For my next visa run, I think I'll be going to Macau

Does anybody know a cheap-ass hostel/dorm thingy there? I’ve heard that it’s cheaper than HK and less of a cesspit.

Strange, I heard if you didn’t like gambling there is nothing to do there.

From what I understand, it’s just cheaper to base yourself there than in HK.

I thought the Taiwan rep office in Macau couldn’t issue visas.

juba is correct. there is no office in macau/aomen to apply for a taiwan visa. don’t think so? give em a ring on the phone and have a chat. they speak wonderful english.

Bad idea. You will have to go to HK anyway to get your visa. Macau has hookers, gambling, and Fernando’s. That’s it.

Thanks for the advice. The only reason I was considering going at all was because I really, really hate HK. I thought I could use the visa office in HK and base myself in Macau, where it’s cheaper. Is that possible?

:s ? I thought those were good things. Your post doesn’t make any sense.

I like Macau: the buildings, the food and the wine and cheap good quality clothes, the beaches, sailing on a Junk. :slight_smile: Yeeha. Take the hydrofoil to/from HK and get your visa, stay in Macau. Did I mention the wine. :slight_smile:

I love Macau great Portuguese food, wine, people are freindlier. Sure there is a lot of debauchery but if you look there is actually a lot of old world culture there. I think you are making a good decision. Base yourself in Macau and ride the jetfoil to HK, be there for around 9am apply for your visa, get your fill of HK during the day, pick up you visa at 4pm and head back for a night of wining and dining.

My wife did that once and she loved it. The hydrofoil drops you off walking distance from where you need to go. Have fun. :slight_smile:

…or whoring and snoring.

You could stay and Chungking Mansions in Kowloon. YMMV.

If you stay in HK there are hydrofoil + spa packages to Macau on the 2nd floor of the hydrofoil building.
At the spa, “healthy massage” and/or “happy massage” are extra.
“Happy massage” comes in Thai, Chinese, Vietnamese, and Russian.
Funny, I’d never heard of Russian massage… then it dawned on me…

You could also take a taxi from the airport and then spend a few days in Silvermine bay on the south side of Lantau. I think the Hotel there - not too far from the beach btw - is less than HK$300/night mid week.

Also, there’s a decent bar with nice views over the sough china sea.

…and Central is only a 25 minute jetfoil ride away.

Yeah, if you like to hang out with African gangsters and Indian hookers. Grotty doesn’t begin to describe it.

The Viking wrote [quote]You could also take a taxi from the airport and then spend a few days in Silvermine bay on the south side of Lantau. I think the Hotel there - not too far from the beach btw - is less than HK$300/night mid week.

Also, there’s a decent bar with nice views over the sough China sea.

…and Central is only a 25 minute jetfoil ride away.[/quote]

Good advice. But don’t limit yourself to Lantau. The islands are much nicer than Kowloon and Hong Kong Island. The cheap, fast and frequent ferry services make them a very realistic option for a trip to H.K.

I found Cheng Chau a very nice island to spend a day or 2 on - even though I only stayed there 5-6 hrs. Also, there used to be this hostel on Lamma Island, where they had barbecues and the like. Right on the beach, do anyone know what happened to it?