Food Scandals, Safety, Recalls

Where is the Ice Cream made? I guess they do not use local vanilla?

Good question.

Maybe made in Vietnam or Indonesia or Philippines where labor and other costs are lower.

Surely there must be a hagen-dazs manufacturing location in asia.

“Taiwan imported ice cream products from the same batches ruled problematic by Hong Kong and Singapore authorities”

“In June, Taiwan Customs rejected two shipments of Häagen-Dazs ice cream, totaling 5,471 kilograms after discovering the same pesticide.”

So it’s cheaper to manufacture somewhere and then ship to manufacture in taiwan. Wow.

The product I’ve seen is all manufactured in France.

But @Belgian_Pie , with his industry connections, would surely know better than me.

Guy

eat local, much cheaper half price

1 Like

Or spend a few more dollars and go Latvian! :yum:

Guy

2 Likes

More fraud in the news, this time concerning imported tea:

Guy

1 Like

Follow up.

The Shilin District Court has found executives of Taiwanese beverage chain Barista Coffee guilty of fraud for misrepresenting the beans they were selling and sentenced them to short prison stays that can be commuted to fines.

7 Likes

Does food poisoning fit in this thread? If so, we have yet another expensive hotel—this time, some fancyt banquets at Silks Palace in Tainan—to add to the list.

Guy

5 Likes

A time-honoured topic, revisited yet again.

Guy

3 Likes

Snow fungus

1 Like

Rice and vegetables

I am so damn scared of eating any food that originates in taiwan.

:pig: 產地:台灣 :pig:

1 Like

Whelp, we had bought this tea before, and the taste was piss poor. Now we know why.

1 Like

Long timers will remember the lard oil scandal from 2014, apparently the NT$ 170 million compensation to Uni-President will be donated to charity, which is kind of nice:

2 Likes

The thing I don’t understand about this oil scandal is we got “the tainted oil was meant for pigs, soz.” at the time from Ting Hsin. But ultimately, say the scandal never occurred, and the pigs fed on the tainted oil, is the end product of this scenario not at least half as bad? I mean I don’t really want to be eating pork that is fed Vietnam battery acid tainted oil or whatever they found in there.

Do we continue to import feed oil from Vietnam does anyone know?

The inspectors also found several problems with the factory as a whole, including rusty pipes and leaks in the ceiling, which could lead to a fine between NT$60,000 ($1,960) and NT$200 million.

Over the past few years, Apple Sidra operations have been hurt by reputational hits, inspections, and recalls.

1 Like

Bet it is closer to 60k than 200 mil

4 Likes

That article is a bit confusingly written:

Taiwan food inspectors seal Apple Sidra bottles

Taoyuan City inspectors ordered the sealing of more than 40,000 boxes containing bottles of the Apple Sidra soda drink after a white residue was found at the bottom of a bottle, reports said Friday (April 21).

Taoyuan City said it tested 14 PET bottles, and ordered the sealing of 41,237 boxes weighing 82.3 tons.

Is “sealing” really the word they were going for here? What happens after they’ve been sealed? Do they just wait for the white residue to settle then unseal the boxes to sell again?

1 Like

Has Oceanic Beverages gotten on the wrong side of someone? Skeptical this is just about soft drink water purity.