Ford Focus MK4

What are people’s thoughts on the new Ford Focus? Mainly reliability and build quality but any other opinions would be appreciated.

I’ve test driven it a couple of times and like the sedan for its space and handling.

:slight_smile:

I’ve driven my brother in laws one, a titanium x model here in the UK. They Recently had a child and now find it a bit small tbh.
It’s an improvement over the previous model, especially the interior. I found it pretty average, nothing bad, nothing good, a bit boring. That’s all fords in general, unless you buy one of their more fancy models, RS, GT etc.
Build quality is fine, but materials and finish aren’t as nice as the more expensive German counterparts.
A bit early to tell with regards to reliability, but will probably be fine, the last model was ok. You’ll have a warranty and once it ends fords are relatively cheap for parts and servicing.
My only concern would be all the tech, but you’re gone have the same worries with any new car.

My bud’s Focus from 2005 here in Calif still runs after about 160000 miles. He swears by it…sometimes swears at it. The car finally could use some work. The AC switch died. The engine mounts may need to be replaced but other than that he’s done zero repairs on it, just an oil change every 5000 miles to 10000 miles if he remembers. Never changed the brake pads or any of the transmission fluids or brake fluid or any fluid other than the oil.

And it still runs even though it’s basically had zero repairs or any kind of maintenance other than an oil change and those done only when he remembers.

The 1.0 Ecoboost, although a brilliant fun engine, tends to break after around 70-80k miles (100000km) so do your research on engines.

Older Focuses with the Duratec Yamaha engines are pretty solid, as are the new diesels, but Greta will be displeased about the emissions.

In times of crisis, I’ve bought used Ford Focuses as they are reliable and readily-available and they have gotten me out some awful situations. Good middle-of-the-road (pun… intended?) cars. Shelf-life typically 12-15 years.

The fit and finish is always the big strike against Ford.

I’d look Toyota and Honda first personally.