralia.com/2015/08/it-was-almost-all-over-the-destructionThe “validity” can only be proven with accidents I guess. You infer that less accidents means all is well…anyway ,

http://avherald.com/h?article=4c412eec

You should stay away from British Airways as well then, by your logic.