For Better or Worse?

That’s OK, Monster, conversations do evolve. Perhaps Forum Gestapo Leader Games will allow us to talk about divorce as long as gasp Christianity isn’t mentioned.

Tell that to this lady featured here:

She died recently, but she stood by and cared for Christopher Reeves until his own death.

You’re right that a marriage certificate is just a piece of paper, but a marriage, ah, that is something different altogether. Marriage is far, far more than just sex with a friend, or at least it should be. There’s a great line in American Pie 2 where Stifler is bragging about all the times he’s had sex and with how many girls, and Ox tells him something like, “Here’s an idea. Find a girl that you really care about, and then have sex so many times that there’s no point in counting.” I prefer to call it “making love”, because that’s what it should be between a married couple. I certainly hope to be doing it for many decades to come :sunglasses: , but it’s absolutely not the most important part of marriage. The late Mrs. Reeves, and so many men and women like her who care for handicapped or elderly spouses, prove that unconditionally.

gao_ban, I don’t mean to come off Christian bashing or anything… nor am I trying to disrespect your values, so don’t take this the wrong way. But, cheating and divorce has existed the moment the institution of marriage was invented. Back then people found ways to kill their spouse, and in that sense… what we do for the most part in comparison is a little more civilized. In some ways you could blame the very same Christian values that you advocate to be the cause of the skyrocketed number of divorces you see today. Of course, there is always the other side to the equation… there are those that stick through with one another through thick and thin… but you can bet the major reason is not because they made that solemn vow in front of the altar. It’s not taking the vow seriously enough that’s the problem.

Yes, brilliant analysis nolza. No doubt it is the product of many years of grueling statistical research. Please tell us the number of spouses murdered because their husband or wife wanted to marry someone else. :unamused: Nolza, even you must see that is a conspiracy theory from waaaay out in left field. I’m not doubting it happened (King Henry VIII, anyone?), but I am denying it happened with any significant frequency. If you have some figures on the subject, I’d love to see them.

Now this I agree with completely. Christian or not, religious or not, people need to take their vows seriously. I think what happens is that people get sucked into a kind of Orwellian “doublethink” when it comes to marriage. On the one hand, the ancient belief in marriage as a permanent institution remains fixed in the American psyche; but on the other hand, marriage has become a public joke, a nationwide farce that deserves little respect. There was a time when two people getting married really meant those they would be together forever. If they had children, their children could depend on them to work out any differences and stay together. At family reunions people could expect their relatives to show up with the same husband or wife every year. A marriage was a bonding of two souls, a permanent union between a man and a woman, at least for their time in this world. Now marriage is a temporary “contract”, to use Monster’s term, that lasts in something like 40-50% of all cases for only 3 to 7 years. Children grow up with multiple “parents”…step parents, boyfriends, girlfriends, mommy or daddy’s occasional one night stand, etc. Husbands and wives are now more like fair weather friends who just happen to live in the same place and sleep in the same bed. Like a disease, divorce seeps throughout our society, breaking apart families, devastating children, and shattering the foundation of our social order.

There are certain Christian organizations trying to do something about it (yes games, I know I said the word Christian, but please, calm down). Naturally they’re derided by the pseduo-Commies of the nation as extremists, but really they’re just people who see what we once were, see where we are now and where we’re headed, and are trying to do something to restore our society to its past greatness.

As if you could back up stastical figures on something like that off the top of your head, even considering you could nab accurate enough representative data -_-. Even withstanding that, it was commonplace during then to have a mistress, even have premarital sex relations. Aside from that, all I’m saying about the deal is that it has existed, thus the ‘problem’ we are discussing has been around since marriage came about, as such… always will be around in significance, no matter the numbers or time period. Not to mention the arise of concubines and polygamy and prostitutes. Do you not agree? Let alone the culture/social aspects, there’s the evolutionary argument - men want all they can get their hands on, women just want one that can provide. Taking that into account, the very concept of marriage contradicts a bit, and there’s no wonder we have divorce, separations, mistresses, one night stands :rainbow:

