Foreign fighter fouled at SanDa Wang

Some stuff has been deleted by the OP but I’m gonna chime in anyway.

1. The BJJ club- there are actually 2 BJJ clubs in Taipei-Netrealist should get his shit together before he goes and spills it onto the interwebs

2. There is more ‘rivalry’ between foreign run clubs than frnr v locals

3. Andy Wang left Taiwan 2.5 years ago- the club that he left behind is completely different- I know this as I effectively run it- the so-called dojo storming incident involved another club run by foreigners and was was pathetic, as was the the stuff that they said to provoke it

4. Dong Xing has no friends in Taiwan martial arts. He has never fought anyone that was anywhere near his weight or experience level- I have 3 monster 100KG plus guys in my Muay Thai club that have expressed an interest in giving him some fair competition and we will see how that turns out somewhere down the road

5. I can think of at least 4 parties to blame for the other week’s incident ever being allowed to happen- as soon as the bell rang- an alarm bell rang in my head- ozzy shouldn’t have been there plain and simple-his coach should never have allowed it, nor should the organizers of the event. I normally keep quiet on such things for the sake of diplomacy among the small and fractured martial arts community here, but my disgust with the whole thing is near impossible to conceal

[quote=“CanisLupusFamiliaris”]Some stuff has been deleted by the OP but I’m gonna chime in anyway.

1. The BJJ club- there are actually 2 BJJ clubs in Taipei-Netrealist should get his shit together before he goes and spills it onto the interwebs

2. There is more ‘rivalry’ between foreign run clubs than frnr v locals

3. Andy Wang left Taiwan 2.5 years ago- the club that he left behind is completely different- I know this as I effectively run it- the so-called dojo storming incident involved another club run by foreigners and was was pathetic, as was the the stuff that they said to provoke it

4. Dong Xing has no friends in Taiwan martial arts. He has never fought anyone that was anywhere near his weight or experience level- I have 3 monster 100KG plus guys in my Muay Thai club that have expressed an interest in giving him some fair competition and we will see how that turns out somewhere down the road

5. I can think of at least 4 parties to blame for the other week’s incident ever being allowed to happen- as soon as the bell rang- an alarm bell rang in my head- ozzy shouldn’t have been there plain and simple-his coach should never have allowed it, nor should the organizers of the event. I normally keep quiet on such things for the sake of diplomacy among the small and fractured martial arts community here, but my disgust with the whole thing is near impossible to conceal[/quote]

Dave?

Gee ! I knew my performance wasn’t great in there. But you think I shouldn’t even step in the ring? I didn’t think I was getting that hurt until the illegal kick :laughing: Your right though I thought the same thing after seeing the fight. Probably will stick to the ground game.

I don’t think it was Gordon’s fault. My performance in sparing is usually not so sloppy. It is mainly my fault for not performing properly.

I respect your opinion though as an experienced fighter.

I have to admit to coming home in a bad mood after my neighbours were giving me shit about my dogs barking while I was out.

Let me clarify- I didn’t mean that you shouldn’t be in the ring. I meant that you should never have been in the ring against a guy 20kg larger with a lot more experience in your first match- he was the tries to keep a straight face ‘King of San-da 2006’.

The truth should be known that I have a Taiwanese guy in my club who is 104KG. They asked me if I had an opponent for Dong Xing and I briefly considered this guy because I know he is better technically than Dong Xing- but he has never had a full contact fight- so I didn’t give it more than a fleeting thought before declining the fight (the other students I mentioned before were either injured or abroad at the time of the fight).

I’m not saying stick to the ground game- just pick the right fights. Anyway- the lesson is obviously learned by now. There’s no reason not to compete again if you really want it. About the sloppiness- its a very common thing that happens for a new fighters first few fights- other instincts take over and its basically a struggle between the training you have done, your flight instinct , and emotion.

I keep seeing this phrase “MMA Scene”…there is no MMa scene in Taiwan to speak of. occasionally there are some really weak attempts at it.

Taiwanese ‘MMA’ is a frog in a well thats trying to build a fucking car from scratch without a manual. Yet China is building a really professionally run brand named ‘Art of War’ (see mmachina.org) that I predict will eventually fill the void left by the demise of the Pride organization. I was there over the weekend to corner of of our guys and It was extremely well organized- the fighters got paid purses comparable to US mma events, they were treated extremely well- though there were a couple of mismatches- these were obviously an attempt to build up their own fighters and build up the local market- the safety of the fighters was paramount- the organization cares about its image and doesn’t want to be snubbed out by the government in its infancy.

