Folding mosquito window (plisse screen) mold removal

Any ideas how to clean moldy zigzag folded mosquito screens? I guess you call them plisse screen, or accordion fold screen. Like… What way for the cleaning, not just what detergent to use.

I tried before to disassemble them completely and hand wash only the net with a hard brush and suitable mold killing detergent. Got them perfectly clean, but unfortunately after reassembly the mechanism doesn’t work so well any more.

So, looking for better advice for the next time I have to do it. Or for someone professional who can do this.

My best idea so far is to not completely disassemble, but just take out the complete frame with everything, put it in the bathtub, hose it down, apply detergent, and then somehow try to gently scrub it with a softer brush. Hose down again, then let dry.

This is what I typically do, if you have good water pressure to the shower head it’s generally not necessary to scrub at all. Costco do a good anti-mold spray cleaner which is very effective at preventing return.

1 Like

Thanks a lot @SuperS54, that’s the way I did it now, seems to work just fine. Two concrete hints:

1. If the water pressure of the shower is too low to hose down the screen well, you can remove the shower head and press your finger on the hole of the hose. That will give you a bit more powerful water spray.

2. I used the “Astonish mold and mildew blaster” bought at the ex-B&Q home goods store (hola or similar name now). Spray it on very liberally from both sides, soaking the net completely. Leave for 10min it so, then rinse very well from both sides with strong water spray. Let dry completely, then mount back again.

1157e88d7cc454448913e3