Sure you’re right in stating that divorce is ‘blah blah blah’ but I think you are painting a darker picture than there actually is… you’re entitled to your opinion, of course. I don’t think it was necessarily true that our society was so great in the past in my regard. But the reality is is that there are families out there that do survive and cope with divorce and remain close afterwards. Sure, it hurts the family. If you take into consideration the converse, that had they stayed together… they may not have been as happy nor would their kids have come out so well either… I fail to see how you would let a few words and a piece of paper let you from doing what you need to do for everyone’s sake. I am sorry for your friend and how things turned out for her; however, I’m sure she would be much unhappier if she were still in the marriage many years from now. I don’t doubt your statement that there are Christian groups advocating to lower the divorce percentage, but it’s not possible in our kind of society where as much as 50% of all marriages end in divorce by the ~7th year… and ensuing marriages encounter an even higher percentage of divorce. It’s just the way marriage has been culturally/socially embedded into our capitalist society. It doesn’t mean marriage doesn’t work. At least the good news is that the divorce rate has just about plateau’d. However, I guess it would be worth considering to take a look at some other cultures as an example and see how arranged marriage couples are generally happier over the long run, become happier and more in love in general as they get older, and have a 1% divorce rate. But don’t these same cultures have submissive women more likely to be viewed as sex objects and be cheated on by their husbands too? Apples vs oranges.

Vows in reality are just a teeny tiny surface part of the actual problem… and I somehow doubt returning to the old Christian ways would fix that, considering if even that they would mesh with present day and be accepted. Why else has Christianity continually adapted and spawned itself more so than any other major religion? It may have otherwise died by now.

Of course you couldn’t, because it’s a completely looney idea. Surely the statistics on spousal murder before divorce was made legal don’t even remotely compare to today’s number of divorces. I’ve never heard anyone make this claim before.

No I don’t agree. Polygamy and concubinage are expressly forbidden by mainstream Christianity. For a brief period of time the Mormons practised polygamy, and some offshoots of Mormonism still do so illegally, but that isn’t an option for the overwhelming majority of Christians.

It’s an option if we make it an option. Apathy is now the primary enemy of the family. If we enact laws to strengthen marriage by making divorce extremely difficult to attain, perhaps people will think twice before taking their wedding vows. Adultery was once a serious crime…I say we bring that back. If divorce is considered a social ill (if not an evil), and it is on the rise, then shouldn’t we do something to reign it in? Oh wait, that would require actual initiative, and work and what not. No no, it’s probably better to just do nothing, sit in pubs and wager how many marriages we’ll go through in the next ten years.

Mmm I beg to differ… I don’t think it is such a loony idea. If representative persons in power do something of ill, the number of incidences of that crime spike up a lot. That person doesnt’ even have to be important… their story just has to get out. You can see this evident in today’s tv violence and media announcements in suicides and murders and racial violence from gambling involving sports… and sexual aggression is just another segment off of those same centers in our brain. Murder, Rape, divorce, separation, having a mistress, and domestic violence between spouses are included. This has all been statistically proven. Even excluding actual occurrences, events such as theatrical performances, and popular books can have the same effect. War just as well. You must take into account also the fact that murder, divorce, other crimes, and religion took on different contexts in different circles in the past, and things considered legal/within rights in a lot of cases with then wouldn’t stand today. In the past, this wasn’t so seemingly wide spread because of lack of media, so things passed by word of mouth… nor did they possess efficient means of record keeping, so an immediate effect and analysis can not be so keenly observed or as easily as it can be today. However, for back then you can rest assured at least, that if a person in power, such as a King or nobleman, even playwright commits or orders perceived acts of violence or expresses it on other forms (don’t forget the Bible and the Church), it has an effect on how the affected population does things too in response to similar situations because it becomes accepted as okay to do. I never said murders of the past parred the number of divorces today, but it was certainly used significantly enough along with other means.

It is true that in present day, our divorce rates have increased perhaps at an alarming rate. Maybe that comes at the price of freedom of choice and gender equality. In my mind, I would rather not our society regress to a time of slavery, racial & gender inequality to uphold values that kept them in place… just to get those divorce numbers down to an acceptable number on paper… we get enough of that as it is today. Of course, the numbers are a concern… but since 1980 has the divorce rate really experienced any kind of significant rise. My reasoning for the rise is just that our reasons and circumstances for getting married are much different from what they were before. Although I do agree with you, it may help to make the ability to divorce much harder, people will always inevitably find a way if they really want to change (the same goes for the other side of the coin). It’s already been done before. Maybe the concentration should simply be placed more on making it harder to marry. :loco: Whoops, that’s right… we do have a lot of nonmarried people with families too, don’t we? Apathy? I don’t think so… It isn’t apathy which causes marriage, nor divorce in most cases.

