Flying with 11-month old

Jesus Wept!
So what are parents supposed to do?
Stuff them up in the wheel well?

It's easy to spot the well managed infant on a flight. As opposed to all the others.
As many posters have already mentioned, keeping the younglings occupied is the main course of action. I found mobility up and down the aisles to be a great time-waster. The other passengers get a groove off it as well. Anything to distract from the tedium of a long-haul flight.

The only problem is likely to be on landing, or perhaps taking off. The sudden change in air pressure screws with their tiny skulls even more than that of any of us oblong elongated domes.
And no-one should have a real problem with a young infant having trouble with that. Especially if you've ever heard me whimper & moan upon take off/landing.

Especially in Business Class. 
:grandpa:

[quote]Jesus Wept!
So what are parents supposed to do?
Stuff them up in the wheel well?[/quote]

Jesus’ presence has never been felt on a BA flight from Hongkers to London, whichever class…

Cease and desist with their vile lifestyle choices?

Hmm. wouldn’t that cause problems? I’ve heard that a pigeon in the engine is a real fly in the ointment.

But seriously. It would make sense for airlines to have special sections for humans with larvae. Better facilities for them, and whatnot.

another suggestion would be the cone of silence.

no-one begrudges kids flying, BUT everyone hates someone else’s kid yelling/bawling for the whole flight with no opportunity to get away or legally smother it.

no matter how well-managed you think your infant may be, you will be in the minority.

seriously, intermediate acting benzos are recommended for dogs and cats, and there is absolutely no reason why they should not be de rigeur for babies on planes too. less stress for the baby and for the rest of the 360 passengers.

Who flies without 'em? It’s child abuse to make kids do it drug free.

One of the first things you learn as parents is how to block things out. I remember one time when Gail was just learning to talk, I took her to the used book exchange at Grandma Nitties on Sunday and I was looking at the books and she was just saying “Daddy!” over and over trying to get my attention, but I didn’t hear her. Until I notice the nice fellow who runs to book exchange suddenly say, “Yes! We know he’s your daddy, he’s standing right here.”
That was my bad because I wasn’t paying attention and I let her get on other people’s nerves.

Not that I will allow my younguns to make an unsupervised ruckus in a confined crowded tube, but this is an issue you will have to take up with the airlines–I pay a good price for those tickets!

Perhaps you can inform the airline how much more you are willing to pay to make up for their lost business.

rant on
I love this attitude from parents of “what are we supposed to do?” You do what my parents did and wait until the kids are old enough to travel responsibly. The attitude that everyone else should suffer because legally you are allowed to do what you are doing is hardly the basis for good parenting, leading by example etc is it? I mean seriously if you don’t give a flying fudge about your fellow man then what kind of children are you raising?

There are airlines who do not allow children under 5 in business class or under 18s in 1st and those airlines get my business, but this isn’t about economics its about the downfall of good parenting and society’s attitude to our fellow man.
rant off

For the record I fly a LOT hence this being a particular bug bear. You guys who fly once a year or less don’t realise that the guy infront of you may have done 8 flights this week and your child is stopping him working or worse yet sleeping.

And you guys who fly frequently should accept the fact that other people don’t fly so frequently and that they sometimes have FAR, FAR more important reasons for flying that mere fucking tradesman’s crap. And that they too would prefer that their kids would stay quiet during the flight. and that they too dislike the stinky fat bugger in the next seat with his stupid laptop and his OH! SO! IMPORTANT! REASON! for flying.
My old Ma wants to see my kid before he’s a sullen drug-taking teenager, and I’m going to do what it takes to make sure that happens. If that happens to jibe with your plans to make your boss a few extra shekels, then tough titty, bucko. We pay. You pay. We all pay. Your stupid company and your stupid job fades into complete insignificance comapred with MY reasons for enduring the inconvenience of flying.
You got a beef with that? Talk to your carrier. And also, if I pay for premium seating, that’s what I expect. My reason for flying is FAR, FAR more important than yours. Fucking tradesmen! There’s a very good reason such odious little pricks are expected to use the tradesmen’s entrance.

Please rephrase that?

Can’t we all get along?

Benzos for all are the only answer.

Although I reserve the right to mock those with ‘carry on handluggage’ the size of a wardrobe. Twats.

Oh. OK. Edgar is actually quite tall, so I’m prepared to delete the Little, out of deference to his stature. But really. I’ve had big sweaty drunk tradesmen sat next to me on longhauls and I’ve had mothers with wee bairns. I’ll take the bairns ANY time. I’m not kidding.

You say that NOW

Are you calling me a big sweaty tradesman? Outside sunshine!

You, Edgar? Tell me straight, now – did I even so much as ONCE mention anything about cross-dressing? How can I be referring to you?

I have to state here and now for the record that I have recently aquired a large-lunged ankle biter who will all too soon be the bugbear to a planeload of disgruntled fellow travelers. If that turns out to be any of you, I’m terribly sorry. But I stick to my guns – he might well be a noisy wee shit but he paid for his ticket (or at least I did) – and I also stick firmly to my premise that I’ve had FAR, FAR more inconvenience on longhauls form loud, drunk tradesfuckingmen than I’ve EVER had from a squalling wean.
Children or dicks in suits with briefcases? I know what my preference is. Every time.
The kids are being flown someplace for a very good reason, usually. You guys are merely trying to sell stuff. Bloody tradesmen!

I just got my tickets confirmed for the CNY. Me and a 8yr old and a 5yr old. So we shouldn’t be too much trouble. I got some of those hand held video games to keep the boy occupied. I went to the states once with a less-than-two year old. It was worth it, even though she doesn’t remember any of it.

[quote=“Edgar Allen”]rant on
I love this attitude from parents of “what are we supposed to do?” You do what my parents did and wait until the kids are old enough to travel responsibly. The attitude that everyone else should suffer because legally you are allowed to do what you are doing is hardly the basis for good parenting, leading by example etc is it? I mean seriously if you don’t give a flying fudge about your fellow man then what kind of children are you raising?

There are airlines who do not allow children under 5 in business class or under 18s in 1st and those airlines get my business, but this isn’t about economics its about the downfall of good parenting and society’s attitude to our fellow man.
rant off

For the record I fly a LOT hence this being a particular bug bear. You guys who fly once a year or less don’t realise that the guy infront of you may have done 8 flights this week and your child is stopping him working or worse yet sleeping.[/quote]

Nonsense, everyone has to chip in and be on the same boat. No one likes to be cooped up in a tube but everyone has a reason to go and everyone is going to get there. Putting your own personal comfort level before the reasonable desires of others to achieve their own happiness is what’s selfish.

Well, I guess the difference in opinion is that both groups think the other is doing just that. Me, I despise both groups equally. Confined space; be quiet, odour-free and motionless and I won’t make you miserable either. Grrr!

We all fly for good reasons. businessmen and parents alike. and we all have a duty to each other to try to minimize our impact on others. That’s a big chunk of the reason I asked the question that began the thread.

Nevertheless, all you can do is your best. Big guys should try not to take up more space than is their due but all they can do is try to do their best (I was once stuck between two guys on Albright’s secret service detail from Minneapolis to Beijing). Businessmen should try not to throw hissy fits when they get on the plane at the last minute and there’s no room for their right-up-to-the-size-limit carry-on. And parents should definitely do their best to keep their children as happy and quiet as possible for everyone’s sake (including their own and the children’s).

But all anyone can do is their best. Society inevitably entails friction. (Surely those of us who live on a island this densely populated can appreciate that.) To minimize the importance of other people’s reasons for traveling by labeling them “lifestyle choices” or “making a sheckel” is counterproductive and only adds to the aggravation of air travel. Having a child is no more “a lifestyle choice” than choosing a career. I have devoted twenty years to my career and will devote the rest of my life to my child (and my career as well). It’s not some superficial affectation like a taste in Blaxsploitation movies. Moreover, it is a social good. There can be no production without reproduction. For all the problems of overpopulation, greying populations are a demographic disaster. If people didn’t make children of their own accord, the government would have to pay them to do so. (In Russia where this is a major problem the government does. And as for sheckles, we all have to make them, and we all depend on everyone else doing the best at their own (ethical) lines of work. However, if you do travel for business, you are likely compensated as you are in part because of the trouble you have to put up with in flying. Everyone, in every job, is paid in part due to the bullshit they put up with. We all hope that we end up sitting next to a diminutive grandma who will sleep the whole way. Sometimes we get lucky; sometimes we don’t.

As for myself, I didn’t really want to go back for Christmas. The prospect of flying 24 hours with two layovers fills me with anxiety–in part, anxiety that I’ll be verbally accosted by someone who thinks I shouldn’t be on a plane with my daughter.

I have good reasons for flying. Family is important. My family is important to me and cohesive, functional families are important to society as a whole. My little girl is my parents’ first, and quite likely only, grandchild. They’ve seen her only once since she was born and won’t see her again until I return to the US permanently this time next year. My grandmother has never seen her and recently had a long, cancerous chunk of colon taken out. I have about a dozen other family members who will be driving for hours for the chance to see the baby for the afternoon. This is not about me “showing off my spawn.” It’s the beginning of an attempt to knit her into the fabric of her family in ways that will enrich and sustain her throughout her life.

Children, well-raised and cared for, are a contribution to the future. They will care for us when we are old (whether as sons and daughters or as nurses and doctors) and hopefully add light to the world long after we are gone.

Be tolerant of others. Especially in anonymous, high-stress situations like air travel, you never really know what other people are doing or why.

Nice post. You know I’m just joshing/trolling?

As in all situations, manners maketh man (or woman). Hope it goes smoothly for you.

I nominate that one for classic post status. Nice. Very nice.