FoodPanda & UberEats pay is so high, how?

The pay sounds more reasonable (for the work in Taiwan pay rates). The poor Macca’s driver make NT$150 for the same work but maybe less pressure and not an independent agent. We ude it get my Big Mac’s. About waiting around, it’s what most Taxi drivers do (wait at he airport, stations ect) as well store clerks waiting for someone to walk in but they still get paid.

Yes store clerks get paid per hour. Taxi drivers…And these guys…Extremely variable. Any job you are standing around like that and not getting paid on the clock, all the risk is on you and the reward goes to the owner/employer. It’s even worse for the ubereats people because they aren’t getting much insurance coverage or social contributions . It’s the ultimate dead end job. I understand not everybody thinks that way. Taxi drivers at airports actually earn a decent income in Taiwan because they are assigned rights by a lottery system and their numbers are limited.

2 Likes

24K makes numbers work, 100K= math does not add up, reminds of this, where they say at the end “How, The math does not add up” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEb_epsuLqA

120k is possible. 40 deliveries per day.

I only used Food Panda a few times, stopped after an incident where they only partially delivered and the pain to get a refund means I will never use them again.

What we certainly did notice is with 2 deliveries from a local fry shop that the size of each portion was way smaller than if you went in person. The cut that Food Panda was taking for delivery seems to have been taken out of portion size by the restaurant.

sthink about all the numbers and logisics above. Then ask yourselves a very critical question:

How good (quality) is the food you are buying?

yeah, but that’s better than being a random, smelly pleb

Interesting that doesn’t surprise me.

I am not that sure as to how does these food delivery services earns money but I feel like a lot of people nowadays loves to use this service to get their food.

Imagine all the extra garbage this is creating yuggghhhh… all those soups in plastic bags :face_vomiting:

1 Like

Uber eats is just like it’s ugly fake taxi sibling. No interest or involvement in the running of the underlying business, just there to take a (rather fat ) margin off the top. Behind the beautifully rendered screens of their ‘app’, is just some pretty old school cold economic rationalism.

The thing is, as some alluded to above, restaurants are a different beast in Taiwan, many operating off very fine margins, unlike some of their Western counterparts. I wonder if the one size fits all wisdom coming out of San Francisco, in charging 30% commission everywhere, is going to work here or just blow up in their faces.

2 Likes

it wouldn’t create any more than usual. which is already high because of all the people getting wai dai. this just means those same wai dai people don’t need to leave home at all.

Maybe the delivery guy sampled the food to make sure it was not poisoned. Very thoughtful.

4 Likes

Uber T&Cs explicitly state they can’t have differential pricing. If I was a restaraunt, before signing up with Uber I would raise my prices, then offer some sort of combo discounts for eat-in diners, or a loyalty system or something a bit inscrutable such that Uber couldn’t come at me. Although this would be dangerous territory, as any tinkering with pricing at all would probably piss off regular clientele. Tough for these vendors…

3 Likes

I don’t think ubereats is going to be monitoring the tens of thousands of independent restaurants in Taiwan.

I wonder if the principal method of discovery of violation of their T&Cs here would be disgruntled customers reporting restaurants. That would be a very Silicon Valley way to run things, kick back and let the “community” do the policing.

1 Like

2 dead in 3 days. Happy scooting :joy:

What are you talking about?

Two delivery drivers have been killed in the past three days.

:motor_scooter::broken_heart::sob: