Foreign English teacher kicks elderly woman's suitcase, curses Taiwanese on Taipei MRT

It’s good the guy apologized although it does make me laugh. I almost wish we could do this in the US. I’m afraid that NYC would come to a halt. A taxi driver cursed at my elderly mother for not understanding the nighttime taxi fare instead of just saying. I didn’t let her know there was a problem and sent her into the hotel, then I had some fine words for the taxi driver. So we both would have been on TV with hats and masks apologizing together. It reminds of me of parents who make fighting siblings sit on the divan and hold hands for awhile and then apologize. BTW - I really do love NYC. fun town including many caring people.

1 Like

They should send him on an apology tour around the island…Obama style. :grin:

1 Like

lol. Finding this hard to imagine on like Channel 7 Nighttime News or something

1 Like

I actually had my own MRT rent-a-cop interaction today. At the risk of sounding like our meandering friend who reports back to us whenever a pretty girl on the sidewalk smiles at him, I’ll relate this uneventful tale now.

I was on the MRT absent mindedly chewing away on some Juicy Fruit gum. Suddenly I feel the presence of authority invading my personal space.

Rent-a-cop: Excuse me, stop chewing that gum now.

Me: spits out gum Okay, sorry.

He walks away. He talks to another rent-a-cop. They make jokes about me saying “sorry” for some reason.

I’m awaiting Taiwan News to contact me for the full details of this latest occurrence of white monkeys misbehaving on the MRT.

He actually let you off easy. He could have just fined you on the spot.

How much do these fines usually run?

依現行大眾捷運法第50條第1項第9款規定,旅客於捷運禁止飲食區內吃東西、喝飲料、嚼食口香糖或檳榔,處新臺幣1,500元以上7,500元以下罰鍰。

Not chump change…

I once heard no one has actually received such a fine. A real cop busted us recently, but a bu hao yi si sorted it.

I have my own prosaic interaction tale from just now, getting on and off the train from CKS to Guting. As I was getting on, an older woman decided to park herself at the entrance while doing a little back and forth shuffle. A sarcastic “okay” was my only response. As I was getting off (from my spot near the door), a woman seemed to think it was essential to exit before me (which, it should go without saying, she was obviously not successful in accomplishing). A raised outstretched left hand (the universal sign for WTF) was all I did or said. These are the kind of stress relieving but legally unactionable responses one has to develop here :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Which technique did you use here? Elbow to rib?

Maybe the:“Extended arm due to medical condition” technique that we all learned from our Canadian friend with a name that looks like a bad hand of Scrabble.

1 Like

It’s all about body positioning.

1 Like

My favorite is the “grab pole to “steady myself” while actually blocking your path” technique.

1 Like

I worked with a dude who lived in Tokyo for a while. He said the classic passive/aggressive maneuver on the subway when some sarariman turd cut you off was to step on the back of his shoe, because they all wear loafers, having to take them off whenever they’re inside, so his shoe would come off and he’d get all fucked up.

2 Likes

My ex received a fine for carrying a drink -no, not that kind, a simple 50C tea- inside. Now I see people with those drinks in their hands all the time…but no one drinks.

1 Like

Speak for yourself! I happen to be raging, bigoted, and a dipshit, ideally all before 10am.

Yeah, they keep saying that like it’s a bad thing!

1 Like

I like this. I like this a lot.

Guy

https://video.udn.com/news/874406

When you’re in a conflict situation with someone, you don’t hand them a hammer to bash you with, right?

1 Like

You need more coffee.

1 Like