Food you miss back in your country?

In honor of all of you missing Latin American foods, I went and picked up some:

And followed it up with some:

:lick: :lick: :lick:

Those are images of similar dishes, I did not have the patience (or interest) to take pictures of the ones I actually ate. I’d be happy to take a picture of my tummy, where they both happily reside currently, though.

Nope, too much cheese sauce. We do not do that. No sir. Refried bean I like black beans. (sour grapes, :roflmao: )

I can give you the most scrumptious dessert: tres leches. With frosting so thick you’ll jawbone will freeze. And a thick slab of dulce de leche in between layers.

Talking about layers, man, a torta chilena (thousand layers pastry with dulce de leche between each layer) now that would be a treat. MMmmm

Skoster: try the pupusas place close to the Convention center. Let me know how you like it. Pupusas were never my favorite… until I couldn’t have them no mo’ :cry:

[quote=“Mucha Man”]I found years ago that a lot of things I missed just didn’t taste the same after being here a long time. Your taste buds change.

That said, I miss good mashed potatoes, huckle-berries, BC peaches, fresh cherries and blueberries, fresh ocean salmon, Bison burgers, and roast beef.[/quote]

Talking about learning. I really thought you guys were kidding about bison burguers. Lo and behold, from my guidebook:

[quote]Bin 4 burger lounge:
This hip little burger joint elevates the humble patty with local ingredients and naturally raised meats, serving up intriguing burger combos like beef with chipotle-bourbon narbeque sauce, B.C.-raised bison with aged cheddar and fried onions, or chicken with bacon, Brie, and balsamic red-onion jam… Average main: C$13[/quote]

It is actually reccommended. Who’d knew? :laughing:

Wahoos is a type of fish related to Tuna, but is much slimmer. The restaurant with this name started out as a restaurant for surfers. It serves fast cheap and casual mexican/brazilian and asian influenced dishes. The original owner were Chinese-Brazilian born surfers who moved to California. They have the best fish tacos (not fried!), and the portion is generous, I just can’t have enough of it.

[quote=“hansioux”][quote=“ceevee369”]

Can have the beer, can find some decent fries, can import real Mayonaise.

Can not have the awesome North-sea mussels here. Belgians national dish. :frowning:[/quote]

I thought 九孔 is pretty close?[/quote]

No :hand: The texture / taste of the smaller North-Sea mussels is nowhere to be compared with the ones you find in Asia - or South Europe.
Putting North-Sea mussels on a Spanish Paella would condemn a Chef to 25 years solitude on a forgotten island.
Aside, North Sea mussels areonly to be eaten in months without an “r” inside. Asian ones you eat all year.

[quote=“ceevee369”]
No :hand: The texture / taste of the smaller North-Sea mussels is nowhere to be compared with the ones you find in Asia - or South Europe.
Putting North-Sea mussels on a Spanish Paella would condemn a Chef to 25 years solitude on a forgotten island.
Aside, North Sea mussels areonly to be eaten in months without an “r” inside. Asian ones you eat all year.[/quote]

Having lived in Hamburg for 3 years and went to the fish market almost every weekend, I have to acknowledge that mussels there were indeed incredible. It’s probably the water temperature. Same quality mussels probably can be found in North-east or North-west coast of America/Canada, and most of Japan… By the way, the first time I had Paella was also in Hamburg, I am pretty sure the dude put North-Sea mussels in it… :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“hansioux”]

I really miss Wahoos…

I love naples pizza as much as the next guy…, but I don’t care if this ain’t real pizza, I just miss a good Chicago deep dish.[/quote]

Geezus H. No wonder Americans get so gaoddam big.

[quote=“urodacus”]
Geezus H. No wonder Americans get so gaoddam big.[/quote]

True, I can finish that Wahoo combo plate on my own. But the pizza is meant for sharing… although I have finished a couple on my own…

I’m lucky though… even when i am chubby it’s a bit hard to tell under my clothes…

There is Zoca though!

on that note, get urself a new scale and keep to your goals

i got a new scale and i just lost 2 pounds over last 3 days :stuck_out_tongue:

That is why it’s called “German Cuisine” hehe.
Those big shell mussels can be found in Northern Europe if the Chef wants to make a Paella authentic.

Glad you enjoyed the North Sea ones :thumbsup:

[quote=“Tempo Gain”]

There is Zoca though![/quote]

Oh, that looks like the ones in the ol country! Where do you say that is? Zoca?

Why don’t they have this here?!

[quote=“ceevee369”]
Glad you enjoyed the North Sea ones :thumbsup:[/quote]

Muscheln and punsch was my average Saturday breakfast… ah… the good ol’ days in Othmarschen.

Zoca is a pizza place in Taiwan?

It’s feijoa season there now. And the facebook photos are torture. :fume:

[quote=“hansioux”][quote=“ceevee369”]
Glad you enjoyed the North Sea ones :thumbsup:[/quote]

Muscheln and punsch was my average Saturday breakfast… ah… the good ol’ days in Othmarschen.

Zoca is a pizza place in Taiwan?[/quote]

Pizzeria and pastry shop in Taipei run by a real Italian seemingly. Those cakes sure look good!

The mussels in N Atlantic and North Sea are the black ones, the ones used in Taiwan are green lipped mussels , I think they are from New Zealand.

The Atlantic and pacific have a bit of different water chemistry going on.

[quote=“louisfriend”][quote=“hansioux”]

I really miss Wahoos…

I love naples pizza as much as the next guy…, but I don’t care if this ain’t real pizza, I just miss a good Chicago deep dish.[/quote]

That’s the final straw :bluemad: Somebody needs to lock this thread for the sake of compassion and decency :cry:[/quote]

Moderator is watching. The moment a schwarzwalzer tarte get posted and someone starts drooling about the moist cake, kirsch added and angels pissing on tongues - revenge will be eh… Sour :laughing:

[quote=“Icon”]
Oh, that looks like the ones in the ol country! Where do you say that is? Zoca?

Why don’t they have this here?![/quote]

Well kind of. That’s a typical pastry case you’d see in a NYC Italian bakery. Now that I look, I see it’s in New Jersey, not far off.

Zoca is run by an Italian pastry chef by trade. It’s just amazing, but they don’t have a case like that there either :slight_smile: I was able to get a cannoli the last time I was there. I told him I could die happy now :slight_smile:

Will take my time tomoz to go through the thread again:-) this sun is Mother’s Day, we hv an excuse can enjoy the big meal^^Delicious food creates happiness :laughing:
#tommy525 i’m 160cm/52kg now. But i was 44kgs…lonng time ago…i always eat a lot but guess my BMR is decreasing with getting older…lol. although all my foreigner mates said i’m slim, it’ll be nothing left if i lost 10kgs…lol. i wanna go back to at least 47kgs. but since i don’t hv exercise habit in tw, watch for the calories i get will be the only way.:slight_smile: even though, i still want to try the food all of you recommended!!it’s awesome! :smiley:

Boerewors and biltong, and all the good things that come with it.

Yum yum. Not good for the cholesterol, but I eat lots of healthy stuff besides the above when in South Africa.

[quote=“Baas Babelaas”]
Yum yum. Not good for the cholesterol, but I eat lots of healthy stuff besides the above when in South Africa.[/quote]

Those are Dutch styled sausages then?

it’s interesting how most of the food we miss are pretty bad for us…