Focus group participants WANTED!

Wanted

Dear Sir,
I am Jill Chen, a graduate student from NCCU (National Chengchi University). My professor, Dr. Georgette Wang, is now conducting a research about reality show and cultures, so she needs American or British participants to join our focus group. It is very easy and what you need to do is just express your opinions after watching the clips we provide. For our focus group session, participants will first be shown segments of “The Weakest Link” and “The Apprentice”, and then answer some questions about the way they see the show and reality television in general. A session will last for about 2 hrs-and-half, and each participant will receive NT$1500 “car and horse fee”(the local term for transportation expenses).

Now we still need about 3 American participants whose age are around 25 to 65 years old and who has a job in Taiwan. Either male or female is welcome (females are even better, because we are now lacking of females) . If you are interested in this kind of research, please send me some of your personal information (Such as your name, nation(British or American), sex, age, and education.) to the e-mail: [95451025@nccu.edu.tw](mailto:95451025@nccu.edu.tw) or call me on: 0919-033445 Jill Chen.

The lastest focus froup session will be held on Wednesday evening or Friday evening, so it is an Emergency!! If you can make it either of the assigned time, please contact me ASAP.

This is an academic research and the consequences will not be used in other situation except for academic needs. Thank you.

Thank you for your kind help.

Best regards,
Jill Chen.

Just FYI, The Weakest Link is a quiz show, not reality TV. If you’re researching reality TV, perhaps you should stick to the correct genre. God knows there’s enough of that shite to choose from!

Additionally, youcannot get foreigners to do any kind of work (paid or otherwise) unless they are allowed to do so via a work permit or a JFRV. Advertising in public like this makes your quest even more difficult.

Do you actually want Americans only, or Americans and British, or Americans, British, Canadians, Irish, Peruvians, Moroccans, Basques, Kashmiris or whoever?

I went to one of these on Saturday, on the rather shaky grounds that I’m a Brit even though I haven’t lived in the Uk for 13 years and don’t have a TV. Apparently that was OK because it meant that I had authentic first reactions to share!

It was quite fun. A bit of TV and bit of a chat about what’s good or bad about it. Nothing too strenuous, and not one of those situations where you get a naff questionnare telling you what to think either. A few smart people asking questions for a couple of hours.

The ‘reality TV’ label is a bit misleading, but apparently some sources now use that phrase to refer to any TV program featuring non-celebrities. The issues here were more to do with the way that individuals are thrown out as the program progresses, and how the people involved behave towards one another. (And how are attitudes different in the UK, USA, Taiwan, etc.)

I believe they’re hoping to run another meeting as the first was a bit sparsely attended. They also talked about finding a more central venue and co-ordinating better about the time. If anyone has nothing better to do then it’s not a bad way to make a bit of easy cash.

I’ve got ADD - I have trouble focussing - is that OK?

May I suggest Focusin. It’s a great pharmaceutical.

Btw, does the OP mean legal American citizen or will culturally American suffice? And what’s wrong with Canadians? We’re like the best parts of Americans and Brits rolled into one!!! What more can you ask for?

Btw, does the OP mean legal American citizen or will culturally American suffice? And what’s wrong with Canadians? We’re like the best parts of Americans and Brits rolled into one!!! What more can you ask for?[/quote]

No way…you guys were against the revolution - and look what it got you - 8 months of winter

Double Post :astonished:

Btw, does the OP mean legal American citizen or will culturally American suffice? And what’s wrong with Canadians? We’re like the best parts of Americans and Brits rolled into one!!! What more can you ask for?[/quote]

No way…you guys were against the revolution - and look what it got you - 8 months of winter[/quote]

Well, I must admit, that’s the law-abiding side of us - must take from our British fathers.

culturally american? that’s all of us by now, isn’t it?

:wink:

[quote=“urodacus”]culturally american? that’s all of us by now, isn’t it?

:wink:[/quote]

I respect you and your posts, but your avatar scares and hypnotizes me. Get thee gone, Satan.

They ask Americans and british because reality for them is different than for let’s say Belgians … but to stick to the truth … believe it or not, most realty TV shows are Dutch creations … namely, John de Mol … the fluffy/stuffy quizes and gameshows are British and American tho …

…or, the researches think that all foreigners in Taiwan are British or American … or, they only need less smart people … or, sofa experts …

They were asking for American and British citizens because the shows that they were analyzing were from those countries, I am Canadian though and participated still. It was quite interesting and enjoyable. But I was a bit lost when they were discussing the British show…

Yea, but Canadians don’t have these shows. We watch American shows. Do they know we only have 3 shows in this history of Canada?

1. Hockey Night in Canada

2. Beachcombers

3. some stupid high school in Quebec with funny sounding teenagers who can’t speak English.

That’s it. They should have rejected you outright.