Flying to USA in August, any ideas? Help!

I’m sure everyone will just roll their eyes here but, quite stupidly, I thought it would be early enough to get some sort of decently priced fare but literally everything at reasonable prices seems to be booked!

Does anybody have any tricks, charter flights, ideas on how to get anything for August or will there just be no chance from now on in?

Thanks in advance for any help!!

[quote=“scj”]I’m sure everyone will just roll their eyes here but, quite stupidly, I thought it would be early enough to get some sort of decently priced fare but literally everything at reasonable prices seems to be booked!

Does anybody have any tricks, charter flights, ideas on how to get anything for August or will there just be no chance from now on in? [/quote]
Go to one of the cheap travel agencies (ezfly? eztravel? Lion Travel? Look around the first floor concourse of Taipei Main Station anyway) and put yourself on a few waiting lists. This year is very unusual for me: I actually booked early (back in February). Usually, however, I’m trying to book about now, and I’m in the same situation you are, and I get on a bunch of waiting lists and feel nervous and inevitably at least one of the waiting lists clears sometime in May or June.

I don’t think you can get on a waiting list through most of the websites, but I may be wrong on that.

Not sure what you consider a reasonable price but after a quick check on the EZ Travel website, it seems that there are still flights to the US (Chicago) for about NT$40,000 (incl. taxes and fees)in August.

You could also try airlines that fly out of HK. A travel agent could include the flight from Taiwan usually at little extra cost. There are also some cheap flights on budget airlines to Singapore and KL in August. A little out of the way but you could connect up with flights to the US from those locations.

Have you looked into booking a flight to a common airline hub or destination (like the West Coast) and then trying to fly a budget airline like Southwest or Jetblue to your final destination? Southwest offers two free bags checked. You would essentially book two tickets.

You could also look into booking a flight to a further away airport and renting a car to your final destination. Factor in gas and rental fees compared to the difference in plane fares.

You would have to book an international flight that arrives early and then the budget flight that leaves late. You’ll need to claim your luggage and then check in again. Could be a pain if your checked luggage doesn’t arrive though or something else goes wrong with the budget airlines flight.