Maybe concubines and polygamy (prostitution isn’t?) is expressly forbidden by mainstream Christianity, but that doesn’t stop people from doing it. It’s been common place for men in some south american countries to have more than one mistress, providing house, support, even separate family. Maybe it is quite rare in the States, but it doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen elsewhere where Christiniaty is the mainstream. In the past, when divorce rates were quite low, it was commonplace too (no, not just in South America). Men could go freely about having a mistress and women did not possess the power to file for divorce, even if they wanted to, such as in the Victorian Age… let alone women would actually do so if they could, for fear of social outcasting, lack of education, and lack of ability to get a good job. Likewise, the number of divorces might actually be about the same in the past if women then possessed the education, support of the community, equality, means of financial support, and laws that allow them to divorce today.

Make adultry illegal? Legislate morality? Take away free agency? Regress to a form of authoritarian rule that dictates the rules of daily life to the point of mirroring old testament stonings for walking too far on the sabath? That is where you take this…you started by saying commit adulterers to being criminals, might as well look all the way down that road to see where we could end up.

The whole point behind the reformation of christianity in the new testament was personal accountability before God and the prinicpal of free agency. When you start maiking laws on morality you take away that very same free agency that was intended to test our commitment / conversion to God.

That is all IMHO anyway. And yes this is off the main topic, and I do apologize, but I just had to put in my 2 cents.

On topic:

People get married too fast. That is one of the big reasons there are so many divorces. Think before you commit. Make clear your expectations and intentions. Know the genetic makeup of your spouse. Some people, no matter how much they fight to stay thin, end up gaining weight as they age. It is in their genetic blue prints and there isnt anything they can do about it. The same goes for the opposite too. I am pencil thin, would love to bulk up, but I cant. My dad is thin, his dad was thin, and so on and so on. So when you date, look at who you are dating and choose wisely. That is what dating is all about, getting to know the other person that you might just decide to commit to.

Looks are not everything either. Sure they are important and something to be enjoyed while we are in our prime…and yeah it would be great to look great until we die. But honestly, how many old folks have you seen that you would like to boink? Exactly my point. As you grow old together, and age starts to sculpt you, your personalities and love for each other matures too. Your bond from loyalty and love should become stronger and your love for the person that stood by your side for all those years starts to dictate what your eyes see. Then the fears of ugliness become a foolish thought of the past.

When you do decide to exchange vows of loyalty…you need to stick to your word…your word is who you are.

You still claim that people use to murder their spouses instead of divorce them? And you believe this occured on a grand scale? On a scale anywhere approaching today’s divorce rate? This is a crazy idea, and the burden is on you to provide statistics to prove it.

As for the rest of your disorganized post, I am afraid I was not able to understand most of it. Is English your native language?

You’re quite the alarmist. Lawmakers legislate morality all the time. Murder, rape, theft, etc. are all moral offenses, and our governments levy taxes to raise police forces, courts, prosecutors, judges, and prisons to apprehend, try, and confine the perpetrators of these moral offenses. Is it not immoral to murder? Is it not immoral to rape?

Well, some of us still believe that it is immoral to commit adultery.

Well we have a choice. We can be apathetic and cynical and continue to let our society’s morals degenerate to the point of non-existence, or we can take the initiative and institute changes to return our society to its once noble stature. Which do you choose?

I personally would like to see harsh punishments brought against men who abandon women they’ve impregnated. I want marriage to be a serious institution again, where divorce will not be granted except in the most outrageous of circumstances. I think adultery should carry a Draconian punishment. Our schools need to be reorganized to give teachers the leeway they need to discipline children effectively. Strong Judeo-Christian ethics should be taught in school. These are just a few of the many changes needed, but bottom line is that we can’t better our society unless we’re willing to enact laws to reflect our strong moral philosophy.[/quote]

YOUR strong moral philosophy. As far as I know, in the “good ole days,” MARRIAGE was a way for a man and/or his family to obtain wealth. Women and children were property or to use the term of THAT day - chattel. NO FUCKING thank you. Keep your inaccurate ideas about THAT institution to yourself, thank you very much! :noway:

Bodo

Well we have a choice. We can be apathetic and cynical and continue to let our society’s morals degenerate to the point of non-existence, or we can take the initiative and institute changes to return our society to its once noble stature. Which do you choose?

