Food inflation, local trend or worldwide?

Yeah, I’m planning a long trip back there later this year, though not really related to food prices. Still contemplating just how long I can get away with (mostly because it’ll irritate me to be paying 21k/month rent in Taipei while I’m not here)…

Consider Japan, so far prices have not risen a lot, and rents/housing are lower than Taiwan,
If your paid in USA$ then you get about 15- 20% more than a year ago.

3 Likes

I think it’s a bit more difficult and costly to get long term visa in Japan. The best chance is probably setting up a fake business and get the business manager visa. Which I believe is what pewdiepie did.

Also language schools in Tokyo are expensive last time I checked.

1 Like

It cost me around $4,000 US total to get a business manager visa in Japan and seemed fairly easy. The only real problems with a Japan business manager visa are finding a landlord who rents office space to foreigners, getting a business bank account, the fact that you need to pay about 500,000 yen per year business taxes even if you make no money, finding a tax accountant who speaks decent English, and the fact that accountants charge about 50,000 yen a month for their services for a small company. Getting an office and business bank account are way more difficult than they should be.

4 Likes

Taiwan is more lasez faire on a lot of things compared to Japan. More live and let live attitude here if you aren’t family.

1 Like

Huh, it reminds me of the Taiwan’s 200k USD “investment” visa experience shared by Bimmerjeff. Setting up business bank account, need a CPA to do the accounting, etc. The difference is it’s cheaper, and doesn’t have the office and local employee requirements. I think.

1 Like

Japan no longer requires a local employee. Taiwan is a far easier place to run a business and make a profit. With the yen now at 135/USD and possibly rising to 150 later this year Japan is cheap for anyone spending US dollars here. Trying to make money is getting difficult if your business relies on importing components or finished goods.

4 Likes

meanwhile one year later from the first post, inflation is worse (much more). Did some not notice last year as I and others did, bad gov workers who not notice this.

2 Likes

I feel like I am getting squeezed on all sides. Food across the board has gone up, from what is already a pretty high base. Shrinkflation in restaurants. I really can’t believe how much it costs to produce factory farmed meat and eggs in Taiwan. Some recent examples in Taipei:

Dragonfruits more expensive this year at the markets - maybe just beginning of the season effect?
Imported kiwi fruit across the board more expensive from last year.
Trays of meat at PX mart are more expensive than a year ago. Chicken at the markets seems dearer. >200 for one leg piece the other week (!).

Most times I punch the price of something into a supermarket web page from my home country, it is almost invariably cheaper there, on a nominal basis, to be clear that is no adjustment for the lower wages in Taiwan.

Aside: Fruits have been, generally speaking, across the board pretty disgusting for a year or more, with some exceptions. The pineapples this year had zero acidity, just all sweetness. And I’m giving the chalky guavas and spongey American import fuji apples a wide berth for a while at the markets. There’s a smattering of lychees hitting the markets now, let’s hope we have a better season than last year. I didn’t check the price, but we all know which way it will have moved!

3 Likes

Exaggeration.

Dragon fruits were very expensive a while ago but now it’s back to normal.

I don’t have someone looking after me bringing me everything and fixing my meals.

I go grocery shopping every few days, they are still expensive as of yesterday.

3 Likes

What makes you think I do?

Right I’m sure dragon fruits and mangoes are cheaper elsewhere lol.

I will admit that haagen dazs is even more expensive now.

AirBnb your apartment?

What kind of chicken? There’s two kind, and they taste different.

The 200 ish legs are probably free range mountain raised chicken. These legs taste like rubber (meat is very tough) and has to be made into soup. They are a lot more expensive than regular chicken.

Then you have the 50-ish legs (still expensive) that is basically factory farmed chicken. These come from the states, and is what most lunchbox chicken is made of. These taste like chicken.

1 Like

How to call these 2 types of chicken in Chinese?

Correct, mountain chicken, rooster I think, the big ones.

1 Like

土雞 is the expensive kind.

You do not make biandang or fried chicken out of it. I had eaten these at a hot pot/bbq once because a friend bought these by mistake. They had the texture of rubber. You won’t like it.

Everything else is just normal chicken.

1 Like

The butcher at my markets just refers to them by size, as in big and small.

1 Like

I know, leaving aside the fact that us outside country people are completely clueless about which chicken to buy, I seem to remember the 土雞 legs being around 180 last year, creeping into 200s this year. But I don’t have firm evidence as it is not one of the prices I know per jin, I don’t buy chicken frequently enough.

1 Like

Am in Western Europe now. Prices in the supermarket for quality food still very reasonable compared to taiwan. More selection by far. But locals say it has increased quite a bit.

But prices for everything else. Holy shit. Most countries here have about 90% tax on fuel VAT at 20 to 25 per cent . Costs going through the roof . Hotel costs gone crazy partly due to Ukranian refugees. Housing prices shooting up. Only public transport getting cheaper.

Its really really hard to adjust to. Latte could be 110 ntd but the snack to go with it be 130nt. Sandwich 300nt. Better food than Taiwan but still.

I heard the US has cheaper fuel but for everything else is as bad or worse than Europe .

4 Likes