Foreign English Teacher Census (Round-Up?)

Ha Ha…

I am so glad I am not a teacher.

In today’s China Post there is an article on page three about a new government crackdown on illegal, non tax-paying English teachers. Apparently, there have been more complaints from parents than the Education bods had previously admitted that their children were receiving sub-standard education from so-called teachers barely out of school themselves. “For me the final straw was when my child returned home one day and speaked [sic] bad words and telled my mother she was “old cow” said Mrs Huang from Hsintien” :laughing:

The Ministry Of labour Affairs has issued an edict that all foreign English teachers must legalise their status within 7 days :astonished: and on April 9th must gather in front of the CKS Memorial Hall for a final, definitive head count. (This sounds like a Schindler’s List type approach to to census taking). All must bring along with them their passports, ARC’s, contracts of employment and, in the case of having been here more than 18 months, last year’s tax return.

According to a Mr Lee of the Immigration Bureau, the whole process should take no more than an hour and bonafide teachers will have to undergo a very basic Chinese language test too and their “grade” will be noted in their passport to ease visa re-application at R.O.C. consular offices abroad.

Ministry of Finance officials have also said that because many so-called teachers do not pay tax, all foreign registered teachers are required to post a bond of NT$7,500 to cover estimated income tax for the year. The money will be collected on the day outside CKS memorial hall. Said Mr Tak Siu-pei “This money if more big than what earn give back when they go, no problem”

Mr. Lee (Immigration) also stated that the Government would be closely monitoring the airport in the week leading up to the mass teacher gathering to see how many teachers leave on “visa runs”. Those who have been in Taiwan more than four times in one year each time for two months will be detained and questioned.

I am going to watch this whole humiliating spectacle and will be bringing along a packed lunch.

The teacher round-up begins at 9.30 a.m. outside the CKS Memorial Hall on Sunday April 9th, 2006.

BroonAmused

www.chinapost.com.tw/teachercrackdown//html

Fuck me sideways with a porcupine, I can’t believe how thick some people can be!

NEWSFLASH FOR PARENTS:

The reason your children are getting a sub-standard education from those barely out of school is because YOU are demanding your children be taught by those who are…well… barely out of school. :loco:

Uh, the link is busted.

A little difficult to take seriously for several reasons but even more so bc the link doesn’t work :smiley: (for me anyway :stuck_out_tongue: ) bummer, as a tax payer that might have been a good show :wink:.

A little difficult to take seriously for several reasons but even more so BC the link doesn’t work :smiley: (for me anyway :stuck_out_tongue: ) bummer, as a tax payer that might have been a good show :wink:.[/quote]
Too bad the link doesn’t work.
Yeah, this country’s being gutted by the hundreds of thousands of scofflaw English teachers who work illegally and don’t pay taxes.
Seems like such a shame that all those poor hardworking night market/street vendors and taxi drivers have to bear the burden by their massive income tax contributions.
Not to mention the huge companies, especially the CEOs, dod you have any idea what those guys pay in taxes every year??? Surely the government could cut them a break?!?!?

And no, I’m not an English teacher, and yeah, I pay taxes.

:wanker:

[quote=“the chief”]
Yeah, this country’s being gutted by the hundreds of thousands of scofflaw English teachers who work illegally and don’t pay taxes.
Seems like such a shame that all those poor hardworking night market/street vendors and taxi drivers have to bear the burden by their massive income tax contributions.
Not to mention the huge companies, especially the CEOs, dod you have any idea what those guys pay in taxes every year??? Surely the government could cut them a break?!?!?

:wanker:[/quote]

(a little off topic, but about taxes so…) Ha ha :laughing: one of my Taiwanese friend’s response, when I was talking about filing my taxes was like, “hmmm income tax interesting idea, does everyone pay that?” :noway: me: “What? You’re the head of a department in a huge company, and one of your jobs is payroll? And you don’t know about income tax?” While he stuck to his guns, I still think he was messing with me :smiley: … not that I’m complaining I get most of what I pay back anyway (either way it’s a sight lot less than one has to pay back home :wink:

[quote=“delieadalish”][quote=“the chief”]

:wanker:[/quote]

(a little off topic, but about taxes so…) Ha ha :laughing: one of my Taiwanese friend’s response, when I was talking about filing my taxes was like, “hmmm income tax interesting idea, does everyone pay that?” :noway: me: “What? You’re the head of a department in a huge company, and one of your jobs is payroll? And you don’t know about income tax?” While he stuck to his guns, I still think he was messing with me :smiley: … not that I’m complaining I get most of what I pay back anyway (either way it’s a sight lot less than one has to pay back home :wink:[/quote]

Keeping things totally off topic, if only as break from contemplating the horror of the OP, while I’ve no doubt your friend was yanking your chain, there’s more than a little truth to it.
This is part of why I generally do a noser anytime I see someplace where they’re publishing “official” employment figures for Taiwan.
:roflmao:
Take 20 minutes and walk down any street in Taipei, count the number of people you see engaged in commerce, and then estimate how many of them are even a little bit legal.
Or, at the end of the day, calculate what percent of your daily expenditures came with a fa piao.

um… looking at the post now… no such article.
ummm… APRIL FOOL’s? :bravo:

delieadalish,

I got the same response from my laoban when I asked where I could pick up the forms for filing my income tax.

Me sniffs an April Fool’s joke with my massive SCHNauZZ!! :smiley:

That is so freaky…I just drove down there…and YES. They have signs up that states that we need to be there…I’m just loading up the pic quickly. Gather all your info people…damn.

Most of you better hope it’s an April Fools joke because if it isn’t you’re all fooked.

:fume:

Must be an April Fool’s wind-up, and a very good one at that. Well done, especially the bit about the round-up at CKS! :laughing: :bravo:

They are even setting up color-coded tents…we’re dooooomed!
[/img]

[quote=“Battery9”]They are even setting up color-coded tents…we’re dooooomed!

[/img][/quote] :notworthy:
Girl, you Rule.

Well, it is

a) by BroonAle, a notorious prankster
b) April 1

Do the math. It’s beyond obvious.

Damn and just when I thought there would be something exciting to do on a sunday… sigh… ah well back to staring at the wall I suppose… :smiley:

good one, BTW, I never get these april fools things right, that or I just forget and amuse the daylights out of everyone else by falling for them … :laughing:

[quote=“mod lang”]Well, it is

a) by BroonAle, a notorious prankster
b) April 1

Do the math. It’s beyond obvious.[/quote]

He had help. :whistle:

:thanks: Thanks! You’ve made my day! :bouncy:

Oh man, was I fooled!

Not only that, but I told this story to a table of friends last night at the pub (I thought it was for real). Think I may have just started a vicious rumour around town! :blush: