Football: Soccer World Cup 2010 in South Africa

That’s really funny, man. :loco:

That’s really funny, man. :loco:[/quote]
Well, reunion is French. Not a colony. An actual part of France. So, France could technically be part of SADC, ergo Africa. However, they were refused admission because Mugabe was worried JFP would move to Zimbabwe, start participating on local expat forums and start people that Zimbabwe should actually be part of South Africa, which he personally supports.

Interestingly, the EU was quite willing to let them go.

All told, they still wont win the World Cup, though.

Seriously… Did any of you see this: Police hoping to avoid Obama World Cup challenge

Besides the utter embarrassment of the statement, it’s going to be all the more funny when Bafana get their clocks cleaned in the first round.

[quote]“Our famous prayer is that the Americans don’t make the second round. (That) they get eliminated and they go home.”

Cele then paused and said “don’t print that” to laughter from the audience that included members of parliament and police officials.[/quote]
hahahaha [/sarcasm]
What a funny asshole. Their true colours are already starting to show to the world. Effing morons.

This is a “football” thread, right? So we’re allowed to throw shit at each other and bash and shit, right? No moderators allowed in a football brawl. The Spanish are girlie-girls. Argentina can kiss my A***. Germany can cheat all they want. Buncha wankers! Cameroon gonna win it! They don’t have a star on their flag for nothin’.

Yes, especially if it’s directed at the frogs.

[color=#FF0000]As is normal in sports we can have a good natured go at each other, but nothing racist etc or in contravention of the rules. Just normal run of the mill sports ribbing. i.e. in good fun.[/color]

Van N isn’t likely to be there but I watch this once a week or so in anticipation. Dutch have certainly had some characters in the past - can they put their egos aside for a win?

Hup Holland!

that’s a wee bit racist. Perhaps it comes from a white scared Frenchman, n’est-ce pas?

[quote=“bismarck”]
[color=#FF0000]As is normal in sports we can have a good natured go at each other, but nothing racist etc or in contravention of the rules. Just normal run of the mill sports ribbing. i.e. in good fun.[/color][/quote]
Oh you’re so squeaky-clean, Bis. Must be your [strike]surrender m…[/strike] French blood speaking.

that’s a wee bit racist. Perhaps it comes from a white scared Frenchman, n’est-ce pas?[/quote]

Huh? Isn’t it just a comment on the make-up of the team? If I called the England cricket team the Saffer B Side, would that be racist? And I seem to recall Sat TV calling the All Blacks the NZ & Pacific Island team. Is that okay?

that’s a wee bit racist. Perhaps it comes from a white scared Frenchman, n’est-ce pas?[/quote]

yeah a bit racist…though I like to say in France too, it always makes its impression on politically correct Parisian people :lick: These are the scared white Frenchmen.

[quote=“almas john”]
Huh? Isn’t it just a comment on the make-up of the team? If I called the England cricket team the Saffer B Side, would that be racist? And I seem to recall Sat TV calling the All Blacks the NZ & Pacific Island team. Is that okay?[/quote]

Neither of those descriptions is as racist as JFP’s. They both refer to the (birth) nationality of the current players, whereas I took JFP’s comment as most likely being a white Frenchman lamenting the fact that all the best soccer players in France are African in descent and race if not in birthplace. You’re supposed to be essentially colour blind regarding a team’s makeup, aren’t you?

Still, if I’m looking at that the wrong way, I apologise.

let’s just hope that neither a French team nor an African team wins, but rather a Spanish Team, or even a Spanish-speaking team!

[quote=“urodacus”][quote=“almas john”]
Huh? Isn’t it just a comment on the make-up of the team? If I called the England cricket team the Saffer B Side, would that be racist? And I seem to recall Sat TV calling the All Blacks the NZ & Pacific Island team. Is that okay?[/quote]

Neither of those descriptions is as racist as JFP’s. They both refer to the (birth) nationality of the current players, whereas I took JFP’s comment as most likely being a white Frenchman lamenting the fact that all the best soccer players in France are African in descent and race if not in birthplace. You’re supposed to be essentially colour blind regarding a team’s makeup, aren’t you?

Still, if I’m looking at that the wrong way, I apologise.

let’s just hope that neither a French team nor an African team wins, but rather a Spanish Team, or even a Spanish-speaking team![/quote]
I had my hopes pinned on Taiwan, but sadly…

I predict Spain earns their first World cup title. I’d be happy if one of the African teams had a strong run as well. The Dutch and English look impressive in qualifying. Who’s sorting a pool?

The correct statement should be a ‘team of African cheaters’, there that’s better.

The correct statement should be a ‘team of African cheaters’, there that’s better.[/quote]
Oh, that’s right - Ireland might have been headed for South Africa were it not for Frenchie cheating.

Personally, I’m above all the nationalistic nonsense that international tournaments bring out. So, instead of supporting New Zealand, I’ve decided to be a caring world citizen and root for another team, one that symbolises multi-racial brotherhood, one that comes from outside the developed world. And that country is Brazil. :slight_smile:

The correct statement should be a ‘team of African cheaters’, there that’s better.[/quote]

I couldn’t agree more.

Now in France, less than 50 percent of people support their team.

In the OP post:

[quote=“bismarck”]Right, let’s chat about it here. Just over a month to go. I’ll be supporting Nederland myself. How about you lads?

btw, I created a Superbru pool: Forumosa Soccer Club
The pool code is: patemuse
Members of the Forumosa Rugby Club currently playing the 2010 Tri-Nations game have already had invitations sent to them. However, everyone is free (and encouraged!) to join. [/quote]
Come join us on there, Whitetiger!

So far we already have myself, Elf1nDrak3, Jimipresley, Almas John and Matchstick Man in the pool.

[quote=“bismarck”]

Seriously… Did any of you see this: Police hoping to avoid Obama World Cup challenge

Besides the utter embarrassment of the statement, it’s going to be all the more funny when Bafana get their clocks cleaned in the first round.

[quote]“Our famous prayer is that the Americans don’t make the second round. (That) they get eliminated and they go home.”

Cele then paused and said “don’t print that” to laughter from the audience that included members of parliament and police officials.[/quote]
hahahaha [/sarcasm]
What a funny asshole. Their true colours are already starting to show to the world. Effing morons.[/quote]
How so? They’re simply terrified of being put in a position of having to provide security for an Obama entourage is how I read it. Can’t say I blame them, either. It’s going to be difficult enough to police without Obama being there. What am I missing?

Wait a few weeks.

Besides, yes, an Obama visit might be a nightmare from a security point of view (besides the fact that his Secret Service personnel would be all over that), but for the Chief police officer to make such a public statement is absurd.
Any way you cut it, it was a daft thing to say to the press.

It’s called diplomacy, one in his position is expected to understand this concept.

Source? Forumosa’s poll?

France (Thierry Henry) just used one of many tools available to win a match. What team does not cheat? It’s football, it’s rotten.

I’m gonna vote for France though. :wink: