Food inflation, local trend or worldwide?

You know potato chips are sold by weight right? But the reason why bags are filled with a bunch of air is so they don’t crumble to pieces by the time you buy it.

1 Like

Pringles are sold by an average amount of ‘chips’.

The majority of food is sold by weight. but not all are packaged with beyond overkill marketing practices :slight_smile:

But it’s still true that the reason potato chips are packed in oversized bags, inflated with air so that the content doesn’t become powder once you buy it. You will notice that only stackable chips (like pringles) are not packed this way, because the stacking allows them to not require so much air to keep it whole. But I hate pringles, it doesn’t taste like potato chips.

Stackable chips are actually reconstituted potatoes, not whole potatoes.

1 Like

Yes. But the point remains valid even if some wiggle room is required for crushing. As with many packaging types, wastage at it’s most literal meaning.

That ‘oven baked’ line has been around for a long time. Seems to be some sort of health slogan. At the end of the day it is surface contact with oil at high temperature that is cooking them, I’d be shocked if it made a huge difference health wise. Maybe the baking rig is easier to clean than the vats? Typically these food processors do something which helps their process, and then try and re-label it as a benefit for the customer.

3 Likes

there are likely differences between stable “low” temp baking compared to extreme high temp flash fried products. Especially given one is contained and electric compared to.many that are open and gas. Seems lots of interest in study on lung cancers, for example, and indoor combustable cooking methods. Worth a thought.

The minimum taxi fair in Greater Taipei will be raised to NT$85 (US$2.77) in April next year, while the prolonged metering rate will be changed to NT$5 for every 60 seconds.

Due to inflation and other economic pressures, the Taipei Taxi Drivers Union in March issued a proposal to the Taipei City Public Transportation Office that the minimum fare be raised from the current NT$70 for the first 1.25 kilometers to NT$100. It also suggested the prolonged metering rate be adjusted from the current NT$5 for every 80 seconds a taxi moves slower than 5 kph to 60 seconds.

At the beginning of this month, the Taipei City Government convened a committee to deliberate this change and has made a final decision. The new starting fare for taxis in the Greater Taipei Area, which includes Taipei City, New Taipei City, and Keelung City, will be raised to NT$85 and the prolonged metering rate will be changed to 60 seconds, effective April 1, 2023.

2 Likes

#makepublictransportcheaper (and more efficient) :slight_smile:

He said that during the Lunar New Year, many people in Taipei returned to their hometowns for the festival, resulting in Taipei City emptying out. The original union proposal was to have the higher Lunar New Year rate last for 15 days, but after discussion, the committee decided to set it for 13 days.

Less customers so let’s fuck over the ones we have.

How do taxis compare to UBER now?

A 20 percent increase is a bit much when gas is pretty much the same price.

taxis are more often cheaper than uber.
taxi meters have been at 70 for more than a decade, but the costs of maintaining a car went up. Taiwanese taxis are too cheap and too many to be a profitable business, the drivers also need to make a living.

4 Likes

Perhaps a slow easing?

If things remain the way they are, energy prices will have to go up sooner or later in Taiwan. Typically politically suicidal necessary decisions are done post elections.

America does not have good fiscal policy, basically their fiscal policy consists of printing money and giving it to corporations, and letting them decide how best to use those money (hint: They don’t)

Food prices in France (just here on holiday visiting family) haven’t changed as noticeably as UK or Canuckistan. Prices at market and supermarkets up marginally but not too noticeable.

What surprised me is the foreign offerings in smaller cities. I am in Limoges and when I was here a few years ago, one bubble tea place. Now? I counted 10 in my walks around the center. And some very high quality bao.

You’ll still pay for good restaurants and for good reason. Man, amazing Moroccan!!!

Have they reduced the girth of the sausages though, or were they always that thin?

What is the difference between sausage and merguez?

Saucisses Merguez - Sausages -

Saucisses merguez are different from other sausages you might know due to the spicy flavor they have. They are also very thin compared to other sausages.

1 Like

Some of these look quite a bit thicker than what you got though.

Not judging, just saying. As long as you enjoyed the sausages, it’s all good.

Yeah, they were somewhat thin although the copious amount of couscous, lamb, and condiments more than made up for it. Not to mention, a mean mojito!! :laughing: (which I wasn’t expecting)…wine, yeah, but this was seriously the best mojito I’ve had in Europe.