Food Scandals, Safety, Recalls

Exactly. Cnuts.

1 Like

Not so surprised sadly 
 never trusted the labels anyways, usually they write something like “low fat” to hide that is actually very high in sugar, or say “ no artificial colors “ but they add a bunch of additives and chemicals that are way worse. The truth is that unless you are making the food yourself you will never know what’s really inside it.
I remember when I was young my mom wouldn’t let me eat anything packaged ( except rare occasions), everything was made at home from her, if I wanted those chocolate cookies I would see on tv she would just make me something similar but healthier and of course as a kid I always looked at other kids and wondered why I also didn’t get the chips, cookies and so on that you could buy at the supermarket 

I consider myself so lucky today that she did that because it actually gave an insight to healthy eating.
Taiwan has a really big issue with junk food ( as most of the world tbh) and children are getting fatter and fatter because of it. I believe what is lacking is the knowledge about healthy eating and what is really in the food they eat, they should teach this in school and teach this to the parents as well.

Most eggs come from Changhua. So does much of the rice.

More problems with eggs from Changhua. Couldn’t find any reports in English

https://tw.news.appledaily.com/headline/daily/20190216/38257324/

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3639238

Plus they are importing from US and other places less prices shoot up.

I eat eggs outside nearly everyday.

This is a reason why I avoid eating at the cheapest places on the street. Cheap places buy the cheapest supplies and ingredients.

Taiwan food supply safety is terrible.

But they’re doing a great job protecting the Taiwan swine industry.

2 Likes

Very stupid excuse blaming Chinese New Year.
At the least the level reported was quite low.

It appears CNY is a good time to move your dodgy foods, and producers know about it. Another reason not to eat all the ‘traditional delights’ at this time of year.

3 Likes

Taiwan just continuously has eggs problems the last few years.

Not only Taiwan . Massive scandal in Korea too.

This reminds me of some CNY cakes of some sort being :banana:ed up years ago. Does anybody remember what it was about?

I also ate eggs on a daily basis
 I hope these dind’t make it to the supermarket!

And the paradise of the world - Europe (though this was 1.5 years ago)

You know Taiwan loves oily food when government cost of living estimates include cooking oil prices in addition to gasoline prices. Yuck.

Some positive action

Meh

The procedure is to take effect next month and companies that fail to meet the requirement could be fined between NT$30,000 and NT$100,000.

2 Likes

Blockquote
The respondents said their foremost expectation from breakfast restaurant employees is wearing a mask to ensure food hygiene, the poll found.

Well at my local breakfast joint, we could start with the simple things like not smoking while frying off the eggs and assorted bing. And not having our long pinky fingernail (full of dooky) dipping in the soy milk when we scoop it out.

1 Like

long way to go 

• food stored directly on the floor

• Ammma kind of washing the dishes on the pavement ( where is the kitchen???) 

• exhaust fan all turned off

• plates where the “food” is served inside a plastic bag ( no need to wash then) 

• any hot take away inside a plastic bag

• i will not even talk about what we dont see and know is happening (cockroach, rats especially in the evening, queing for free food under the stall where the “food” is being “cooked”
    i mean, let be honest 
 there is absolutely ZERO standard for hygiene at the “breakfast shops” 

of course i am not aiming at all the small restaurants and breakfast shop ---- maybe 96% of them

Bon Appétit Bien Sûr

I’m interested in the food safety of all the plastics they use. The plastic they use to wrap the 飯糰 looks and feels like something used to wrap the power cords and peripherals on a laptop when you buy one new. Does the Acer factory give it’s leftover plastic to the breakfast joints

Surgical masks
 lol.

I think those ones are fast disappearing - they’re being displaced by the chains, which have much higher standards of hygiene (and better food). If you look round the back of the average éș„ć‘łç™» it’s all spotless stainless steel.

It’s really only a-ma and a-bei who prefer their dou jiang with floating ash and fingernails.

2 Likes

I wonder if this is just some sort of anachronism and nobody’s bothered to change it? Maybe back in the day, when Taiwanese people were dirt poor, cooking oil would have been relatively expensive. Taiwan doesn’t grow any oil crops. In 1930 a litre of oil might well have been a significant part of a minimum wage.