Food inflation, local trend or worldwide?

More CO2 news: I wonder how Taiwan is affected by this, or if they are.

CRAFT BREWERY INDUSTRY REBOUNDS NEAR PRE-PANDEMIC LEVELS

The problem stems from one of the nation’s largest gas production hubs in Mississippi called the Jackson Dome. It’s a natural source for CO2, and it’s where many breweries get their supply from.

John Raquet, the Chairman and Founder of Gas World, a leading news outlet covering the gas industry, says the dome is still producing CO2, but has elevated levels of other hydrocarbons that do not meet food and beverage standards for use.

“It’s causing a tightness in the market,” Raquet said. "I think it is a crisis at the moment when you have breweries telling their staff you’re going to be laid off because we’re not getting supplies until September or October.

NYC PUB SELLS GALLON OF BEER FOR PRICE OF GAS TO PROTEST BIDEN INFLATION

Night Shift Brewing in Massachusetts is the first brewery to announce it’s cutting its workforce because of the shortage.

The Jackson Dome is owned by the energy company, Denbury Inc. In a written statement to Fox Business, the company says:

“The CO2 produced at Jackson Dome has been and is being produced within all regulatory requirements, and the composition of the delivered CO2 continues to meet contractual specifications. Denbury and our industrial customers are well aware that the CO2 from Jackson Dome includes small amounts of other naturally-occurring components. Certain of our customers with specific needs, such as food and beverage grade requirements, are working to address processing issues that may exist in their distribution chains. We are assisting them in timely resolving these matters, as appropriate.”

Landry says if the CO2 does not meet beverage standards, it has the potential to create off flavors in their beer.

FINLAND BREWERY LAUNCHES NATO-INSPIRED BEER

But the shortage isn’t affecting only the beer industry.

“It’s food processors as well,” Raquet said. “Chicken, food freezing, food chilling, they use CO2 and dry ice. It’s having a roll on effect.”

Raquet says the quality concerns at Jackson Dome come at non-ideal time for the gas industry. Ammonia plants are another source for CO2 across the U.S, but in the summer, many of them go offline for maintenance work.

“By the end of September, things should start to come back to normal,” Raquet said. ’

1 Like

[quote=“Belgian_Pie, post:501, topic:207860, full:true”].

NYC PUB SELLS GALLON OF BEER FOR PRICE OF GAS TO PROTEST BIDEN INFLATION

[/quote]

I am confused. I think everyone would LOVE beer to be THAT cheap! that’s ridiculously cheap. if that’s the price we pay to not support russian war machines, I am ALL in :slight_smile:

Speaking of Russian war machine…

They can’t even bore a BMP barrel on center… In Soviet Russia, engineer engineers YOU!!!

So I just moved to Taichung and went to a bar near my place. The cocktails are about $100 more than in Pingtung, where I came from, which I can kind of accept. But … They want $300 for a pint of Orion draft beer! Wtf!

And again, I stopped by a breakfast restaurant near to the aforementioned bar, and 8 xiaolongbao are going for $125! What is happening to this country?! Jesus Christ

Perhaps find other establishments to frequent?

But yes Taichung will be more expensive than Pingtung . . . conspicuously more money floating around in the former.

Guy

1 Like

Dragon fruits are like cardboard. Why would anyone eat that?
And what’s an “elsewhere lol”?

High inflation is the new norm. High gas prices and lack of confidence securing oil permits are hitting all aspects of the supply chain.

The problem is that to offer “alternative energy” as a solution first you must present an alternative. With President Biden at the helm, I’m all bears.

1 Like

Leave @the_bear (s) out of this. :rofl:

Guy

More money, less enforcement. No where is cheaper than Pingtung probably, so it isnt the best example to draw an average from.

Bars are always inflated. for centuries. so I think that is fair game. No one goes there for a deal, it is legal narcotic robbery. Drink elsewhere. I eat out and drink in, it is just better on all levels.

blasphemy. If you need sweet, add the sugary powders other people add. Otherwise buy smaller red dragon fruit, not the pumped up fertilizer balls. Good taste, great base.

It’s galactic beer!

They don’t want you?

Unless it’s HH?

Not bad at all really. Just a few precent that can mostly be avoided shopping smartly. My food prices have been steady, both home cooking and in take-out restaurants. I just got a good deal on an apartment. Utilities and gas are government monopolies, so those have been steady. Besides occasional gifts and utilities, I only spend money on food and mortgages. I do fear what my next plane ticket will cost, but maybe I’ll get lucky. Just avoid the gouging in Taipei and you’re fine.

What is HH?

Happy hour?

I thought Happy Hours at bars and restaraunts were cheaper, not more inflated, to get rid of old stock and expiring food.

Nobody goes there for a deal, unless it is happy hour. Eg. buy one get one is a good deal, and gets people in the door

Just a year ago hydrogen was falling rapidly, near $1.75/kg. Now it’s pushing $7/kg I think. Impossible to make ammonia (nitrogen) without cheap hydrogen unless there’s another method used I’m unfamiliar with. Yet another problem that wouldn’t exist if the world had gone all nuclear energy starting in the 60s~70s. Nuclear plants are ideal to make hydrogen.