Food Scandals, Safety, Recalls

Yummy. Cooking with waste water is just one of many Taiwanese secret ingredients.

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3550043

2 Likes

If they only just had done barefoot.

Aside from wine, what else is done in Europe by stomping with bare feet? If there is anything still being done that way.

SJW protests?

4 Likes

Europe. I said Europe.

I remember seing those famous pictures of people stomping on wine grapes in Spain, and I think also rose petals in Bulgaria, but that was a long time ago.

1 Like

Europe, America, same difference.

The food police have pretty much put a stop to traditional food production methods. There are some exceptions associated with the protected-origin rules, but mostly itā€™s all stainless steel and bleach these days. Thanks, EU bureaucrats.

1 Like

Damn, beat me to it.

Yet I do trust EU food.

Only the finest organic toe cheese.

Yes. Not exactly SWJ, but some people are called ā€œpies negrosā€ for a reason.

You shouldnā€™t. There were widespread eggs scandals like last year in Belgium/NL and affected all EU states (and beyond), and in England thereā€™s been some poisonous frozen corns and ppl died.

Oh and in Australia and NZ thereā€™s been some real fucked-up strawberries with NEEDLES in them. Itā€™s horrifying.

2 Likes

I think Sauerkraut in the Germanic areas.

Hopefully they used relatively new blue slippers. The secret ingredient for the real local flavor.

63-blue%20slippers

Nowadays itā€™s all made with machines but this is the traditional method. Notice the lack of shoes.

1 Like

Much as it pains me to do so, Iā€™m going to have to give Gain a ā€˜likeā€™.

The pen-pushers have really messed up European agriculture and post-production. Sauerkraut actually ferments just fine without the feet - the aim is simply to get it packed down - but assuming theyā€™re given a good scrub to begin with I donā€™t see how this is inherently more unhygienic than using oneā€™s hands (bare hands, of course, being the standard appendage used for food prep before PVC gloves became the norm ā€¦ and the associated mountains of PVC landfill).

The entire European food chain is now utterly fucked. Itā€™s slightly better than the US, and some mid-sized companies have found workarounds for the nonsensical rules. However, itā€™s one of the reasons (a minor one, since most people arenā€™t aware of the details) that British people voted for Brexit.

Silly joke:

A baker walks into the back of the shop and finds his apprentice using his teeth to crimp the edges of pies. He smacks him on the head and tells him, ā€œWTF is wrong with you? Donā€™t you have a tool?ā€. Apprentice says, sure, but I use that for making the holes in the doughnuts.

1 Like

I am sorry but I do not get the refrence. Will Google.

Itā€™s salted and fermented and it will sour-up (acidify), kill all bad bugs.

Exactly. Unfortunately in Taiwan the produce will go from the shoes directly onto your plate.

Part of what has happened is that EU directives put a burden of paperwork that is no bother for big businesses, but not so for small businesses who get red taped out of the market. And the big businesses are obviously fine with that, in fact they encourage it, as it pushes out competition.

He must have been a ā€œMaster Bakerā€

1 Like

I avoid eggs from Changhua whenever possible.

Screenshot%20(29)

1 Like