Food we miss that is now MIA in Taiwan

There’s this place, anyone been?

Yup!

1 Like

We are spoiled when it comes to Asian food in Vancouver.

EDIT
I hope I’m not triggering that forumosa poster who had a problem with people using the term “Asian food” to describe Asian food…

1 Like

Sports energy drinks in T[quote=“greves, post:6, topic:172923, full:true”]
Spoke with a Costco manager about why food constantly seems to disappear here. He said Taiwanese restrictions on food safety are much higher than US, with many chemicals having a “0 tolerance” policy (which is practically impossible to obtain as there will always be minute traces of some chemical or another).

For imports, they are apparently much more strict with enforcement than for local food.
[/quote] the manufacturers of most sports energy drinks in Taiwan have removed the Caffeine and Ginseng from the ingredients but have added more sugar.

We only allow local chemicals to poison our kidneys. Get that foreign :banana: out of here.

3 Likes

It’s basically protectionism disguised as “consumer safety.” They’ve been getting away with this shit for decades. The consumer would probably be safer eating all imported food.

3 Likes

They only come once a month every year. It’s easy to miss if you don’t go to McDonald’s much. I went by a McDonald’s and saw it this year, sadly it was the last day. I wanted it again the next day lol. But it was gone :disappointed_relieved:

Yes, I like their food.

Check if they have baklava if you go.

I may have to go just for that reason.

I would call ahead. Sometimes they have it, sometimes not. But it’s really good.

I don’t know why I never though of this before. That would make perfect and seem like something that would happen here.

Dannng.

1 Like

You never thought of it before because you are not that devious or have not been doing business here for very long.

they just removed their syrup black tea and seriously downsized their Big Mac. And it is now Taiwan McDonalds rather than the original American Macdonalds. I now only go there for breakfast or occasionally for emergency protein from their quarter pounder with cheese which was downsized to a 1/5 pounder with cheese.

1 Like

Taiwan McDonalds discontinued the Quarter Pounder a couple months ago.

1 Like

That’s put me in a very bad mood. I have a grudge against them now lol

Whataburger is a south regional chain and when it’s done right nothing can beat it.

I’ll check it out next time I make it down to Kaohsiung!

1 Like

i went to the last one they had open i guess, a few years back in one of the breeze shopping centers in a basement, well hidden. it didn’t stand a chance. the menu was good though, i had an almond matcha bing gan and it was damn tasty. bummed me out when it buggered off.

and what happened to the shake shack that was going to be in xinyi?

Many taiwanese really are intolerant of milk. But they have milk like lactaid that has some chemical in it that balances the lactose out or something. Or is that banned in taiwan

Corn soup. I cannot, for the life of me, remember the last time I saw it being served anywhere, nor seen anyone eating it. The places that used to have it (in huge communal vats that you serve yourself such as hotpot places with buffet salad bars) seem to have switched to seaweed soups, and such.

Dunno why, I’ve been craving it a little lately.

2 Likes