For anyone here who has also taught in Japan

Hi. Currently I teach adults and children in Japan, and I’m planning to come to Taiwan soon. Lately I’ve been wondering if there’s anything I have learned about teaching in Japan that doesn’t work well anywhere [but] Japan, and that I will have to un-learn in Taiwan. Basically, if there are any classroom management techniques I’ve become accustomed to using that work well in Japan, but will spell disaster in Taiwan, I’d like to learn about it here, on this board, before I learn it the hard way in the classroom.

I know kids are kids everywhere, but is there anything special in Taiwan that I should be on my guard for? I just want to learn is much as I can before I get there so I don’t do anything really stupid.

Thank you. :notworthy:

[quote=“violet”]Hi. Currently I teach adults and children in Japan, and I’m planning to come to Taiwan soon. Lately I’ve been wondering if there’s anything I have learned about teaching in Japan that doesn’t work well anywhere [but] Japan, and that I will have to un-learn in Taiwan. Basically, if there are any classroom management techniques I’ve become accustomed to using that work well in Japan, but will spell disaster in Taiwan, I’d like to learn about it here, on this board, before I learn it the hard way in the classroom.

I know kids are kids everywhere, but is there anything special in Taiwan that I should be on my guard for? I just want to learn is much as I can before I get there so I don’t do anything really stupid.

Thank you. :notworthy:[/quote]

Control Control Control. If you can control your kids then the teaching will follow.

I will PM you a job offer in Miaoli which is down near Taichung City which would be for April / May if you’re interested in taking a short term job until you get something more long term.

Regards

I taught 18 months in Japan, and have found that experience a life saver at times. Not much to worry about here, except that here you don’t have prepared material like in Japan, and you have to come up with a lot of games. Kids here aren’t so serious about this stuff, or respectful like the Japanese kids. TV is right, CONTROL is a big part of the game, but you wont have to do much control if the busiban is good. best of luck

Thanks Namahottie. That’s good news. Currently I work in a small school wth very few matierials or resources, so I’m used to coming up with everything on my own. If this is business as usual in Taiwan, it won’t be much of a change for me.

I’ve actually been a bit perplexed by some of the posts on here where people talk about the resouces in their schools. Libraries of children’s books, for example. Are they talking about public schools, then?

Could you give me some more details? Thanks again.

Those are exceptional schools.

Schools here will vary from chains or franchises where you are expected to exactly follow a lesson plan with every ten minutes spelt out, to clueless schools who tell you to “go and teach them”.

I have never taught in Japan, but I’m guessing you’ll find the biggest difference to be the lack of regulation. The chaos factor is higher.

Brian

Schools here will vary from chains or franchises where you are expected to exactly follow a lesson plan with every ten minutes spelt out, to clueless schools who tell you to “go and teach them”.

I have never taught in Japan, but I’m guessing you’ll find the biggest difference to be the lack of regulation. The chaos factor is higher.

Brian[/quote]

Thanks Brian.

I guess the best thing for me to do is check out as many schools as I can once I arrive and ask a lot of questions. Thank you.

Brian[/quote]

Hey Violet, please check your PM. I have sent you some contact details.

Thanks Brian.

I guess the best thing for me to do is check out as many schools as I can once I arrive and ask a lot of questions. Thank you.[/quote]

My experience is that English teaching in Taiwan for kids is generally a lot more sophisticated than in Japan.

There are more franchises here and for the most part they are much better organized. Although, it’s a long time since I taught in Japan so things have probably changed. However, when I first came to Taiwan it struck me that English teaching here was streets ahead.

[quote=“Fox”]My experience is that English teaching in Taiwan for kids is generally a lot more sophisticated than in Japan.

There are more franchises here and for the most part they are much better organized. Although, it’s a long time since I taught in Japan so things have probably changed. However, when I first came to Taiwan it struck me that English teaching here was streets ahead.[/quote]

I agree.

Taiwan has a more sophisticated industry surrounding TEFL, and especially TEFL for young learners. More teaching materials, more schools, greater variety of schools, greater variety of learners (not just rich kids but all types), greater variety of school locations, timetables throughout the day, and generally more driven, more eager students.//
Will you have to unlearn anything? No, because the learning has just begun. Not much goes on in these Japanese schools…it’s a cakewalk.

[quote=“violet”]Thanks Namahottie. That’s good news. Currently I work in a small school wth very few matierials or resources, so I’m used to coming up with everything on my own. If this is business as usual in Taiwan, it won’t be much of a change for me.

I’ve actually been a bit perplexed by some of the posts on here where people talk about the resouces in their schools. Libraries of children’s books, for example. Are they talking about public schools, then?

Could you give me some more details? Thanks again.[/quote]

No, my school is a private school, but as Bu Lai En said, it’s an exceptional school (in both meanings of the word). From what I understand, it’s not commonplace for schools to have a lot of imported materials, but I do have to say that there’s quite a lot of decent locally-produced materials.

[quote=“Kick-Stand”]Taiwan has a more sophisticated industry surrounding TEFL, and especially TEFL for young learners. More teaching materials, more schools, greater variety of schools, greater variety of learners (not just rich kids but all types), greater variety of school locations, timetables throughout the day, and generally more driven, more eager students.//
Will you have to unlearn anything? No, because the learning has just begun. Not much goes on in these Japanese schools…it’s a cakewalk.[/quote]

This is really good news to me. Thank you.

My sister taught in Japan for 10 years and when she was in Taiwan we compared notes. The biggest difference she noted was that the kids here act normal. They are energetic, free, spontaneous (at times) and while more restrained (sometimes) than western kids, they are not as rigid and super-socialized at an early age like in Japan. My sister would tell stories of 4 year olds dropping pencils in class (accidentally) and freezing in shame and terror at the faux paux. You’d never experience that here.

Oh yeah, and you need to make bigger gestures in Taiwan when you do TPR. :slight_smile: