In another thread, djlowballer said this:
[quote]Fool proof guide to making a network run fast xp:
- Turn off windows themes
- Install Firefox
- Install the following add-ons: no script, ad block
- Install a disk manager that defrags in background
- Create an account for daily use that is not an administrator
With this I have a netbook that is snappy, gets 10h battery life, and only gets bogged down if I try to seriously game. I don’t even run an anti-virus program. This takes under 30 minutes ONCE in the lifetime of the computer. I have not had to tinker under the hood for over a year.[/quote]
- Why is using a non-administrator account faster?
- Google Chrome seems faster than Firefox to me. Does no on else think so?
- Isn’t disk defragging no longer all that important these days? Furthermore, isn’t having it run in the background just a drag on performance?
- Do these tips apply only to netbooks, or are they useful for desktops running Windows 7, too?