For the mechanically minded: pimp my baby stroller

I’ve been given a baby stroller of the type I wanted (three large wheels), but the front wheel is fixed, which makes steering a pain. Maybe too much of a pain for the Pixie. I’d like to modify it such that the front wheel swivels, but the only ideas I’ve had thus far would mean tilting the whole thing backwards by about 20 degrees.

Any suggestions?

I would recommend installing a seat, as your number one priority!

as for making the wheels swivel: on that frame, fuggedabootit. well, possible with major surgery, and additional external struts bracing the front axle but so impractical as to be not feasible.

IMHO. better minds may differ.

skateboard trucks to mount the rear wheels on?

Yeah, I was afraid of that.

Your best option would be to buy a large dolly wheel that is already mounted on a bearing swivel. Remove the front wheel and replace it with a fixed bolt and attach the new swivel wheel to it. You probably can use the hub bolt that you have on it already if you can pull it out of the hub that way you would keep the quick release mechanism. About 600NT for a large dolly wheel, and maybe 100NT to have it welded onto the fixed bolt. Done. :slight_smile:

marboulette

Another option would be to put the front wheel in a box, mail it to me, and I’ll have it back to you in a week. I have the shop, all the necessary equipment, and access to free welding to pimp it up for ya. You’ll have to pay for the dolly wheel, though.

Yes, yes, I know. I’m a nice guy. Genuine offer. PM for my address if you want.

marboulette

PS: Something like this but with a 8 or 10 inch rubber wheel would work well.

I sure hope you don’t go teaching that child to hold grudges. It’s not healthy…

Clearly, you’re not even interested in acknowledging an offer to help you, so I’ll just take it back.

Good luck with your stroller…

marboulette

Actually, I’ve been turning it over. Very generous of you, and thanks.

I kicked the idea around with a few wiser than I in the ways of wheels, and can’t quite work out how to make it work with a sufficiently large wheel up front. A caster would certainly provide a tight turning radius, but a small, hard wheel would make for rough going over uneven pavement.

Why would I be holding a grudge? Over what?

[quote=“Jaboney”]Actually, I’ve been turning it over. Very generous of you, and thanks.

I kicked the idea around with a few wiser than I in the ways of wheels, and can’t quite work out how to make it work with a sufficiently large wheel up front. A caster would certainly provide a tight turning radius, but a small, hard wheel would make for rough going over uneven pavement.

Why would I be holding a grudge? Over what?[/quote]

I don’t know. We’ve had our disagreements in the past. I would not be able to remember what it was about because I don’t hold on to these things, and I started a thread in feedback last week about your locking of threads in IP. I thought maybe you were pissed off or holding grudges. After five days without a response to my offer, you still hadn’t acknowledged it and I did not think you were going to. :idunno:

The wheel I am thinking about is mounted with a rubber tire. It looks similar to the pic I posted above, but much bigger and much smoother on rough surfaces than a regular caster wheel. About as big as the stroller wheel without the tire. But because of the way it would be mounted on the stroller, the front end would end up raised by a couple inches despite having a slightly smaller front wheel. I don’t see a couple inches being a problem.

Here’s a better pic:

It can also be done using the actual stroller wheel, but it would require extending the front end of the stroller to add a bearing and a small fork, and the fork would have to be fabricated. Still can be done for under 1k, methinks. It would probably look better, too. No time now, but maybe I’ll draw a quick pic later to show you what I’m thinking about.

marboulette

Get a Silver Cross. Truly the original pimped baby stroller

Now this…is cool……retro…

or this…

So many good ideas that died on the design board…

Forget it. That thing will be too heavy and cumbersome, no matter what you do to it. Get another, lighter one the wife can use and keep that one for yourself. The fixed front wheel is great for running or jogging.

Notsu had a racing baby buggy, no idea what sort it was, but I assume it could go around corners.

Looks like something out of Mork & Mindy.

I’ve decided to steal Hobbes’ buggy. Don’t tell him.

[quote=“Jaboney”]I’ve been given a baby stroller of the type I wanted (three large wheels), but the front wheel is fixed, which makes steering a pain. Maybe too much of a pain for the Pixie. I’d like to modify it such that the front wheel swivels, but the only ideas I’ve had thus far would mean tilting the whole thing backwards by about 20 degrees.

Any suggestions?[/quote]

Hello friend.I think you have the problem with front wheel of the baby stroller.I have suggestion for you ,I recently bought Disney Pushchair one of the product of Disney Baby
Products.It has got front swiveling wheels.I recommend you to opt for Disney Pushchair so hat
your problem gets solved.