Foreign English teacher kicks elderly woman's suitcase, curses Taiwanese on Taipei MRT

The two situations aren’t even remotely comparable.

4 Likes

The two situations are almost the same.

Are you almost blind?

5 Likes

Which case are you talking about? There were two similar cases. In one, the guy just insulted and harrassed the foreigner and GF. In the other one, in Tamsui, a drunk guy actually hit a foreigner -handicapped man with his wife if I recall correctly- and made quite a fuss on the MRT.

The first one.

In both cases I’m talking about, there was an incident (a bump, a suitcase). Both people flipped out and uttered vulgar & racist slurs, and both people were unjustified. In one case, the innocent party went home and made a YouTube video. In the other case, a bystander intervened on the innocent party’s behalf and went to the police. In both cases, the media AND Taiwanese people went after the offending parties, and the offenders were criticized equally. Both suffered as a result of their poor behavior.

In one case, a guy cornered a couple on a subway car and subjected them to vile personal insults for a period of time, which was recorded. In the other case, something allegedly happened and one guy gave another guy the finger and allegedly said something about all Chinese people before walking off.

To say they’re anything alike is pretty ridiculous.

3 Likes

That certainly would be another way of looking at it.

This is the worst thread ever.

2 Likes

worst thread so far!

I think we need more red traffic lights to bring it to the next level

You’d have to go to Outer Mongolia to find a bigger klusterfuk

1 Like

Just what are you implying, sir?!?

Sorry, Province of Mongolia, R.O.C.

Mongolia is an inviolable part of the R.O.C. and any statements to the contrary are seditious and treasonable.

3 Likes

Wow, that is so full of crap. In the case of the non Taiwanese getting racially abused by a Taiwanese. Nobody did anything, even after the guy went to the police; the Taiwanese police did nothing. That’s why he made the video. Then the video went viral and got picked up internationally. Because the massive loss of face for Taiwan by exposing Taiwanese for the racist hicks they are, only then did the police do something.

Not one Taiwanese got mad because a non Taiwanese was insulted. They only ganged up on that Taiwan MRT racist guy because he made Taiwan lose face and look bad and then got caught.

3 Likes

That is using a pretty broad brush to paint an entire population as one thing. A bit much?

3 Likes

Can someone clarify what we actually know for this? I thought we had only the little video clip, and otherwise hearsay.

If the guy was wandering around, randomly kicked an old woman’s suitcase, shouted “Fuck Chinese!”, and then the video above? Yeah, that’s awful.

To me totally plausible - not saying it’s what happened, but it’s plausible - guy walking down stairs. Woman’s suitcase taking up a big chunk of the escalator and/or blocking the exit. Guy pushes / kicks it out of the way with his foot (perhaps because it was the only way to get away from the escalator), or even trips over it, muttering “Fuck!” while doing so. And storms away. Then a do-gooder who wants to Save the Face of the Chinese Nation comes up and starts trying to grab him because he heard an angry “Fuck!” and assumed it was a horrible thing said at the elderly woman - and is given the finger in return.

Why I don’t want to call the guy an asshole, a moron, a racist fuckwit, whatever term has been thrown around: I don’t know what happened. If a bunch of people attack the guy without knowing what actually happened, then yeah, that’s pretty much a witch hunt.

3 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: 15 years ago, this site was a whole lot better.

That’s neither accurate nor will it endear you to the people of Taiwan.

If I’m not mistaken, the foreigner from a couple of years ago didn’t know at which station the incident happened, and that delayed the investigation as the police didn’t know whose jurisdiction it was. It’s possible they were reluctant to get involved for whatever reason and were just trying to pass the buck. There certainly wasn’t any way for them to use the same excuse to get out of it with this most recent incident.

2 Likes

I disagree with this, too. I talked with a lot of Taiwanese people who genuinely thought what that MRT guy did was horrible. I don’t recognize the Taiwanese people you’re talking about.

I’d like to see the MRT video of what happened. And we all know it exists so it’s really a wonder why it hasn’t been released.

1 Like

Is the irony of this statement lost on you?

2 Likes