For people who complain about air quality in taipei

I give you this picture of Linfen, China.

I got this from here:
hottnez.com/10-places-you-dont-want-to-live/

Happiness is relative and life is what you make it. Enjoy!

wow, thats yuck!

Here is a picture of my view on a good day.

and I just took this one…

I took this picture at 2am when I lived in the city…wanted to show my parents why I spend so much time staring at the stars when I go home.

I still live in the city, but I live on a little mountain in Xindian…there is always a breeze so it feels a little better up here.

Its so weird…on today’s photos it seems as if someone just came and stole the city and mountains! :cry:

Gee, Ms Battery, you have such a nice view of inept electrical wiring!

you can’t see it in the first picture because it wasn’t always hanging like that. A big rat used to run across it from one rooftop to the next, but its been hanging weird like that since that 3 day typhoon… Poor rat…I hope he was on the right side before it happened…

Ms Battery, you have a heart of gold. :flowers:

We got the window blowing from China this weekend. So if you can not see far and feel a bit dizzy its likely because of the pollution from FuZhou area.

Puff, Friday was really scary, dunno if it was fog or somog, but if from Chongxiao the Taipei 101 looks like a blur… Me no likey.

Battery9, I’ve always thought Xindian’s air quality is really good.
ps.
maybe the rats here are so well fed they can survive big falls… or bounce off.

Well, reminds me of our CNY holiday trip to Boracay, my GF was in shock that you could see so many stars, as you can’t see them here, even in Xindian…

You may visit this website for hourly updates on the air quality in your area of Taiwan.

210.69.101.141/taqm/en/PsiAreaHourly.aspx

Find the area where you live and clink on it for detailed information.

XinDian’s air quality is not good, there are industrial areas in XinDian itself. It’s only if you live on the hills that the air quality will be any better.
Also, the polluted sandcloud in Taipei over the last couple of days was pretty horrendous, no escape! If you look at parked scooters you will see the dust particles settled on top of them. Taipei’s air is crap.

An old article from Taipei Times which explains how this time of year is the worst…
taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003396581

[quote=“Battery9”]wow, thats yuck!

Here is a picture of my view on a good day.

and I just took this one…

I took this picture at 2am when I lived in the city…wanted to show my parents why I spend so much time staring at the stars when I go home.

I still live in the city, but I live on a little mountain in Xindian…there is always a breeze so it feels a little better up here.[/quote]

oh, well…we’re moving:( The couple I live with want their own place and I don’t feel like sharing with strangers…so if anyone want this view…let me know:)

I know that place! A good friend used to live there. Landlord was a diplomat of some kind.

HG

have you guys ever been to LA and if so how would you compare the air to taipei - which city is worse?

i’m in LA now and we get really smoggy air. some days might be really bright and sunny but it’s still gray and hazy because of all the smog. but my taiwanese friends think LA air is better than taipei. however, when i visited taipei in december the air pollution didnt seem noticeable to me. it was gray but it just looked like typical cold december weather. i wasnt coughing or hacking up black soot like some people say they do. it was like typical air in any big city like in new york city where i used to live. air in l.a. seem way worse than taipei and ny, imo.

ack…that’s bad too. Can you ever see stars?

Sometimes, but that doesn’t have to do with the air quality. The South land (all of Southern California) has almost finished becoming one giant metropolis from San Diego to Santa Barbara. There are still some patches of open area, but they are decreasing due to urban sprawl. With all those houses, businesses and whatever there’s a ton of light pollution. Street lights that run in the evening, businesses, car dealerships with their stupid spot lights, etc. It makes it nearly impossible to see most stars other than Polaris and a few others like Orion on a good night.

I still remember the first time I went camping in the Arizona desert. Only one light around for miles and when the sun finally set the sky exploded in stars.

In Taipei? Not for 20 years. It was a bit like that when I came here, but those days are LONG gone.