Food Wishlist

There are so many knowledgeable and helpful folks around here…what the heck. Does anyone know where to find, in Taibei:

Lowfat cottage cheese
Lowfat sour cream
Low-salt beans (kidneys, navy, pintos), other than at Breeze
Yogurt with no sugar
Natural peanut butter
Cumin (a spice)
Mexican food ingredients, other than at Costco

Just wishin’. See what turns up. Thanks.

I have seen low-salt beans, natural peanut butter, and a variety of different mexican food ingredients at Wellman’s in Tienmu. It is a small grocery store on Zhongshan Road close by the Taipei American School (on the same side of the street). It is located next to Subber’s and near Hess and Whose Books (just in case you know where those stores are).

In regards to low fat cottage cheese I have seen that item at Jason’s Marketplace at the basement level of Taipei 101. There is another Jason’s in Tienmu in the Dayeh Takashimaya department store. Also, on Zhonghshan Road Section 3 there is a bakery called Florida Bakery. You can buy low-fat cottage cheese there. They have a small selection of other items that might interest you such as flour tortillas, salsa, etc. The only problem with the cottage cheese at both Florida Bakery and Jason’s Marketplace is the price. A small container of the cottage cheese will cost you around NT$130.

I hope this information helps.

[quote=Low-salt beans (kidneys, navy, pintos), other than at Breeze[/quote]
The bulk pintos are in most traditional markets and grocery stores. They are pre-packaged in about 1 pound plastic bags and can be found with a large variety of other repackaged legumes. I haven’t seen navy or great northern though. Nama directed me to some canned ones but these are probably high in salt. I also watch for the re-packaged navy beans so if you happen to spot some, I also would like to know where. I really miss some good old pork and navy beans. The Mexican stuff is difficult to find outside of Costco so I usually end up substituting some ingrediants or making my own salsa, cooking my own refried beans. Spanish style rice is a snap. Maybe if you share exactly what Mexican food you desire, I can help more.

Cumin can be had at Trinity Superstores on Zhongxiao East Road. A BIG FAT SACK Of cumin can be had for a hundred or two…i don’t think they sell it any other way…they got some dried beans and jasmine or basmati rice too

Peanut Butter at Cottonfields near Taipower MRT or at an organic shop near Wanfang Hospital MRT.

City Super has organic low-fat (or full fat) yoghurt (it has pectin in it, though), real cumin (not dried seeds, though they have that too), and other Mexican food items.

I believe they also have low-fat sour cream.

Brownie is Wellman’s south or north of TAS?

wellman’s is south of TAS.

if you’ve passed Lane 728, you’ve gone too far north.

for your reference TAS is #800 zhongshan north road sec 6(even further north)

Caffeine-Free Diet Coke. I will be buying it when I visit the States in April.

Would love to have Turkey Bacon :smiley:

brownie, brownie, brownie. When did you see natural pb at Wellmans? Following your lead I went there tonight and found Jif!!! Jif is not natural pb but sugar and fat. And it’s a long way from Muzha to Tienmu for sugar and fat.:fume:

There is an Indian mini-mart on the 2F on ZhongXiao opposite the City Hall MRT

My favorite dish is chicken enchiladas with green (tomatillo) sauce. Requires smallish flour tortillas and tomatillos.

Basically, any form of enchilada or burrito makes me sing. (I’ve got a nice bottle of Patron that helps increase the volume, thanks to rtcidaho).

Thanks to everyone else for their suggestions. I’ve got a good shopping list together now!

We’ve been looking for Cottage Cheese in Jason’s and City Super for weeks. They never have it. My SO says that they used to. Will try the Florida Bakery…Thanks :laughing:

[quote=“Tomas”]There are so many knowledgeable and helpful folks around here…what the heck. Does anyone know where to find, in Taibei:

Lowfat cottage cheese
Lowfat sour cream
Low-salt beans (kidneys, navy, pintos), other than at Breeze
Yogurt with no sugar
Natural peanut butter
Cumin (a spice)
Mexican food ingredients, other than at Costco

Just wishin’. See what turns up. Thanks.[/quote]

Just drink water. No salt, no fat, no taste.

I thought cumin IS dried seeds. What are you talking about, the flowers and leaves?

I think you can get it powedered as well…?