I personally would like to see harsh punishments brought against men who abandon women they’ve impregnated. I want marriage to be a serious institution again, where divorce will not be granted except in the most outrageous of circumstances. I think adultery should carry a Draconian punishment. Our schools need to be reorganized to give teachers the leeway they need to discipline children effectively. Strong Judeo-Christian ethics should be taught in school. These are just a few of the many changes needed, but bottom line is that we can’t better our society unless we’re willing to enact laws to reflect our strong moral philosophy.[/quote]

YOUR strong moral philosophy. As far as I know, in the “good ole days,” MARRIAGE was a way for a man and/or his family to obtain wealth. Women and children were property or to use the term of THAT day - chattel. NO FUCKING thank you. Keep your inaccurate ideas about THAT institution to yourself, thank you very much! :noway:

Bodo[/quote]

Geez looeez, calm down Bodo. No one is suggesting that wives and children be classified as chattel. Were wives and children ever really classified as chattel in English speaking countries? During what time period? I’m not doubting you; I just wasn’t aware of it.

Why does everything think that if we revive the better aspects of our past, we have to reinstitute the darker side as well? I think that divorce is a serious social problem, and if we were to make it harder to achieve divorce, then perhaps people would think twice before getting married. I’m not suggesting we bring back slavery or something. To quote Bart Simpson, don’t have a cow man. :noway:

Gao_Ho_Ban, I guess I got a little hyperbolic in my last post. But, way I read you is that you have this nostalgia for the good ole days when folks took their vows seriously, and lived with integrity and all was good. It wasn’t good - for women or children many times. I am with you on the - what happened to in sickness and in health, and good times and bad, etc. stuff. I think people should THINK more about what a vow is, and should not take them lightly. I think that the modern concept of marriage - that it’s going to be all romantic all of the time and everyone will live happily ever after - is a fairytale that many grow up believing, so when reality hits they wanna run. Those folks don’t know what real LOVE is - If your Christian female friend had loved herself more, maybe she wouldn’t have gotten fat? If her husband had loved her more, maybe he would have started talking to her about their/his problems before they got out of control, and then he “had” to just split.

[quote]Through most of Western civilization, according to “Marriage, A History: From Obedience to Intimacy, or How Love Conquered Marriage” by Stephanie Coontz, matrimony has been more a matter of money, power and sheer survival than of dainty emotions. It has only been little more than 200 years since people started marrying for love.
. . . . . .

1769 – The American colonies, basing their regulations on English common law, decree: “The very being and legal existence of the woman is suspended during the marriage, or at least is incorporated into that of her husband under whose wing and protection she performs everything.”

. . . … . .
1800 – Marriage for love, not for property or prestige, is gaining wider acceptance. But women are still completely subjected to male authority.

1874 – The South Carolina Supreme Court rules that men no longer may beat their wives.

1891 – England’s Parliament passes a law that men cannot imprison their wives (or deny them freedom of movement from the home).

1900 – By now, every state in America has passed legislation modeled after New York’s Married Women’s Property Act of 1848, granting married women some control over their property and earnings.
[/quote]

Not too long ago, our ancestors were participating in “marriages” like this one:

[quote][url=http://hotzone.yahoo.com/b/hotzone/blogs2986]“When I was three years old my father died, and after a year my mother married again, but her second husband didn’t want me,” says Gulsoma. “So my mother gave me away in a promise of marriage to our neighbor’s oldest son, who was thirty.”

“They had a ceremony in which I was placed on a horse [which is traditional in Afghanistan] and given to the man.”

Because she was still a child, the marriage was not expected to be sexually consummated. But within a year, Gulsoma learned that so much else would be required of her that she would become a virtual slave in the household.

At the age of five, she was forced to take care of not only her “husband” but also his parents and all 12 of their other children as well.

Though nearly the entire family participated in the abuse, her father-in-law, she says, was the cruelest.

"My father-in-law asked me to do everything

Here’s one for you. After I got divorced about seven years ago (her idea not mine - reason after six months of marriage, two years living together and a total three year relationship: We want different things from life… :loco: What she didn’t realise that in the first two and a half years? Anyway, I digress) I was really messed up. So to a certain extent I agree that divorce should be more stringently regulated. i.e. It should be harder to get divorced. Just cause should be shown, not just some passing fancy. I say passing fancy because my ex is very sorry now. She has wanted me to go back, but after all I was put through there is simply no way I can do that. The person I really feel sorry for is her daughter from a previous marriage (yeah I know, I should have seen it coming) who really loved me and saw me as her dad. But I couldn’t go back to her mom 'cos I could never trust her again (and I think my current SO wouldn’t be all that pleased either :wink: ).

