Foreign films about Taiwan?

Let’s see…there’s

*[i]Double Vision /i, a supernatural thriller produced and directed by Chen Kuo-fu, teaming up a Taiwanese cop (Tony Leung) with an FBI agent (David Morse)

*[i]The Drummer /i, a Jaycee Chan vehicle showcasing Taiwan’s U-Theatre

*Ghosted (2009), produced and directed by Monika Treut. Hamburg lesbian meets Taipei lesbian (Hu Tingting).

*[i]Formosa Betrayed /i, a Hollywood version of the White Terror, nothing to do with George Kerr’s book as far as I can tell.

So…any others?

And how about TV shows? I remember an episode of Three’s Company where a supposedly ancient vase, after being smashed, turns out to have been produced during the “Wan Tai Dynasty.”

Bowfinger nearly goes to Taiwan.

lonGDong

I think one of the 24-hour franchise had a storyline that began in Taiwan.

Anna and the King
The Beach
:slight_smile:

I forgot Cape No. 7, which had a couple of Japs in it.

Not foreign.

What’s Bowfinger’s Taiwan connection? I saw it, but can’t remember this. Was it at the end, when he got an offer to film a kung fu movie?

Monika Treut also filmed a short or two here some years ago.

Oliver Assayas did a documentary on Hou Hsiao-hsien, called Cinema de Notres Temps, a Portrait of HHH, and there’s at least one foreign documentary on the Taiwanese New Wave.

A Hongkong film counts? Then “A Better Tomorrow” by John Woo (1986) shows some scenes shot in Taipei, Ximending. Can clearly see Chunghwa Rd. and the train tracks.

Weren’t these in Thailand, not Taiwan?

Anna and the King
The Beach

. More on this 1966 Robert Wise film starring Steve McQueen here.

It seems The Sand Pebbles was filmed in Danshui and Hong Kong, substituting for the Yangzi region (where the story was set).

What about Red Corner, starring Richard Gere? Didn’t they film the rooftop-escape scenes in Taipei somewhere?

I’m actually producing a Tagalog movie in Taiwan called Pinoy Sunday, and filming starts this very Saturday.

While it isn’t “about” Taiwan per se, it’s about 2 guys who happen to be here :sunglasses:

[quote=“tango42”]Weren’t these in Thailand, not Taiwan?

Anna and the King
The Beach[/quote]
(sigh)

Why did you cut out my smilie?

Subtle hint: I was poking fun at those folks who confuse Taiwan and Thailand.

Dunno if it featured Taiwan, or not, but wasn’t there a film a couple fo years ago about the KMT in Burma and the Golden Triangle heroin connection?

[quote=“Goose Egg”]I’m actually producing a Tagalog movie in Taiwan called Pinoy Sunday, and filming starts this very Saturday.

While it isn’t “about” Taiwan per se, it’s about 2 guys who happen to be here :sunglasses:[/quote]
And here it is!

We’re premiering on 9 April at next Month’s Golden Horse Festival - more info on their website: ghfff.org.tw/program/content.aspx?id=101 (the trailer is embedded there as well!)

Can Au Revoir Taipei be considered foreign?

Do not forget “Au Revoir Taipei” which won best Asian film this year! Featured here in San Francisco for Asian Art film festival. Had the famous Joseph Chang in it from Eternal summer. I mention this as being “foreign” and some sense due to the fact that the Director Arvin Chen was born here in San Francisco Bay area and grew up here. I saw this film in it’s first US Screening. It was wonderful!

haha tommy saw your post after I posted mine! Did you see it? I was there!