FOOD-GRADE colored waxes

I’m looking for pre-colored food-grade wax (either paraffin*, beeswax, or microcrystalline), OR the food-grade colorant agents suitable for adding to wax (not just liquid food colors like from baking supply stores or groceries).

I know I can get uncolored waxes, and I know that at Tianshui St. I can get wax colorants for candles, but I don’t trust them to be food grade. I also know where to order the waxes abroad, but since nobody ships surface anymore, the shipping costs are absurd. So no need to post those answers, thanks. :wink:

I’ll be using these to coat homemade cheese. Any leads? Failing this, of course, I will just use uncolored wax, either a paraffin-micro blend, or a paraffin-beeswax blend. I can only get two colors that way, though, translucent white, and yellowish.

*Yes, I know paraffin is too hard and fragile unless blended wtih one of the other two.

If you’re after some kind of orange or umber colour, I can supply you with a lovely batch of mine own manufacture, literally harvested from from my ears. I’m sure it’s edible.

Can you get me a kilo?

if we all chip in, i’m sure a kilo is possible. maybe even 2.

:dance: Gosh, you guys are swell! :dance:

I won’t make any suggestions about what we could donate for the cheese.

I can remember back when I was 8 or so, collecting it and storing it in a tiny jar in my room somewhere. Took forever (like years) to collect more than a rice grain. I may be just a wee bit larger now, but i still think that a kilo might be out of my league even with help.

Sorry.

Please temp me, I have been a bad boy.

:sick:

I wonder whether I could use 2-3 layers of uncolored wax, and then use a NON-food-grade for an outer coating (using candle colors). :ponder: If it never touched the cheese it would be safe, right?

Aaaa! Cheese covers. Serves me right for not reading your entire post.

Um, buy lots and lots of those minibel baby cheeses, then peel off the wax and melt it in a can then dunk your own cheese in it. You can throw away the minibel cheeses, or just give them to me.

[quote=“urodacus”]Aaaa! Cheese covers. Serves me right for not reading your entire post.

Um, buy lots and lots of those minibel baby cheeses, then peel off the wax and melt it in a can then dunk your own cheese in it. You can throw away the minibel cheeses, or just give them to me.[/quote]

Yeah, I know it’s reusable. But that would cost me more than importing a kilo of wax, and would raise my cholesterol too much. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hey everybody, save me your cheese wax please! :smiley:

I’d go to that place in Dihua Street. I recall they have all these cheeses and yougurt making stuff. They might have it or at least point you in the right direction.

They have cheese-making stuff? Really? Any idea where along Dihua St. it is? Address?

Icon, stop being so SENSIBLE. OK ?

You did notice I didn’t give the address, the crucial piece of data for his endeveaour? :stuck_out_tongue:

:laughing:

I suppose I’ll need to bribe you, then.

I take my bribes in foccaccias, pan dulce or simply flan.

I’m sure I can stir up something. :stuck_out_tongue:

I know that Crayola brand crayons work very well for an addition to parrafin for candle making. It is also non-toxic because kids stick them in their mouths. So, I believe your suggestion of a couple of coats of regular parrafin and a final layer of colored wax with Crayon coloring would work great.

You plan on selling the stuff? If not, why not just use uncoloured?

Thanks, Enigma, I was considering that. I wonder whether I can buy boxes of, say, all green crayons? :ponder:

Sandman, it’s an aesthetic thing. :idunno: I think it will look nicer, and I can use different colors for different cheeses, so I don’t have to do labels.