The kicker is, shortly after I got divorced I went on a military course where I was the only white lad. Now some black guys in SA are still pretty conservative (meaning they still hold on to some of the more - what some might consider - archaic cultural beliefs) in their ideas regarding marriage and relationships. Still pining over the loss I spilled my guts one night at the Officers club. They listened patiently for an hour or so about how I used to take turns cooking dinner, making the bed, doing the laundry etc… Their remark after all this, “It’s your fault. You didn’t behave like a man (presumably because I helped out with household chores considered to be the domain of the wife). You had no control over her and she had too much time to think. You should have given her a good slap around the ears when she became “insolent” and then you would still have been married.” :astonished:

Okay then. To each his own.

More on topic wrt to the weight issue. Myself personally, I’d rather have an overweight, loyal and loving wife who would stick by me, than a beautiful shallow woman. That’s just me, but I think there’s more to love than a sexy ass. Although a sexy ass doesn’t hurt…

[quote=“bismarck”]You should have given her a good slap around the ears when she became “insolent” and then you would still have been married."

[/quote]

Wife abusers belong in jail. South Africa’s got some of those, no?

[quote=“gao_bo_han”][quote=“bismarck”]You should have given her a good slap around the ears when she became “insolent” and then you would still have been married."

[/quote]

Wife abusers belong in jail. South Africa’s got some of those, no?

[/quote]

I agree with you, and yes we do. I think they are a species that can be found in EVERY country. In fact, that is one of the primary reasons I believe a divorce should be granted. Regardless of what anyone says, a man who hits his wife (or any woman for that matter) is a gutless bastard who will never change. Nothing such a person says or promises will ever change what he is. A woman caught in such a relationship should be protected by the full extent of the law.

Hey, no need to berate in bitterness here friend. I’ve already given enough explainations for you. If you want more, look it up for yourself. It’s in the statistics. Do the math. Not everything said has to agree with what you think, nor do you have to accost it and exaggerate and put words in my mouth because you wouldn’t like to understand it. Even with that said, I’m just taking things to the extreme in the face statement people killed to end marriage back in the day (If you read my posts closer, there was more than just that), the same as you do when you paint our horrid marriage/divorce super evil social catastrophe nothing is worse must return to the old Christian ways because Christians rule scenario. What is your rationale behind that exactly anyway? There’s a bit of misunderstanding/ignorance/even hate in your posts regarding Marriage/Divorce… I’m afraid the only thing I can make out is Whine whine whine Divorce sucks. Sorry if my posts are lacking in response as a result. Refer to Bodo’s posts, they’re better in line with what I’m trying to say. I understand your passion, but you don’t have to belittle anyone who happens to disagree with you in some way. If you’re down for a constructive debate/discussion rather than fighting, I am too. Have a nice day. Thank you.

You still claim that people use to murder their spouses instead of divorce them? And you believe this occured on a grand scale? On a scale anywhere approaching today’s divorce rate? This is a crazy idea, and the burden is on you to provide statistics to prove it.

As for the rest of your disorganized post, I am afraid I was not able to understand most of it. Is English your native language?[/quote]

[quote=“bismarck”]
I agree with you, and yes we do. I think they are a species that can be found in EVERY country. In fact, that is one of the primary reasons I believe a divorce should be granted. Regardless of what anyone says, a man who hits his wife (or any woman for that matter) is a gutless bastard who will never change. Nothing such a person says or promises will ever change what he is. A woman caught in such a relationship should be protected by the full extent of the law.[/quote]

I agree with this completely. Divorce should be automatically granted to any victim of spousal abuse who wishes it, even if the abuser doesn’t want the divorce.

Yes the same should apply for any woman that abuses her husband, both physically and emotionally as well. Husband abusers belong in jail too.

Wouldn’t it be smarter to agree that, since marriage is an agreement that people have a habit of changing their minds about, that we should just do away with the whole silly idea?

I don’t recognise the existence of any deity, so how can anyone expect me to live by laws which they claim originate from one? I can only live by laws that make sense, and laws compelling me to stay with one person for the rest of my life just don’t make sense to me.

May I ask gao bo han for his opinions on sexual relations and cohabitation between people who choose not to marry? If you accept that as being OK, then there’s no harm in insisting that people who make promises stand by them. There’s no point in making promises if you don’t keep them, after all. It’s the idea that you HAVE TO be married that I have a problem with.

I partially agree with that. During hunter gatherer times, I’m thinking that everyone screwing everyone was pretty common and marriage is a more recent development of civilisation. (by recent I mean the last 12,000 years or so). So before that, the tribe as a community brought up children.

So Loretta, how do you factor children into the above equation, given that in today’s society its the responsibility of both parents to bring them up?