Foot in mouth

Telephone interview yesterday for a position as teacher at a Special Needs school. My parents two dogs started barking repeatedly during the interview. I said to the woman over the phone, ‘I’m sorry about the noise, our dogs are mental.’ Don’t think I will be getting a call back.

Well, at least we know you can type with your foot in your mouth.

Seriously though, that was unfortunate. Looking on the brighter side of things, maybe you’ll find something better. :ponder:

You should have covered it up by saying ‘by mental I mean psychic, they are very in tune with their chi and are trying to tell you that I should get the job. you are getting sleeeeeepy so sleeeeepy… you want to hiiiiire meeeee…’

and so on.

That’s unfortunate. But on the bright side, we all suffer from foot in mouth disease at some time or another.

:bravo:

That gave me a good laugh. Thanks TomHill.

If she can’t get past that small slip then it won’t be a fun place to work anyway so she’s done you a favour. (I put the u in favor to keep you happy)

I used to work for the Life Foundation. I was fired for asking one of my co workers if she was brain damaged. I wasn’t thinking and I didn’t actually mean it in the brain damaged sense. I deserved to be fired for being such a tart but it was the same kind of “not thinking, hey tasty toes” thing.

By the way. Yes. She was.

How long was it before you realised that you had placed your foot in your mouth: Imediately or after you had put the phone down?

[quote=“SuchAFob”]I used to work for the Life Foundation. I was fired for asking one of my co workers if she was brain damaged. I wasn’t thinking and I didn’t actually mean it in the brain damaged sense. I deserved to be fired for being such a tart but it was the same kind of “not thinking, hey tasty toes” thing.

By the way. Yes. She was.[/quote]

:astonished: For real?

All at once. It came out and I instantly knew it was wrong. There has to be a period of readjustment after three years in Taiwan. 18 months served in the Chungle, 18 on YangMingShan. I am still surprised that: I still go to the wrong side of the car from time to time, and reach for the belt on the wrong side, I’m still not used to people asking me about my emotions or talking about house prices and other peoples behaviour all the time, edible food is abundant, computers are slow, tv provides information AND entertainment, and that people listen to my words closely and judge me by them. It might sound weird but in Taiwan I often saw my words as being mostly gloss to my behaviour. So when I said ‘our dogs are mental,’ I snapped back to the reality that she was really listening to me and that I hadn’t engaged properly with what I was doing. What a berk!

[quote=“bismarck”][quote=“SuchAFob”]I used to work for the Life Foundation. I was fired for asking one of my co workers if she was brain damaged. I wasn’t thinking and I didn’t actually mean it in the brain damaged sense. I deserved to be fired for being such a tart but it was the same kind of “not thinking, hey tasty toes” thing.

By the way. Yes. She was.[/quote]

:astonished: For real?[/quote]

Well yes. But I didn’t think about the fact that she was when I said it. That and I was a kid.
Actually, I don’t think I even knew that she was. And when I was fired she fought it. The story as I was told was that she repeated it because it was funny to her. And the head boss was all like “No way, uh uh.” … Which is more than a little understandable.
I was a kid. I was stupid.