Fluoride in Taiwan Tap Water?

Was wondering this…then realized I don’t drink the tap water… and it is not in bottled water.

How do people get fluoride inTaiwan? Especially the kids???

Toothpaste.

It’s not in the tap water you’re right.

Look inside people mouths and that will tell it all.

I had this same discussion recently. We came up with this solution: Get a fluoride rinse.

In Quebec they had this same problem and so there was a ribinse made available at the chemists. I will be looking for something like it here. If you find one let me know and I will do likewise.

Thanks for reminding me.
Kip

What about mouthwash?
Is there fluoride in that?
Could it do as a rinse?

[quote]The use of dietary fluoride supplements is one alternative means of providing protection to the teeth of children six months old to 16 years of age who consume fluoride-deficient water with 0.6 ppm fluoride or less. Dietary fluoride supplements, in the form of daily tablets, drops, or vitamin-fluoride combinations, provide systemic benefits to developing teeth as well as topical benefits to erupted teeth.

When prescribed and used appropriately, fluoride supplements provide benefits similar to those obtained from ingesting optimally fluoridated water over the same period of time. When improperly prescribed, fluoride supplements may cause enamel fluorosis. Therefore, systemic fluoride supplements should never be prescribed to children in fluoridated communities who are receiving optimally fluoridated water (0.7 - 1.2 ppm fluoride).

Because of an increase in the milder forms of dental fluorosis associated with fluoride ingestion in excess of that necessary to prevent tooth decay, a conservative approach to fluoride supplementation should be used and be in accordance with the revised guidelines listed below. If a child’s primary drinking water source is a well, spring, or non-fluoridated community water system, a water sample must first be taken and analyzed to determine the fluoride content and the dosage of fluoride supplement needed, if any.[/quote]

But what does it all mean?

I like to use ACT (anti-cavity fluoride rinse). I’ve seen it around in some convenience stores, Watson’s, or places like Carrefour. Unfortunately, I’ve only seen bubble-gum flavor here. At welcome I saw Oral-B mouthwash, which I think has fluoride as well.

I find it interesting that the first use of flouride in water supplies was by the Nazi’s in the concentration camps because they believed it would lead to docileness (is that a word?) and sterility.

Not that I believe in the conspiracy theories surrounding flouride - I just find it interesting.

It means if your water is fluoride deficient, you need supplements.
It means that health professionals, science, recommends fluoridation to prevent dental caries (cavities).
It means you need to know what the fluoride content of the water you get is OR more appropriately your health care provider should know and be able to recommend the appropriate dosage of fluoride supplement.

Bodo

I think there is some confusion here over a fluoride rinse, mouthwash containing flouride and a fluoride treatment. The mouthwash is like toothpaste and only contains small amounts of flouride–most of which are washed out and not ingested. This is usually enough for adults though.
I think what Chicken meant by a “rinse” is actually a fluoride treatment which is much stronger than what you will get from toothpaste or mouthwash. You normally go to a dentist for this treatment but can also buy some for home use. (Maybe the home use stuff is called “rinse” as it’s not as strong?)

As for children here, a dentist friend said there are a few choices. He does tablets which he puts in his kids drinking water. He said once begun this needs to continue for several years…, I didn’t quite understand why.
The other choice was a regular fluoride treatment.
He said more and more schools here are doing a weekly fluoride “rinse” which I understood to be stronger than what you get from regular fluoridated mouthwash. And the effects of this are monitored with impressive results.

An interesting but not surprising thing he told me was when studying abroad he found overseas Chinese had much better teeth than people here which is obviousely from the fluoridated water.

He also said they are unlikely to fluoridate tap water here as many people refuse to drink it.

People who use fluoride toothpaste still get cavities. As long as kids are eating shite full of sugar they’ll have rotten teeth.
And there is no way I would drink water with it in. How would putting that crap into your body be beneficial?
Why do the good water filters you can buy allow you to filter out fluoride?

[url=http://www.nofluoride.com/amaletter.htm]AMA Admits no studies were done on Fluoride Side Effects

The following letter from Dr. Flanagan, Assistant Director of the American Medical Association certainly makes clear that the AMA refuses to say that fluoridation is harmless and that no studies were ever done on fluoride side effects.

The following is the actual letter;
[/url]

Fluoride in Taiwan Tap Water?

LSD more like.

Er, fluoride is poisonous. If parents want to give their kids fluoride supplements when they’re growing up that’s fine. But why on earth should I drink water with small amounts of poison deliberately placed in it by the government?

Next you’ll be telling me we’re putting mercury amalgam (poisonous and carcinogenic) fillings in out teeth.

Mass medication. What next?

Bottled Water Cited as Contributing to Cavity Comeback

TORONTO, Sept. 19-Tooth decay is making a comeback, fueled by junk food, spurred by social changes, and abetted by an unusual culprit - bottled water.

“I had a three-year-old kid come in the other day,” says Toronto dentist Sheldon Rose, D.D.S., “and he had at least two cavities that I could see. I haven’t seen that for years.”

Like most dentists, Dr. Rose blames the usual suspects - snack foods, soft drinks, lack of parental supervision of food. But bottled water also plays a role, he and others suspect.

“It’s not the water that’s causing the decay,” said Jack Cottrell, D.D.S., president of the Canadian Dental Association (CDA). “It’s the lack of fluoride.”

The bottled water issue was raised at the World Dental Congress in Montreal, Dr. Cottrell said, as part of a general discussion about what to do about the sudden rise in tooth decay in children.

The American Dental Association says that more and more “health-conscious consumers are sipping bottled water.”

Indeed, says the International Bottled Water Association, in 2004 Americans drank nearly 6.8 billion gallons, for a per capita consumption level of 23.8 gallons. That’s an 8.6% increase over the previous year, the association says.

The problem is that people are turning away from tap water - which for over two-thirds of Americans contains all of the fluoride that they need to prevent tooth decay - and most bottled waters don’t have enough fluoride.

“If bottled water is your main source of drinking water, you could be missing the decay-preventive benefits of fluoride,” the ADA says.

(The bottled water association notes that more than 20 U.S. companies do produce fluoridated products; the association has more than 80 bottlers among its members.)

Part of the rise in bottled water is lack of trust in municipal water. In Canada, for instance, a mismanaged town water system in Walkerton, Ontario, was blamed for killing seven people and making 2,000 others ill in 2000.

One result of such occurrences is that people think tap water is “not safe,” Dr. Cottrell said, and begin drinking and cooking with bottled water, with detrimental outcomes for their kids’ teeth.

Ground zero for fluoridation was the city of Grand Rapids, Mich., which 60 years ago began adding small amounts of fluoride to city water - enough to bring the level to the U.S. Public Health Service recommended level of between 0.7 and 1.2 parts per million.

Since then, fluoridation has become recognized as a key intervention. The CDC in December 1999 put fluoridation among the top 10 public health achievements of the 20th Century, along with such things as vaccination and control of infectious diseases.

The Task Force on Community Preventive Services, an independent group appointed by the CDC director, found that - in studies that measured decay rates before and after water fluoridation - the median decrease in tooth decay among children ages four to 17 years was 29.1%.

“We know the effectiveness of fluoride,” says the CDA’s Dr. Cottrell.

But the chemical is only part of the equation, he adds. “We’re seeing changes in the diets of children,” says Dr. Cottrell, a combination of more readily available sugary snacks and - because more families are working couples - less parental supervision of the kids’ diets.

At the same time, he said, the protective element of fluoride is being removed as more parents switch their kids to bottled water and fruit juices. “We’re not getting the advantages of it,” he said.

“When I graduated in 1965,” said Dr. Rose, “it was a rarity to see a kid with no decay.”

Then Toronto’s municipal water supply was fluoridated and the rate of cavities plummeted. “It became very unusual to see a kid with any decay,” Dr. Rose says.

“But in the past 10 years,” he says, “it seems we’re going back to the way it used to be.”
http://www.medpagetoday.com/PrimaryCare/DentalHealth/tb/1756

So there really isn’t LSD in the water here?

I newer used fluoride as a kid.

My mom refused us to use annything with fluoride while we where kid’s and I allways had holes, because I suck at brushing my teeth, but my sister is good and has no holes until she move away from home and live in hear own apartment as 16 and eat junk food.

Now I stil don’t give a shit about fluoride, but I am more responsible about my teeth now and have not had anny hoal I can rember for 10 years or so. My girlfriend has hole all the time, but I gues that is because she only brush the outside off the teth and don’t make shure the toothbrush get inbetwen. My lucky gues is that the schools here son’t have a dentist showing up in class showig you how to brush teeth.

I was raised on fluoridated water and also got routine fluoride treatments.
I do have 2 cavaties but then I have always brushed my teeth only once a day.

As this discussion goes on and after reading the 1965 AMA report above I am beginning to change my mind on this issue though.
Think about this: The U.S. is one of the first countries to start fluoridating drinking water. And which country leads the world in obesity and serial killers?
Now look at the countries which followed a few decades after the U.S. in fluridating water and they are right behind the U.S. in obesity and percentage of serial killers.

Just a coincidence, or some of the side effects of fluoride??

[quote=“Stian”]I newer used fluoride as a kid.

My mom refused us to use annything with fluoride while we where kid’s [/quote]

My dad made us take fluoride pills once a day for a while. Nasty, extremely salty little things. Hated them.

Oh, no, we stopped that in Canada years ago. Now we use lead.

I stopped using fluoride toothpaste years ago.
I was aware it’s a poison and took action.
You’ll also find it some bottled water.

As the guy in this video says, ‘Question Authority’
The same people telling us Fluoride (and aspartame) is safe are the same people who said lead in gasoline was safe and DDT is good for us.

The Fluoride Deception:

video.google.com/videoplay?docid … qwO1hKy4BA

The Fluoride Deception

The Fluoride Deception: An Interview with Christopher Bryson
In this video, award-winning journalist Christopher Bryson examines “one of the great secret narratives of the industrial era; how a grim workplace poison and the most damaging environmental pollutant of the cold war was added to our drinking water and toothpaste.”

That pollutant is fluoride. In this video, Bryson explains the findings of his highly-praised book, The Fluoride Deception.

According to the Natural Resources Defense Council, “After reading Bryson’s account of our national infatuation with fluoride, it’s hard not to wonder how we could have ignored so serious an issue for so long.”

To order this DVD (or book) please visit www.fluoridealert.org/bryson.htm

Running time: 29 minutes