Food inflation, local trend or worldwide?

I don’t know about “very cheap” but they are plentiful right now.

A worker at my local coop said there are heaps of mangoes now but the season is expected to end early. Enjoy them while you can!

Guy

1 Like

Or grilled salmon looking fish. Sea trout after a color bath.

Ouch! Is that a thing here?

Guy

You mean “snow fish”? They’re pretty tasty and expensive outside of Taiwan too.

The world would be a better olace if we ate more local and in season, thats for sure.

People can go out most olaces in taiwan outside the cities and scoop up free mangoes faling from trees. Everywhere right now.

@Taiwan_Luthiers the point of cooking at home in taiwan is normally based on health and quality, not price. Eating out is unknown.at best, but iften poor quality, especially if buying cheaper foods. Cooking at home you control the ingredients an preparatiin, so the sky is the limit as far as your food quality goes… but truth is, as i repeat always, restaurant food is normally very cheap, low quality stuff. Not always, its good to make more meaningful conbections with those that supply your life energy in my opinion. There are good ones out there surely. But buying from agrocery store is often far more expensive than having the ready made version…

Your health is an investment. Ask anyone going to clean their blood multiple times weekly, or have cancer, or diabetes etc. They are often filled with regret. Its not a bad idea heading their warning :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Fruits price higher, Aussie Mango I saw before NT$25 each, is higher now (out of season it, Winter so it may have to do with something along less student workers). Rock Melons about the same price in Taiwan.

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/browse/fruit-veg/fruit/melons-mangoes

https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/browse/dairy-eggs-fridge/milk/full-cream-milk

1 Like

You bet it is, and more.

:nauseated_face:

Guy

It’s like $10 for one now, that’s nothing.

1 Like

In central Taipei, the large mangoes are now around NT$50, smaller ones around NT$35-40. It’s not a bad deal, but I wouldn’t call it really cheap.

Where are you shopping?

Guy

If you buy a box it’s a lot cheaper.

1 Like

They are dirt cheap cos they are coming from Delta land i.e. Pingdong. Seriously. Same with the bananas.

Plus in season.

1 Like

Pineapples are nice and cheap now too. We keep getting boxes for free, so decided to make some wine.

Lunch, $80 cold noodles, pork, spring rolls, and veggies. Nice and cool in this 38 degree sunny day.

2 Likes

That looks quasi Vietnamese.

Guy

It is. Vietnamese food is so much fresher than taiwanese and the herbs/sour go well in summers big melt. Thats my wifes. I got the new vegetarian microwave thing from family mart. Big mistake.

2 Likes

That depends on when the produce was harvested tho.

Ya, that goes for everywhere though. I always like going the the vietnamese brides with teenage kids. They tend to ha e already settled down with a garden and grow many of their own veggies. If not, they know another vietnamese groups that supplies them all. I have found them to be pretty reliable that way compared to ither cuisines. I just cant stand the fishy smelling dishes haha.

This lady’s friend grows all her stuff and then buys the non veg. Very yummy. I trust it more as i can drive by their garden and see how vad the spraying is, so far not :slight_smile:

Need be careful of hackers as its in the news recently

1 Like

Its also logical for smaller websites providing local videos. Videos eat up bandwidth really fast, no sense paying for people in taiwan to watch videos about the biggest trout caught in small town usa for most small buisnesses.

Hacking, flooding, ddos etc are also real issues. But aside from criminals, basic hosting costs are insane for websites with high traffic.

Some price updates. I walked past a random fruit stall on the street last night and asked him to weigh up a pear for me, the round ones, Taiwanese grown. 124 NTD for that pear. Smaller mangoes are 70NTD/jin everywhere at the moment. The long mangoes you can pretty easily pick up three for 100.

There have been a lot of NZ apples hitting the market, mainly fujis. Some have been amazing, and I have been buying a lot. But I have noticed a very high rate of rotten cores or worms in these. Suppliers typically know when this sort of thing is happening in a batch, I suspect we’ve imported another discount batch again, kind of like all the tough fleshed/small oranges we import from Australia/South Africa.