Food inflation, local trend or worldwide?

Yeah, I should have kept it in case I need to replace the silicone sealant around the sink, but it went in the garbage. I imagine it’s still sitting at the bottom of a refuse incinerator somewhere, stoically refusing to combust.

3 Likes

I don’t take issue with the premise of the article (which I didnt read), but as usual i don’t take the opening conspiratorial hyperbole seriously. Reads like satire

Looks like they have had enough in Sri Lanka:

1 Like

The UN put out a piece then deleted it, ‘The Benefits of World Hunger’ – ‘Hunger has great positive value…Hungry people are the most productive people’

Laughably, now claiming it was satire.

2 Likes

100% inflation for you, perhaps even your brand. not 100% inflation.

dont worry. eye scans, microchips and dna verification are coming with a cashless gouge to a store near you soon enough. Vancouver will still show you right, give them time, canada tends to live a decade behind the world of tech. last time i was there they had anti theft on select items in salvation army. wrap your head around that paradox.

At this point, buying things like cheese will be too fancy for me. I am just going to pray hard that the local bian dangs will not raise their prices too dramatically. Man, I thought my instant ramen days were over.

The whole UN organization is getting to be its own satire.

1 Like

Coming to Europe this winter.

“Let them eat nitrogen!!”

I put a basket of meat, vegetables and fruit into Sainsbury’s website recently, and compared to Carrefour in Taiwan. Whatever their issues over there, a representative basket of groceries appears still significantly cheaper across the board in Britain than Taiwan.

3 Likes

That’s your problem there. You are eating fruit, meat and vegetables.

6 Likes

If I buy only oil I’m hit with a 100% inflated price. Olive oil at Costco almost double price now too.

I just bought rice bran oil from Carrefour today. It was about the same price per bottle it has been for quite a while.

Wait until the next rice harvest in Italy is in. Rice is in trouble due to water shortage in Northern Italy. No rice, no bran to press oil.

I always thought rice bran would be in surplus, just thinking of the enormous amount of polished rice consumed in Asia versus brown rice. Don’t expellers just buy rice bran on commodity markets?

The market generally expands to fit the shape of the container. If there’s rice bran going cheap, someone will invest in doing something profitable with it, and at this point there are a certain number of people absorbing a certain expected tonnage of rice bran at a certain expected price.

Problem is that it takes quite a lot of investment to do something useful with rice bran, so if all that plant is at risk of sitting idle, or at best is only putting out 50% of the usual amount of product, consumer prices will tend to rise as the (very small) rice harvest comes in. I suspect what will happen is that some of the rice-bran sinks (eg., animal feed) will switch to using a roughly-equivalent commodity, so the oil producers (who have a higher-markup product) will still be able to get supplies.

As BP said, the increases in energy prices and raw materials prices haven’t really filtered through quite yet.

That’s after expelling the oil. Feed is the last step.

There’s not such a thing as a bespoke rice bran oil plant is there? I thought you could wack any oil seed in these industrial oil extractors and they will produce something.

Sometimes, sometimes not. Depends on the feed quality and the animal. If you’ve taken the oil out then there’s almost nothing of value in there.

Expected olive harvest