Flob.com... I just don't get it

Maybe because I don’t know the secret handshake that gets me into the inner sanctum. Never was much into cliques. But I stand here confused in my monthly visit of forumosa.com, of how certain posters with rather high daily post counts continuously complain about this website yet, like crack addicts who have long failed the marshmallow test, can’t stay away.

I can understand complaining about Taiwan yet not leaving. I mean, you need a plane ticket or at least a couple thousand NT$ to avoid the situation that displeases you, but for the life of me, I cannot get my head around those who constantly complain about the admin, the setup, the posters, the threads, the banners, the moderators, the links, the colors, the name, the logo, the fonts, the smell…(you get my point, right?) and then KEEP POSTING.

Please, someone of the flob squad, enlighten me with the point of populating a website you don’t like. Explain to me why simply walking away and joining of the the 5.8 gazillion other web forums out there is not an option for you. Seriously, this is the kind of thing that causes aneurysms and I like my blood vessels too much to allow you to continue baffling me.

This is kind of like that joke with the two old women in the restaurant…

Old woman 1: The food here is so awful.

Old woman 2: Yes, and such small portions.

Not drawing any connections between the flob squad and grumpy, persnickety old women, but the line does seem to be floating in that direction.

I am listening. No, really.

Maybe it’s like hanging out at the same old bars in the Combat Zone. Musty, skanky, run-down, makes you feel like a grimy old sad sack just to show your face there. Wanna come this Friday?

Well, what’s your excuse?

[quote]www.flob.com

This page is parked free, courtesy of GoDaddy.com[/quote]

somebody bought it.

um nobody actually hangs out in those bars do they? they have bars on anho rd. now for grimy old sad sacks…

Where does the term ‘flob’ come from anyway?

It’s bolf, backwards.

apparently it means “free-loading oxygen breather”

Two words: TomHill.

Two words: TomHill.[/quote]

That’s one word.

Two words: TomHill.[/quote]

That’s one word.[/quote]

You just don’t understand Dr. McCoy humour culture.

Well, what’s your excuse?[/quote]

Not quite sure what you meant there, Jimmy. I’m not unhappy on this website or complain about how it’s run, who runs it, who is on it, what they say, how they say it, how many words they use to say it, the coding in which they say it with, ad nauseum. Hell, I only stopped modding on this website after six years because I felt guilty for not giving the job the attention it deserved. I’m just too involved in other stuff (like finally making the move back to real-life after threatening to leave la ihla fantasia for the last 5 years) to be as heavily involved as I was in the past.

I have no beef with the forums nor most posters, but it does twist my unders to hear people whinge about a place they voluntarily frequent (and frequently to boot) because any kind of negativity just breeds more of the like.

To be honest, a lot of the complaining about posters’ styles by the flob squad are often the same things that they have done to others, and immunity and special treatment they complain others receive have, in quite a few occasions, been bestowed upon them.

I don’t know. Maybe it’s in fun. Maybe it’s genuine. Maybe it’s on different levels for different people. But one thing is that it seems to be consistent. And persistent. And seems magnetic for other naysayers with no attempt at making a change for the positive, just perpetuating the negative. I am just simply trying to get my head around the purpose of it all. I’m of an analytical mind so you’ll have to forgive me for wanting to know why someone would bother hanging around a place where they hate everyone and how everything is done there.

If you’re only on once a month, why don’t you get yourself suspended for the times inbetween? I mean, what’s the point in not being here and not being banned?

Love the minority, despise the majority. It’s simple. Plus, I don’t watch TV. It’s my brain’s spazz-out when I’m tired/at work.

And there’s even a smiley for the secret handshake.

This one.

According to the OP, they are a clique. Who are they?

By the way, I passed the marshmallow test…

T.

[quote=“Tinman”]According to the OP, they are a clique. Who are they?

By the way, I passed the marshmallow test…

T.[/quote]

If you have to ask…

[quote=“Tinman”]By the way, I passed the marshmallow test…

T.[/quote]

Good, so then you can tell me what the marshmallow test is. :ponder:

Edit: Oh yeah! I knew that!

Deferred gratification
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Deferred gratification or delayed gratification is the ability to wait in order to obtain something that one wants. This ability is usually considered to be a personality trait which is important for life success. Daniel Goleman has suggested that it is an important component of emotional intelligence. People who lack this trait are said to need instant gratification and may suffer from poor impulse control.

[quote=“housecat”]Good, so then you can tell me what the marshmallow test is. :ponder:

Edit: Oh yeah! I knew that!

Deferred gratification
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Deferred gratification or delayed gratification is the ability to wait in order to obtain something that one wants. This ability is usually considered to be a personality trait which is important for life success. Daniel Goleman has suggested that it is an important component of emotional intelligence. People who lack this trait are said to need instant gratification and may suffer from poor impulse control.[/quote]
Ahhh…that quickie definition was good. Give me another one, quick!