⚽ Football | World Cup 2022

The last two tournaments

2 Likes

No. They were fucked in the Nations League.

Not classed as major in most people’s eyes. World Cup and Euros are the main ones.

1 Like

Which is quite impressive, considering how much stick Southgate is receiving all the time. Granted they had somewhat of home-ground advantage in the Euros and pretty weak opponents, but that’s how many other great teams have won tournaments in the past.

The Nations League is not important, as pointless as friendly games. Just an attempt by the suits to make more money.

I’d like to see a team like Belgium or Croatia finally coming through. They are always in the run, but then fall short. Or a team from Africa or Asia make it to the final. The can never get their act together it seems.

2 Likes
1 Like

Awkward! :joy:

I’m with you on that one. I’m hoping s. Korea or Japan will make a good run of it. Perhaps to the quarters. Would help grow the game grow in those parts.

So why bother playing when you’re going to get fucked up?
England played their best team and still ended bottom of their group. How is that good for morale?
Is it supposed to be some sort of “learning experience”?

And as for you poms who accuse me of being “anti-England”. I’m not. I don’t follow the Bundesliga, Serie A, La Liga, etc. I have no idea what’s going on there.
I religiously follow the Premier League, which is the best in the world. I WANT England to do well, but they continually disappoint.
And I fucking LOVE British food.

So stop it with the “fuck off Presley” bullshit. :laughing:

1 Like

@jimipresley - Without a doubt us English are arrogant bastards. It’s true. We grew up learning about the Empire and had to recite all the Kings and Queens since 1066 in order to pass History class. It’s ingrained in us. But, I think if we are honest we know the old empire is gone. But still we do cling to it…right or wrong. :joy:

Football is the great equalizer - I hope Cameroon do well – they are the best Africa has produced. They have a good chance of getting out of the group stage. I’ll be pulling for them! :smiley:

1 Like

The two favourites.

Ronaldo hasn’t scored a goal since months… He can’t even run at the moment. I would be surprised if he scores any non-penalty/non-tap-in goal at the WC.

1 Like

He is still in phenomenal shape. Form must be off.
Here he is recently up against Ronaldo (Brazil) at the same age. This was Ronaldo’s (Brazil) last year as a football player (2011) and C. Ronaldo recently:

One reason: Agua

No coke

1 Like

Well I’ve seen his last ten games or so, and he is getting outrun by random defenders. And has squandered tons of scoring opportunities. He might just be off at the moment, that’s what I hope at least

Who won more world cups. Also he have hypothyroidism.

I am not a Ronaldo fan but not winning a world cup with a small-nation football team does not take away a player’s greatness.

Portugal is a small-nation football team?
Live and learn.

No need for condescension.

Big-nation teams: Brazil, Argentina, Italy, France, Spain, and England.

Portugal, Holland, Belgium, and Uruguay are great football nations, but the size of population and pool of players is limited. Numbers matter.

Fiji is tiny, yet it dominates rugby Sevens.
New Zealand is tiny, yet it dominates rugby union and is always near the top in international cricket and sevens rugby.
Numbers don’t seem to matter there.
Football is Portugal’s national sport. Cricket is England’s.
Most of the “big-nation” football teams have quotas on international players. Germany, for example. They’re used to playing with and against each other. Greater solidarity.
There was a time when the only English player playing for Chelsea was John Terry, because Frank Lampard was injured.
That’s not how you become football world-beaters.

The level of importance of football in Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Holland, and Belgium is about the same I think. Looking at the records of these nations in big tournaments let’s me believe that the size of population has been a key factor in leading to success or failure.

I don’t care much about England. Fans and media have always been annoying.