Flights Hong Kong to Taipei and return

Wondering if anyone knows how likely it is to get a return flight in Hong Kong from Hong Kong to Taipei two days later (back to Hong Kong in 8-10 days) towards the end of March? And how much would that cost?

(AFAIK local travel agencies can’t book reverse flights, so I need to buy the ticket in Hong Kong)

Why a travel agency shouldn’t be able to book a flight HKG-TPE-HKG?

I just booked a one-way flight TPE-HKG from within China without any problem. Let the agency handle it, if they have problems, let them solve it, e.g. via a partner agency in HK or whatever. That’s their job.

[quote=“Shiner”]Why a travel agency shouldn’t be able to book a flight HKG-TPE-HKG?

I just booked a one-way flight TPE-HKG from within China without any problem. Let the agency handle it, if they have problems, let them solve it, e.g. via a partner agency in HK or whatever. That’s their job.[/quote]
Technically they can but so-called reverse bookings are very expensive.

aerohkg.com/

Seems I gotta pay the full fare (as I have to take specific flights) but get a hotel included in the package, which is cheaper than separate bookings.

One quick question though: where is that huge statue located that sits on top of a hill/mountain? And how to get there?

And any place from where you can have a nice view on China, if weather permits?

Are you talking about the big Buddha on Lantau Island?

Are you talking about the big Buddha on Lantau Island?[/quote]
Yep, that’s the one. Thanks for the pointer, managed to google the answers to that question.

Any idea about taking a peek at China? Travel by MTR (which station) and climb some hill … ?

Book online at www.cathaypacific.com. No need to collect as it’s an eticket.

Are you talking about the big Buddha on Lantau Island?[/quote]
Yep, that’s the one. Thanks for the pointer, managed to google the answers to that question.

Any idea about taking a peek at China? Travel by MTR (which station) and climb some hill … ?[/quote]

This is all going to be weather permitting… air quality is pretty low and so is visability. If you want to go stare at China, be warned the view from anywhere in Hong Kong is not terribly interesting… if you want to take the MTR, you’re out of luck - the KCR goes near the border, but get off before Lo Wu. If you go to Lo Wu and you don’t have the proper entry permit to the PRC, you could get fined/hassled/who knows.

I don’t think the view of Shenzhen is very interesting anyway… go to Macau instead.

The cable car up to Ngong Ping 360 is really fun. I loved my trip up it.

Not quite right. The KCR stops at Lou Wu. You get off and then walk through to HK customs and then across into PRC. There’s a visa issuing joint on the second floor on the China side before you hit the customs desks. Getting a five day visa for the Shenzhen Special Economic Zone takes about 20 minutes. The cost is dependant on your nationality. Brits get hit hardest and I don’t think yanks can get visas there at all.

Having said that, Shenzhen is pretty shitty, especially around Lou Wu, Shekou is much nicer, especially an area they call Pattaya something or other. There’s an old ship that’s been turned into a hotel and oodles of good cheap western eateries. You can get there, and to a number of other Chinese cities by boat from the HK/Macau ferry terminal in Central. I know for sure you can also apply for a visa when you arrive in Shekou and Zhuhai, but it might be worth checking for other places. Mind you, Shekou isn’t really China, it’s where foreigners living in Shenzhen go to get away from the real China.

And from Macao you can take a 10 minute taxi to the border to Zhuhai. You can also get a China visa after you’ve crossed out of Macao and just before hitting China customs.

Not done this, but it is supposedly very good. Would be very nice should god do one of his rare smiley days and grant you clear skies in HK.

HG

Is that still true? I’ve heard this isn’t possible anymore.

Don;t thinkj it is for Americans Chris. Sorry, should have clarified. But I a reasonably sure Euro passports can and as an Oz passport holder it’s no problem.

I believe the steeper visa fees for UK passport holders was in response to the hike in UK visas, and the US lack of same day - unless at say HK airport - China visas for US passport holders was something to do with the slower approval post 9.11 for US visas, As far as I know, mind.

HG