Ford to discontinue Focus and Fiesta

This will mean the Focus dies in Taiwan also, which is a shame cause it’s very popular here (top 5?) and it’s the perfect small family car for this country.

Glad we got to buy one before they’re gone, love our 2023 Focus ST-Line Lommel X.

2 Likes

Are Fords made in Taiwan, seems I saw a factory I thought or are they imported? I saw a nice Ford Ute F-150 a few days ago

The Focus is made in Taiwan, that’s why it’s so cheap compared to other cars. We paid 880,000 yuan for our Focus, and it has 180hp, heads up display, 600W B&O stereo, folding mirrors etc.

Not sure about other models though.

2 Likes

F-O-R-D…Fix Or Repair Daily. Folks bought a Grenada when I was a kid. What a mess. Must have been one of the cars built on a Monday or Friday when the assembly line workers were either hungover or drunk.

1 Like

Never heard that one. In Minnesota, the common line was always Found On Road Dead. (Tbf, I’ve had a couple Fords and never had a problem with them. But grew up with Chevy loving friends.)

That’s disappointing. I like driving both.

1 Like

You forgot a 0.

Thanks, is there even an edit function? :thinking:

Posts can be edited only during first 24h. Then only mods can do it for you.

1 Like

American cars were best avoided in the 80s and 90s. Today’s Focus is really European.

So far it’s been good, unlike my 2017 Civic hatch which was a nightmare the first year. But that was built in the UK so no surprise. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Fucker Only Rolls Downhill.

Ford got a lot better from mid-2005 onwards when Yamaha started doing some of their engines. The Focus ST of that era had an engine built by Volvo, designed by Porsche!

The 1.0 Ecoboost was sadly not very reliable, but a really fun little engine.

2 Likes

My first car I owned was a Ford Focus. Early 2000s when Ford first introduced them. Never had a single problem with it.

2 Likes

My 2017 Civic hatch would roll downhill. The electronic parking brake switch only worked like half the time, and the car was a 6mT, and it would roll while in gear with engine off (unlike any manual car I’ve ever driven). So quite a few times I’d put it in gear, shut off the engine, pull the parking brake switch and get out of the car, only for it to start rolling. They fixed that on later model years and added a light on the parking brake switch, so obviously they knew about the issue.

Nice. I love Fords. The first one I had was a Capri

Quick question, the Fords you see in Taiwan, what country are they from? Asking for my nephew…

American brand, produced in Taiwan, some of them based on Japanese models (Mazda)…

This car is American, Taiwanese, Japanese…?

:thinking:

hi hannes,
Our Ford Focus ST-Line (and I’m pretty sure the larger Kuga) is built in Taiwan, which is why it’s not subject to the roughly 35% tax on imported cars. You see a ton of them for that reason (it’s also very roomy for its size, we love it). When we went to the dealer it was only a 3-4 day wait for our new Focus, vs 3-4 months for most Toyotas or Mazdas.

No, Ford no longer has anything to do with Mazda, but the current gen Focus is designed in Europe, and is not sold in the US. It feels very European. It is just final assembly is done in Taiwan, I doubt any of the parts are Taiwanese. Hope that helps!

1 Like

As other post says, most are made in Taiwan. For the ford web site, they highlight euro background of the cars though (marketing talk)
The web site says:

NEW FORD FOCUS WAGON

German standard sports tourer
allows space for your heart

https://www.ford.com.tw/cars/new-focus/

other models, highlight American background
https://www.ford.com.tw/performance/mustang/

1 Like

It’s not marketing, it’s true, in fact the reason Ford dropped the Focus in the US is because it came out of their Europe design team, not the US. It’s a shame cause the current gen is finally a great car, I actually prefer it to the Civic Si I had in the US - in terms of comfort and refinement at least.

The Mustang is of course all USA.

Yes. Many cars are international collaborations these days.

Yes they have an assembly plant in Taiwan

and production plant in china (after they split from Mazda for Asia-Pacific region production)