Flights cancelled as China Airlines pilots strike (February 2019)

I would prefer not to fly Gain. I was going to give examples of things that I would think relevant , but I would have to give away someone’s ID. That , I can’t do , so I give in :wink:

What is the source?

Guy

Strikes over.

Interestingly, CAL brought the foreign pilots in by droves last time they REDUCED the number of hours CAL pilots had to fly.

That is why I find it so… puzzling that the local pilots have thrown the foreign colleagues under the bus. Is it due to salary negotiations? Envy of all the flight attendants enamored of the handsome foreign devils? What is it?

Incidents in 2018

This one at O’Hare was particularly disturbing as the pilot tried to pretend nothing had actually happened and ignored radio requests from ground, another aircraft had to report the runway excursion and subsequent debris on the runway.

Reading the official accident reports on any CAL incident or accident that is not maintenance related generally points to extremely poor reactions and communication between pilots.

6 Likes

One data point here, I’ve flown CAL about a dozen times in the last few years, never had a Caucasian pilot. They were Asian, maybe not Taiwanese… By contrast, every time I’ve flown Cathay it has been an Aussie pilot.

Last time I flew to Japan it was a very handsome atoga pilot at the helm. :heart_eyes:

In the good old times there were like 75 foreign pilots in CAL. Dunno how many now, but a lot less.

News stated there are currently 124 which was just under CAL’s 10% limit, union wanted that reduced to 5% of total pilots.

Wow I suppose everyone fights for their own… but …seems so … tactless!

Well, I was counting the ones from a certain nationality, which have become less as they leave for greener pastures.

1 Like

You can find an equal number of minor accidents for all major airlines.

All from 2018.

Maybe you guys should just stop flying altogether if you’re that scared. It’s better for the environment anyway.

I am honestly not a fan of China Airlines, the last time I booked a flight with them I lost one of my luggage.

List them please!

China Airlines currently has a very high safety rating. Gain is right in that every airline has multiple minor incidents every year.

1 Like

I already did.

This, however, is a valid criticism.