For George R. R. Martin Fans

Probably the right decision.

1 Like

I loved #1-3. You wonder how on earth the storylines are going to come together. I enjoyed #4-5 a lot less, and realized the author had the same questions about the storylines as I did. The ending of the show has made me much less interested in how the novels proceed, and at this point I consider it extraordinarily unlikely the series will ever be finished.

Context that’s probably duplicating something upthread: he originally planned a trilogy. What became Books 1-3 was Part I of the trilogy. Books 4-5 were supposed to be a brief flashback setting up Book 2.

I watched all of the show, and am not afraid of the books, but I’m not willing to commit to book 1 until he finished the last book. At this rate, he’s going to die before he finishes and that isn’t something I want to start.

1 Like

That’s a good call. Early in the show’s run I recommended the books to people. At this stage, no, don’t bother unless the series is finished. Unlikely at best, seeing as how he’s spent 25 years getting about 1/3 of the way through the planned story, and keeps getting slower and slower.

can’t blame him. why risk ruining the ending when he can just enjoy the money and the fame?

skin trade was good, though. i’ll read something else of his if i come across it (used book options in K-town are pretty awful, so it seems unlikely)

“K” also stands for “Kindle.” (Just found a mobi of Skin Trade. I’ll have to check that out.)

electronically i read news, essays, and research; stories i prefer on paper

1 Like

I know what you mean, but at some point you just have to give up and go with the flow. Hopefully when e-readers become sufficiently advanced, they can provide a convincing simulated physical book experience.

1 Like

Perhaps, but when I moved I shipped the entire Discworld series on paper, and I’ve only read it once (out of order). I shipped a few other boxes of keepers that were worth reading again (slowly working through Dreamcatcher, still). Plus all the reading I do online, plus a PhD I need to finish, and this summer I’m planning a literature review in a new academic area in lieu of teaching. So much to read already and I don’t even own a kindle!

3 Likes

When it comes to physical books in Taiwan, you have to read fast to keep ahead of the mold.

2 Likes

not to worry! i’m running the AC all the time to protect my carpet collection, so the books benefit. maximum electricity charge so far is 1000nt one month, since i’m still living in a cheap dorm/hotel room (sadly, with no kitchen, but i have a buddy nearby and we make dinner at her place)

:hushed:

I make friends with the mold and shelter it from my wife who will throw away said friends if she finds them.

2 Likes

Such as this silk Persian tree of life, the photo doesn’t do it justice

2 Likes

I’m saying a prayer for your prayer rug. Taiwan is no place for beauties like that.

1 Like

the rest are mostly wool, though there’s a couple of cotton blended kilims from morocco rolled up there beside the Iranian camel saddle bags. Way easier than shipping/buying a sofa, gives my home consistency across continents and a Dorne-style feeling that matches the current thread!

2 Likes

The beige and gold was my first, got that one in Xinjiang

Nice. They really tie the room together. (I’m picturing an ad saying “harem sold separately”) I hope they survive your Taiwan posting!

2 Likes