Here’s Taiwan based fighter Vaughn Anderson’s match last weekend:

s.sohu.com/20071223/n254251823.shtml

Taiwan needs to think about why the Chinese can do it- but Taiwan doesn’t have a hope in hell

K, thanks for the input, Definitely some lessons learned from this experience.
You know, we didn’t know his weight until it was pretty close to fight time. Like I said, they asked for the 90kg division. After finding his weight difference I thought I would just try and survive that first round then I would have a chance.

The link to vaughns fight doesn’t play the whole fight. Not for me anyway. Seems to cutout.
I am keen to see this. Vaughn always shows a lot of heart.

The vid doesnt seem to play well for everyone…ive had different results on different pcs

I respect the guy’s (ossie) gameness for getting in the ring. However there is no way that a fight with that kind of weight difference should of been allowed in any legal “respectable” competition. (it wasn’t a backyard illegal fight).

Credit for you for going in there and giving it a go. However with that weight difference the fight should not of gone on and in addition the guy you were fighting was very experienced. Also Ossie you don’t need to stick to the ground game. Just improve your stand up and fight someone of at least “around” your weight next time. The guy was far far bigger than you and more experienced. Well done for giving it a go BAD CALL for whoever let the fight take place.

As Scott alluded to I was lead to believe that Scott’s opponent would also be 90 kg . We found out a week before the fight that the guys weight was actually over 100 kg. Scott still wanted to go for it though. I wasn’t aware that he was "king of San Da " until after the fight.

Scott got cheated in that fight plain and simple . He got knocked out not because Xing was a better fighter but rather because the guy cheated .

In my opinion Scott was fighting very well despite the weight difference. He was landing his uppercut consistently and circling well out of the corners just as we had prepared his game plan. Of course Scott’s technique was not perfect but as Canis mentioned this is the real thing and not a sparring session .

Weight wasn’t the issue in this fight , fair play was .

That said, I don’t know why the promoter didn’t have the huge guy in the last fight go against Xing . They looked around the same weight . That guy fought a really small guy . The small guy kicked him in the face ( legally) and blew up the guys nose . That won him the fight.

Matching those two would have made sense…thats why it couldn’t possibly happen in Taiwan

[quote=“taiwan foot”]As Scott alluded to I was lead to believe that Scott’s opponent would also be 90 kg . We found out a week before the fight that the guys weight was actually over 100 kg. Scott still wanted to go for it though. I wasn’t aware that he was "king of San Da " until after the fight.

Scott got cheated in that fight plain and simple . He got knocked out not because Xing was a better fighter but rather because the guy cheated .

In my opinion Scott was fighting very well despite the weight difference. He was landing his uppercut consistently and circling well out of the corners just as we had prepared his game plan. Of course Scott’s technique was not perfect but as Canis mentioned this is the real thing and not a sparring session .

Weight wasn’t the issue in this fight , fair play was .

That said, I don’t know why the promoter didn’t have the huge guy in the last fight go against Xing . They looked around the same weight . That guy fought a really small guy . The small guy kicked him in the face ( legally) and blew up the guys nose . That won him the fight.[/quote]

Sure he wanted to fight, he is a fighter and a game one at that. No true fighter is going to back out, that is NOT their job.

It is the organization’s and manager’s job to stop fights like this happening. If they were stricter about that then fighters may respect the rules a lot more. Would this kind of match up be permitted in Taikwondo or Judo.

The guy cheated. Yep he did. So why wasn’t the fight awarded to Ozzie and the other fighter disqualified ? That would of been much fairer to the guy, rather than him only getting a small amount of monetary compensation. He should of got money and been awarded the fight.

Anyway I have nothing more to say on it. I wouldn’t of commented if it hadn’t been posted on a public message forum.

Fenlander,

The fighter was disqualified after the match and I was the awarded winner and received a trophy and prize money. I was a bit dizzy after the incident so I am not sure how long it took them to come to the decision but I don’t remember much delay. Although I don’t remember much at all :slight_smile:.

Oh and this was not for any kind of title. As the organizers told me before the event " It is a friendly exhibition match."

:unamused:

[quote=“Ozzy”]Fenlander,

The fighter was disqualified after the match and I was the awarded winner and received a trophy and prize money.

:unamused:[/quote]

Great!

I have a strong sense of fair play and I got a bit riled about what i heard in those posts, anyway good luck in your future fights.

Happy new year to you all!

