Food inflation, local trend or worldwide?

3% is not that high compared to pretty much everywhere else but people will never stop complaining.

‘Shrinkflation’ is the trend now

Seems people in Taiwan have yet to get it…:frowning:

Is this due to being too wealthy or not hungry enough yet? Perhaps the poor health epidemics arent serious enough? Blame poor education quality? Maybe greed, or politics?

Not sarcasm, genuinely curious what the cause of this ignorance could be.

1 Like

Some have no budgets, but it does effect low income people

2 Likes

If there were a lot that cant afford food, there would be outrage. But the pig bins still seem well stocked.

1 Like

Yes, still low cost food in Taiwan!

1 Like

As I’ve mentioned to friends. It never hurts to load up on rice, some canned vegetables, and vitamin C (prevent scurvy).
That # above is quite big.
Sri Lanka can’t get gas, and because of no fertilizer, many farmers are growing only about 20% of what they normally do. That’s just 1 example in a third-world country. It’s like that elsewhere.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1526828273707130880?s=20&t=jVrD9QdctoaGVrQ3l8Q3mA

“The supply chains we have/logistics are incredibly clever”.
Really, so clever that inflation can overcome their cleverness?

1 Like

LOL. Like Boris knows anything at all about how global logistics operates. And (apparently) doesn’t grasp that inflation has nothing at all to do with said “supply chains”. It’s cos your Chancellor printed a shitload of money while simultaneously closing down the economy, you maroon.

As regards Sri Lanka: third world countries are highly dependent on artificial fertilizers and other synthetics, and the impact of food price increases is even more dramatic than in richer countries. The problem here is that it’s not possible to just switch over to low-input farming. Takes three years minimum in my experience, and you need to throw quite a lot of money at it to jumpstart it that quickly.

1 Like

Any rich country can just buy the food. Theres no need for survivalist panic unless china blockaded Taiwan .
And yes the sri lanka organic experiment was a massive failure.

ALL countries are. Thats how we boosted food yields massively to support huge populations.

It’s not “survivalist” panic. That’s just jingoism and puts some stamp on an action that is just like any other insurance. Everyone here has NHI, and some even scooter or cost insurance. Yet, no one has “food insurance”. As such, having a bag of rice on hand at least carries a family through tough times until the market rights itself.
Another example, when COVID first burst onto scene, I recommended to friends to buy acetaminophen to have on-hand, just in case can’t buy it. Now, in various parts of Taiwan, people are scooping it up.
Anyway, agree. on Sri Lanka’s organic farming experiment. It’s really sad. Can just google now what the “masses” are doing to the elite. Throwing cars into rivers, etc.
This’ll happen elsewhere (not in Taiwan, though).

I hear the same thing ever few years. We are always going to be able to buy rice and oil and flour. I guess that
Taiwan maintains some kind of strategic stockpile. Just pay more. Countries like Taiwan can just throw money at it…poor countries and poor people will struggle badly though…
I have a friend preparing for the end of the world in a few years. He has connected all the dots to a very pessimistic worldview, everything is a giant plan by the ‘elite’. who the elite are they never say. My view is we shouldnt be too fearful. Having a bag of rice onhand is no harm if it makes feel better , sure.

Huh? I just went to a pharmacy and bought 100 (I do that once a year). The bloke pulled out a bucketful and scooped 100 out for me. Cost NT$300. Depends where you shop, I suppose.

3 Likes

This kind of drug is a piece of cake to manufacture in Taiwan.

2 Likes

Panadols are like 11 nt a pill. I’m paying a lot for the box.

I think he means the child medicine. Some have said that it is harder to find in some places.

The end-of-the-world survivalists are a different group. They always get tangled up into any topic that has to do with having enough food on hand to survive a few weeks of whatever (blackouts, no water, logistics problems, quarantine, etc.).

1 Like

Yep. Look at the baby milk situation. The mask and tissue situations in the past.

Taiwan isn’t going to starve but I don’t want to be joining lines to get essentials if shit hits the fan.

Enough to last a month is what I try to keep. After a month, I will rewatch the walking dead and take out Lucile.

Had to isolate this week. It was great knowing we were secure on the food front and didn’t have to call the in laws. Getting a phone call every minute asking me to check my blood oxygen level would have sucked.

2 Likes

And how’s that going to work out when such things aren’t available? People are about to find out, aren’t they?

Most farms billed as “organic” are nothing of the sort. They’re just conventional farms operating without fertilizers, or with “approved” alternatives. They’re still hopelessly inefficient (that is, they have a negative energy balance). It’s perfectly possible to produce yields equivalent or greater than conventional, with less input in energy and materials, but it requires a great deal of skill and knowledge to do so. Farmers in the third world are unique in that they are the underclass; they’re uneducated and often completely disinterested in farming, accepting it as a default alternative to destitution. That’s not the case in the West, where nonconventional farmers often have several degrees and a high level of skill and interest. They make money and they generate lots of food.

But perhaps that’s by-the-by. Sri Lanka has been doing just fine in terms of food, until recently. Last time I was there the markets were overflowing and the produce was of good quality. It looks to me like the issue is not at the supply end, but (as it often is) in logistics.

The problem is a LOT bigger than 'logistics". Get real.

1 Like