Foreign caregivers in Taiwan work 10.5 hours per day, earn less than $20,000/m

If you talk about how people get paid peanuts for work here, then anyone here who runs a business and hires people, do you pay them the same wage as the same kind of work in your country? I know there are a fair number of entrepreneurs here on this forum.

So who here owns a restaurant and pays their waiter/cooks 12 USD per hour?

The big difference is that the one who works in a company or factory when their work schedule ends goes to their accommodation and does not have to work anymore, surely those who work at the employeeā€™s home have to be available 24 hours, since if the person they care for has an emergency at midnight, surely the one who has to help is the caregiver

if free housing and food are attractive conditions, there would be more Taiwanese caregivers.

4 Likes

If the conditions are so unattractive, there would not be so many foreign caregivers flocking to Taiwan to take the jobs. After all, there are many other options, such as Hong Kong, South Korea, Singapore, and Middle East.

The barrier for more Taiwanese caregivers is the cost - itā€™s prohibitive for most Taiwanese families.

My wife is čÆ僑 from the Phlippines, and her family runs a grocery store mainly for factory workers nearby in äø­å£¢. So I know one or two things. When their contract ends and they have to go home, most of them want to come back. Either factory workers or caregivers (many of so called caregivers in fact work as housekeepers). Sometimes their work environment is not ideal, but most of them want to come back anyway. Because back home there is no job.

2 Likes

Iā€™m all for making it supply and demand. However, if Taiwan wants to look good internationally it needs to improve their situation. If it doesnā€™t then thatā€™s its choice.

3 Likes

You think they donā€™t need minimum wages?

You say as if 20000NTD + house + food is comparable to minimum wage. Why Taiwanese donā€™t choose in house caregiver jobs?

2 Likes

Many Taiwanese live at home. Also you donā€™t need work 10.5 hours a day while only getting 20,000nt a month.

They should be slaves! No pay!

Which is not in their job description.

I know. But that is the fact. The government more strict nowadays than before, but it is still the case.

For the same reason why low wage menial jobs are done by migrant workers throughout the world - natives donā€™t want those jobs because they have options even for minimum wage jobs - they can pump gas, work as store clerks, or do other less back breaking work. Taiwanese caregivers mostly work in hospitals, because it pays a lot more (NT$2K+/day).

You have cut my initial quote. However, I am a supporter of supply of demand, but am aware that if Taiwan wants to look good it needs to help foreign workers beyond this. This was made clear in my initial post that you edited that now suggests a point I wasnā€™t necessarily making. Iā€™ve edited your post accordingly.

1 Like

Maybe, but fortunately Taiwanese law doesnā€™t allow room and board to count towards meeting minimum wage requirements. Accordingly, it shouldnā€™t be a factor when deciding whether or not to pay foreign caregivers a fair wage.

1 Like

[quote=ā€œBiggusDickus, post:34, topic:201988ā€]

it was clear what is the point you made in your initial post, and that is not what I wanted asking, so I quoted only the part which Iā€™m interested in.
Do you also support supply of demand for things like masks last year?

[quote=ā€œtando, post:36, topic:201988, full:trueā€]

Masks are kind of unrelated, but I accept that my initial ā€œsupply and demandā€ comment can be extended to anything.

Iā€™ve made it a supply and demand issue now and need to man up and accept any analogy you wish to throw at it.

OK, I think the distribution of masks should be fair. Which, in the short term at least, wonā€™t be a matter of supply and demand. Which makes me a hypocrite.

3 Likes

Could you show me the law? They can pay minimum wage and charge for room and board. Is there any law that prohibits it?

YES you bet your fucking ass i do. I pay by work cometed now because its so hard to find anyone reliable and/or diligent. Now a days the only people i hire are foreigners, hua ren over 40 years old with conditions, or aboriginals over 40. The last couple people i have found who could actually muster the capacity to show up on time got paid 50 to 60k cash per month for about 4 days of 10 hours a week. That was labor work, moving shit around. When.workers are reliable the work.gets done and the boss can plan.future business. Everything.goes to shit with unreliable.slave work.

To this day i am working 15 to 20 hour days 7 days a week because so few are willing to work phyisically hard and make.coin. i used to.hire foreigners, but in my.industry its hard legally. And most go through agents which are unacceptable.

Poibt being. We are all abused. Government enables.corrupt fucktards that basically, even.literally, rape the minoritiesā€¦so we all get fucked. Fun times. I am only here because i am in the biology field and taiwan geography and climate lends well to my work. Otherwise, screw itā€¦

We can easily pay a laborer 200k a month for hard but not comlicated work. But i will no longer pay by the hour in taiwan unless its a foreigner. You will go bankrupt in year or 2 here. And i am no slave driverā€¦as such i do 60% of all the work in the company myself, which is torment.

4 Likes

200k? NT$? I should go into farming.

4 Likes