Food we miss that is now MIA in Taiwan

It’s unfortunate that desserts only really work here if they come in liquid form, served with a big straw and a good measure of tapioca balls.

1 Like

What? Madness! Everyone knows that Taiwanese people don’t like sweet stuff. There’s no way those sorts of things would EVER work!

3 Likes

Yeah the same way they don’t like milk. They are lactose INTOLERANT.
That milk you see in the shops is for their cats!

2 Likes

So wrong. Chua Bing is a fantastic dessert, simple , light, tonnes of choices with fresh fruit, perfect for a hot and humid climate .

1 Like

Leave it in this climate for a few minutes and it is in liquid form too :rofl:

Fair point.

1 Like

Sure, it’s great. It’s also the ONLY dessert on offer here (aside from running across the occasional Haagen Dazs, or new trendy sugary craze from Japan that always fizzles out 6 months later (hello, cheese tarts)).

Cinnabon used to be here, maybe 15 years ago. One location in Warner Village. (Vieshow)

1 Like

What goes missing is those big bottles of tonic water that Carrefour only occasionally sell. There are so many good gins sold everywhere, but we are left with those annoying single cans

Gin is a scary drunk. I’m fine on beer, sake, wine, spirits, even tequila. But I blackout on even a little bit of gin and it makes me feel funny for a few days.

Must be the juniper berries. :wink:

When I was a kid, it was widely referred to as “panty remover”.

After years and years of clinical trials, I can definitively characterise this as a complete misnomer.

Hogwash.
Pffffft.
Maybe the older generations are intolerant, but the younger generations (40 and younger) are fine with milk. They give the kids a carton of milk every day at school. My wife has a weakness for ice cream. Her friends drink milk, eat yogurt and cheese, have lattes (milk in it) every day and they give milk to their kids too.

Heck, they even pour condensed milk on top of that shaved ice dessert here.

People keep these old wives tales alive by circulating them again and again, but its just not true.

Psst - it was sarcastic. Ironic, even.

4 Likes

Oh. Ha. Oops.

1 Like

Did you go to Yale?

2 Likes

No, just disappointed that, gin-soaked morning after gin-soaked morning, he’d wake up with his panties still on.

5 Likes

I am lactose intolerant and I used to drink a lot of milk. It is far more common than you think.

bought a large bag of green seedless grapes at Welcome today. 170 ntd.

Taco Bell. I would have never left if Taiwan had Taco Bell. I don’t care what anyone says. I love their tacos. You can get 10 for 10$

Chic fil a

Any fellow Texans here? Whataburger anyone?

I keep hoping Taco “Smell” will come to Taiwan after I read that it is in China now.