[quote=“CanisLupusFamiliaris”]I keep seeing this phrase “MMA Scene”…there is no MMa scene in Taiwan to speak of. occasionally there are some really weak attempts at it.

Taiwanese ‘MMA’ is a frog in a well thats trying to build a fucking car from scratch without a manual. Yet China is building a really professionally run brand named ‘Art of War’ (see mmachina.org) that I predict will eventually fill the void left by the demise of the Pride organization. I was there over the weekend to corner of of our guys and It was extremely well organized- the fighters got paid purses comparable to US mma events, they were treated extremely well- though there were a couple of mismatches- these were obviously an attempt to build up their own fighters and build up the local market- the safety of the fighters was paramount- the organization cares about its image and doesn’t want to be snubbed out by the government in its infancy.

Here’s Taiwan based fighter Vaughn Anderson’s match last weekend:

s.sohu.com/20071223/n254251823.shtml

Taiwan needs to think about why the Chinese can do it- but Taiwan doesn’t have a hope in hell[/quote]

Realize this was a while back, but… to me there wasn’t much difference between that fight and what one saw back in UFC 1, minus the sumo wrestler and the karate gis. I mean, not to devalue in any way Vaughn’s accomplishment, but that fight seemed one hell of a mis-match.

Also, it was hard to make out because I’m not used to Mainland accents and there was some overlapping of their commentary, but one of them seemed to say that Vaughn was ‘relying aggression rather than skill’ and criticized his ability when he let the guy get out of the first arm-bar. I wonder if there was an internal debate following the fight as to whether China should ‘close its borders to Western spiritual pollution’ or ‘learn the Westerners’ methods while preserving Chinese spiritual superiority’. Basically it was the Opium War all over again.

Still, I’m sure mega-nationalism combined with market incentives have prevailed, and the ML Chinese MMA scene has improved dramatically since this fight. Now if only we could find a way to link MMA to tasty eating, the same might happen in Taiwan.

…and you’d be totally wrong. But that’s what makes forumosa.com so great…you don’t have to actually know anything to post here. What is it exactly that would make AOW seem so backward or primitive? What’s so much more ‘UFC 1’ about it than King of the Cage or Superbrawl?

Besides, both you and Dog miss the real point about the so-called MMA scene in Taiwan. There is no MMA scene in Taiwan in the same way there is a TKD scene or a ping pong scene simply because the central government does not want one.

…and you’d be totally wrong. But that’s what makes forumosa.com so great…you don’t have to actually know anything to post here. What is it exactly that would make AOW seem so backward or primitive? What’s so much more ‘UFC 1’ about it than King of the Cage or Superbrawl?

Besides, both you and Dog miss the real point about the so-called MMA scene in Taiwan. There is no MMA scene in Taiwan in the same way there is a TKD scene or a ping pong scene simply because the central government does not want one.[/quote]

I wasn’t critiquing the league in general. I was just critiquing that one fight posted as being rather mis-matched. The Chinese fighter appeared to have no ground-fighting knowledge or experience at all, rather reminiscent of UFC 1 when the BJJ fighters were eating up the pure stand-up fighters. (Doesn’t really matter - I’m sure Vaughn could’ve taken the guy apart
in stand-up as well.) Not to mention the lame-ass biased commentary.

But thanks for the offhand insult.

Besides, both you and Dog miss the real point about the so-called MMA scene in Taiwan. There is no MMA scene in Taiwan in the same way there is a TKD scene or a ping pong scene simply because the central government does not want one.[/quote]

I wasn’t critiquing the league in general. I was just critiquing that one fight posted as being rather mis-matched. The Chinese fighter appeared to have no ground-fighting knowledge or experience at all, rather reminiscent of UFC 1 when the BJJ fighters were eating up the pure stand-up fighters. (Doesn’t really matter - I’m sure Vaughn could’ve taken the guy apart in stand-up as well.)[/quote]

You’re going to find that in regional leagues. Local talent isn’t strong enough outside a few places to field consistantly good fighters for a whole event. If you’ve ever seen some of the Taiwan events, some of the fig…competitors…I hesitate to call them fighters…appear to be completely unprepared.

Same thing. It’s a new sport. You still see poorly prepared judges and refs even in the USA and Canada. AOW isn’t bad. You see badly trained fighters in any American event under the UFC. Dana White is fond of calling it the fastest growing sport in the world, but it’s going to take the rest of my life before MMA sees the depth of fighters you see in boxing and wrestling.

No, no, no, you got me wrong here. It wasn’t offhand. I would never insult someone offhand. But thanks for taking it so well.