Food Scandals, Safety, Recalls

Not that I think the current sanitary conditions surrounding meat at markets is great in Taiwan

But I thought “wet market” explicitly referred to keeping live animals and slaughtering them when you buy them? (Which in China means just letting the blood drain down into the gutter?)

I’ve seen plenty of hanging meat and dead fish on ice in Taiwan, but I have yet to see any live butchering here (though the hanging meat would definitely raise some eye brows for anyone seeing it in the west)

I used to think wet market was more explicit but have noticed it’s used more loosely. They are still wet at daily cleaning times when everything is sprayed down. And changed a bit with more modern customers not really wanting to walk around in all the wetness.

1 Like

Which is a waste of resources.

Forbidden by law.

He’s talking about animals.

Enjoy your time in Yilan? Like to frequent hotel buffets? If so, perhaps consider giving Hotel Royal Chiao Hsi a pass.

For what it’s worth, I got some of my all time worst food poisoning from the buffet at the Hsinchu Royal Hotel back in the early 2000s. That was deeply unfun!

Guy

2 Likes

was it the bat soup that did you in?

I’m going to short circuit the whole investigation now. Something was reheated and served that should’ve been tossed.

Evidently it’s not a good time to be a high school student in Taichung:

Guy

It’s the way food is prepared hours before and not kept hot enough. Lukewarm is bacteria central. Gotta be 58c. Also, food should be prepared off the ground on a properly cleaned table and not on a sidewalk.
I avoid the cheapie lunchbox places for this reason. There’s one around the corner that always has a long line and I see them scraping the rotten parts off veges in the mornings on the sidewalk.

Microwave food products sold by well-known Taiwanese retailers, including 7-Eleven, Wellcome, and PX Mart.

Inaccurate nutrition facts were printed on the labels of four lunch boxes sold at Family Mart and OK Mart.

1 Like

Over 40 percent of 25 dried mushroom samples bought on the market in Aug. were found to have contained dangerous levels of insecticides or metals,

This is nothing compared to restaurants and night markets. The health department here is a joke. They never do regular checks, ever. They only go inspect if someone complains

In our household we’ve had a few genuine rotten eggs recently, absolutely revolting. It’s only within the last few months this has happened in more than a decade living here. I’ve noticed as well the quality of the yolks has been getting worse with them frequently bursting when cracking open the egg. We tend to buy the more expensive eggs too that claim to be free range, but there has been a definite downshift in quality.

1 Like
1 Like

Sadly, not at all unexpected. Predictable.

“A number of popular hand-shaken drink brands”

Hand shaken? Why do they have the ‘shaking’ machine?

1 Like

I used to buy like a plastic bulk crate of eggs and many times there were rotten, broken eggs in, The problem is when you start cracking and separate yolk and white, one rotten just spoils the bowl and you need to discard and start over.

Wow food scandals are improving, it used to be methyl yellow in your tofu. Now the caffeine level is wrong, tsk tsk.

1 Like