Flip Video

Cool little video cam. I got one this morning, for xmas, and am just learning about it. Extremely simple to use – just point and shoot video, press another button to view already recorded videos, flip up USB outlet, software apparently makes for easy editing, emailing, saving, or simple to plug into the tv to view. Really completely basic, no extra buttons to complicate matters. My model is 1 Gb, which means 60 minutes recording time. Has a 2x telephoto. And the price – less than US$150.

As I said, I just got it so I haven’t done much with it yet, but so far I’m very impressed. :slight_smile:

theflip.com/index_flip.shtml

amazon.com/Flip-Video-Camcor … B000ONDRFS

I bought one to replace my Canon iXus for shotting Youtube movies. I do pretty much all of my Youtube movies with the Flip. I wasn’t sold on them until a friend bought one and I got to use his.

Easily worth it for me. I take it with me everywhere I go.

Cool. If miltown’s got one I must be onto something. :slight_smile:

Have you had any problems with yours? My brother said he sent his back due to a SW problem, but so far I’m not aware of such a problem. However, I have sometimes had trouble stopping the filming – click button to record, click, click, click, dammit, how do I get this thing to stop, click, click, turn off power. Perhaps I just need to play with it more.

It is easy to carry everywhere, as you say. I was thinking I should carry it regularly too, to capture all the crazy traffic spectacles and other odd daily events in Taiwan.

[quote=“miltownkid”]I bought one to replace my Canon iXus for shotting Youtube movies. I do pretty much all of my Youtube movies with the Flip. I wasn’t sold on them until a friend bought one and I got to use his.

Easily worth it for me. I take it with me everywhere I go.[/quote]

Did you shoot that Xmas video with it. I think I have to get a video cam for class next semester. And also, I have just recently been in contact with all my family members, which means I think I will be doing a doc about my mother’s side. So, will this give me clear and professional video?

I have AVID on my MAC so I don’t need to invest in any junk video cam, I need something worthy.
:smiley:

[quote=“Namahottie”]Did you shoot that Xmas video with it. I think I have to get a video cam for class next semester. And also, I have just recently been in contact with all my family members, which means I think I will be doing a doc about my mother’s side. So, will this give me clear and professional video?

I have AVID on my MAC so I don’t need to invest in any junk video cam, I need something worthy.
:smiley:[/quote]
That christmas video was done with a Sony digital camera. I’m not sure what “professional” video would be. If you’re going to be using the video for upload to a video sharing site like Youtube, it does really well. If you wanted make a DVD, maybe it wouldn’t be so hot.

I stopped using the software pretty quickly. I just open the folders from the camera up and save the videos to my computer. Then I do the editing with Windows Movie Maker. I think you might be having the same problem I used to and that was just even hitting the button. :stuck_out_tongue: It’s kind of hard to hit that button sometimes, I kind of use a thumb nail to do it.

That’s exaclty what they’re designed for. You can pop it out and start filming really quickly.

Where can these Flip cams be bought? How much do they sell for in Taiwan?

Tried to buy it off AMAZON, but restricted to sell within the USA.
Tried AMAZON UK, but its twice the price
Tried Yahoo Taiwan, but cannot be found

Can it be bought in Taiwan? Or are there any equivalents in Taiwan for this?

So what’s the advantage of this thing over the movie mode on my Canon SD800IS? I have the Canon on me at all times anyway, and it has wide angle, more focal lengths and focusing available, and image stabilization. Why have two things when one will do?

And how would it compare with the (waterproof) Sanyo Xacti E1 camcorder? It’s not suitable for scuba diving, but it’s good for the pool, and maybe even snorkeling. You can get it at FNAC for about 15k, I think.

We love ours. Works completely as advertised. We purchased the Flip Video Ultra (the model above the one pictured above) for less than $4000NT.

I have one, and I love it. It’s the epitome of ease and user-friendliness. Check out this cool review: The Flip Ultra Video Recorder

And Sandman likes mine so much he wants one to document the growing up of Sandbaby. Are they for sale yet in Taiwan?

I don’t know, but I fly to America tomorrow :yay:

and I’m definitely bringing the Flip to help document the visit, because the folks are now 80 years old, so there may not be many more of these occasions, and the Flip sure is easy to carry and use.

[quote=“Maoman”]I have one, and I love it. It’s the epitome of ease and user-friendliness. Check out this cool review: The Flip Ultra Video Recorder

And Sandman likes mine so much he wants one to document the growing up of Sandbaby. Are they for sale yet in Taiwan?[/quote]

They can’t be bought in stores here but I found one online.