Food we miss that is now MIA in Taiwan

I want a proper one in Taipei.

Is that a poblano? Could be a big jalapeño (to my eye).

I would be keen to know about poblanos in Taiwan. Dried that’s TexMex “chili powder” in the US, something I have not found in Taiwan.

Probably just wishful thinking on my part. I’m still curious if that’s a picture of a once-closed restaurant in Taiwan.

Someone way upthread my have said poblanos are being grown here. Or was that tomatillos? I did buy poblano seeds at Jianguo Flower Market, but that didn’t go anywhere.

sorry… I just returned from Las Vegas. Tacos el Gordo, a Tijuana chain. All a distant memory now…

Said this before, but there is that Auzzo chain Doner Kebab at the Warner/Vieshow food court.

You can decide for yourself if it’s any good or not

Cheerios. Used to be able to get Cheerios at CostCo and Jason’s. Completely disappeared. I’ve searched high and low, and have been unable to find them anywhere. In fact, CostCo used to have a sizeable selection of breakfast cereals, but it’s absolutely dismal now. WTF happened?

Ben & Jerry’s. For a while, it was availabe at RT Mart and Wellcome. Haven’t seen it in over a year. Sucks, because they pulled out of Hong Kong a few years back, so I can’t go there to get my fix either.

I’ve seen Ben & Jerry’s every summer at Wellcome and Carrefour for the past few years. This is in the heart of Taoyuan City, though.

It’s basically fine, but not what I’d call a proper one. There are a couple other places as well. When you take street food, fancy it up, and try to mass produce it at a cheap price by minimum wage workers, it goes wrong. It’s meant to be made by one or two people who know what they’re doing. I’ve even seen a few carts doing on the street something they call shawarma or a kebab, but they put it on a bun.

1 Like

It’s even sold in Wellcome in Taipei. Not many flavors, though.

Depends on the Wellcome branch. It’s still regularly advertised as on special in Wellcome’s flyers, but I haven’t seen it very often in the Danshui branch in the past year. BUT I did get two containers at the Taipei 101 Jason’s, on special for $199 total for the two, just yesterday. So maybe get to a Jason’s? (I believe there were plenty of Americone Dream, Strawberry Shortcake, and Salted Caramel Core.)

Carrefour regularly has it too, but with more limited flavors. Chocolate Brownie is listed, but almost never present. They do have plenty of Strawberry Shortcake, Coffee Buzz Buzz, and Pistachio.

Not that I pay any attention to Ben & Jerry’s availability. Not at all.

Breakfast cereals: didn’t the new regulations about some pesticide in oats wipe out the foreign cereal supply? Taiwan instituted a policy far tougher than almost any other jurisdiction, and almost nothing passed it.

It’s only sold where the cool people live :slight_smile: The Wellcome across from Taipower Building and on ShiDa Rd. have had it every summer for the past 2 or 3 years.

Funny how somethings are sold in one place and not another. I once found Moosehead and several other Canadian beers at a 7-11 in the middle of Nantou.

This. It boggles the mind. Especially when something sells well and then vanishes.

Someone mentioned earlier that Cheerios are MIA now. And then someone mentioned many cereals are now banned due to pesticides, etc. The big, newer Carrefour in Taoyuan was selling it 2 months ago. Carrefour Online site was selling it a couple months ago as well. Jason’s was selling normal Cheerios and Multigrain Cheerios back in August.

I have also seen Chex, Honeycomb, and various Post brand cereals in City Super and Jason’s all throughout the year. So I wonder about the ban that was mentioned and how much affect it has on the variety of cereals here.

I expect this favorite of mine is gone because some ingredient is banned:

028400070980_0021_1450123742396

Since this disappeared, all other cheese sauces have been gone as well. A few days ago I found a very expensive small can at Jason’s, but it didn’t look good. Preservatives seem to be the problem. That’s why Mountain Dew had to change the formula for what they sell in Taiwan.

Considering Taiwan Food Manufacturers are as corrupt an inept as the EPA, it is amazing that they enforce silly rules on Food, Cars, Motorcycles, and more items. Some of the vehicle rules are truly laughable and only exist to ensure more meaningless jobs, that serve no purpose at all. The remit of making things safer is a joke.

I’m afraid it’s gone.

There’s a kebab shop in Taichung, around the corner from Sogo. No meat doners unfortunately, only chicken.

No big loss, as I said, its benefits were negligible at best. Peak value was that one could grab a few falafels after a movie. Staff were pretty obnoxious too, IIRC.

There are still plenty of “sha-wei-ma” vendors around, but, as noted, they’re serving up on sandwich rolls, and all they do is chicken. As frequently happens with foreign analogues in Big Stink, they’re perfectly enjoyable, but remain a long :banana:in ways away from a proper doner kebab, or gyros, or, as we call them where I’m from, donair.

It’s funny kebab places are hard to find here, since they’re pretty popular in Korea and Japan.

It seems like there’s been an explosion of Indian places lately. Maybe there’s a window here