Flour tortillas

is there anywhere in taipei that i can get some flour tortillas from?

Florida Bakery and Costco. They’re the same brand, but I have a big family and find the big package at Costco a better value. You can freeze some.

Florida Bakery website bread.com.tw

Two locations: one at the corner of Chung Shan N. Road & Nungan Street, one at Xinyi and Renai.

I’ve also bought whole wheat tortillas at Wellman’s in Tianmu.

saw some at jason’s (basement of 101)

Best value - Costco’s, hands down.

costco has regular and spinach - the spinach ones are really good.

they have them at the breeze center and they are much better than the ones at costco/fl.bakery/jasons. i found that that brand sticks together and they rip apart. the ones at the breeze center are much better and they taste better too.

Actually that’s Ren Ai near Dunhua (Xinyi and Ren’ai don’t cross); going south on Dunhua, turn into the southernmost (furthest) lane of Ren Ai and go about a hundred meters or so; it’s on the left (south) side. Ren Ai Sec. 4, #26, 2702-1175. They have 6" corn ($48), and 6" and 8" flour tortillas (about $60-70), as well as tortilla chips and salsa.

Does breeze still carry whole wheat tortillas? Soft one, so I can do rolls?
Anywhere else has good whole wheat tortillas?

You can also make them - they don’t require an oven and the ingredients are simple :slight_smile:

It’s desperately easy to make corn tortillas… all you need is masa, a little water, some salt, and a non-stick pan. A tortilla press is nice but not essential.

Flour tortillas are a little more complicated to make, but the ingredients are going to be more easily found, I suspect (I haven’t looked for masa here yet).

In either case, the homemade ones are a million times tastier than the grocery store ones… the difference is amazing. :slight_smile:

[quote=“JuliaZ”]It’s desperately easy to make corn tortillas… all you need is masa, a little water, some salt, and a non-stick pan. A tortilla press is nice but not essential.

Flour tortillas are a little more complicated to make, but the ingredients are going to be more easily found, I suspect (I haven’t looked for masa here yet).

In either case, the homemade ones are a million times tastier than the grocery store ones… the difference is amazing. :-)[/quote]

AFAIK there is no masa here unless you make friends with the owner of a Mexican restaurant who brings it in by the case. You can of course pay for shipping from abroad. I have routinely brought masa from Mexico for corn tortillas (which I strongly prefer) and have a tortilla press. Mine are okay but still not as heavenly as the fresh ones in Mexico, and I suspect that in addition to the skill of the tortillerias there, they are secretly adding something that I wouldn’t, such as lard, or a touch of cocaine.

(joke!)

(sort of)

I had assumed that flour tortillas would actually be simpler to make, given the local availability of ingredients here. You say they are more complicated to make – please do tell us how and why!

[quote]Mine are okay but still not as heavenly as the fresh ones in Mexico[/quote] Fresh made beef tacos made by an old lady with a small mobile stand on the side of the road. Mexico. Hmmm… I long for good food like that.

I don’t know what Athula uses in his roti shells, corn flour?, but they are damn good and sell 3 for NT50.

Fear no more taco lovers, tortilla press is here, also harina from Mexico:

Saved me lots of time, now my kids can help out on taco nights, too. :grin:

1. Website https://www.summerpalm.com.tw/products/tortillera-tortilla-press
  2. Shopee
    SX355