Foreign English teacher kicks elderly woman's suitcase, curses Taiwanese on Taipei MRT

This is one of the things I love about taiwan, all these hilarious episodes in public happening on a regular basis. This guy apologising afterwards on TV was just golden.

1 Like

It was like a forced confession.

If only most of those people cutting in and blocking the exit were polite and/or adult in their behaviour. Stop making out like Taiwanese never do anything wrong. The way foreigners get treated in this country is deplorable. It really is as simple as that to understand.

1 Like

Dude, what are you talking about ? I would agree with your statement if you were referring to people from SE Asia working in som dingy factory in Miaoli, but I will assume this is not you.

If you are from the west there is nothing to complain about how you are treated.

2 Likes

You obviously haven’t met my wife…

5 Likes

I swear I ran into the Taiwanese guy that tried to stop Mr Brain at Ximen MRT earlier today. He tried cutting in front of me deliberately at the entrance to the MRT on the 228 Park side of the station and then tried to cut in front of me to get on the escalator while giving me deathstares the whole time. He ended up walking down the escalator past me and turned his head death staring me as he went past. Limen MRT is a nightmare of a station. Taipei MRT have tried their best to find good staff but they simply don’t have enough people to stop crowds congregating in areas that make it dangerous. Like the tops and bottoms of escalators.

1 Like

It’s not just the PRC that has show trials. :sunglasses:

1 Like

What’s deplorable? The fact the vast majority of us get the same wages as the top 10% of the country? Or is it all the people that want to be our friends because we’re a novelty, or they want to practice English? Well, granted that last one is more annoying than deplorable…

Tell us what’s so horrible about your treatment here. Don’t just point to some news story about some injustice against a white guy. Tell us specifically what’s so trying about your day-to-day. I can assure you the average Taiwanese has it much harder.

Never said or implied that. You just made that up.

SE Asians, yes. Westerners, no.

Did anyone check for a coded message

I haven’t, but the hidden identity part was interesting.
Should’ve changed the voice, too.

I’m sure Taiwan’s zealous netizens have been provided with enough clues to perform a successful “meat search” if they were so inclined.

1 Like

There was a case a year or two ago about a young Taiwanese man on the MRT who made racial slurs against a foreigner and his girlfriend because the foreigner bumped him. He lost his job. I can’t remember if he was fined or ordered to go to counseling.

1 Like

I don’t think the guy pressed charges against him. The perpetrator received a lot of negative social media reaction, which was nice.

3 Likes

The drunk guy! I remember that lovely chap!

Nice try.
There was no bumping or provocation, the guy was drunk off his ass and stood there for the better part of 15 minutes insulting and berating the foreigner and his girlfriend in the most hateful manner possible.

Keep up the inaccurate work :+1:

4 Likes

Really? You’re going to go off on him because he said “bumped” and you think there was no bumping (I wouldn’t call that a provocation either)? You kind of missed the point, because there’s nothing he(she?) said in the post that mitigates the drunk bigot’s behavior, or lets him off the hook in any way (unlike in this thread where we all just assume poor, fragile foreigner “Brain” had a terrible, no good day…).

2 Likes

was he really drunk? i seem to remember other people also had run ins with this guy that went much the same way.

this subway luggage kicker was acting like a shit bag. but the reaction was way out of proportion. i agree this guy doesn’t deserve any defence, the pitchfork reaction is what is off about it.

and yea when the shoe is on the other foot what happens? what happened in the mrt racist video? nobody did squat except look at the floor. i know there was a big reaction online afterwards but that was just damage control for face lost imo.

2 Likes

The point I was answering to was the supposed double standard. There is no double standard. Both people committed deplorable offenseses and both were criticized by the media and Taiwanese people. I’d say, if anything, the foreigners are going a little softer on this Brian guy than they did on that other guy from a couple of years ago. Also, I don’t remember him being drunk, and he did claim he was bumped.

As to why no one intervened a couple of years ago–well, an able-bodied man in his prime can take care of himself in ways an elderly woman can’t.

1 Like