Foreign Friends in Taiwan to get Married

Hi folks,

My friends are in Taiwan to get married, after visiting various official offices today they’re looking for advice, here they are:

Hi,

We are both from the UK and have our certificates of non impediment both officialized from the British trade and Commonwealth office and, authenticated by the Taiwanese embassy in scotland before we arrived this week.

Today we went to the Household registrar offices in Taipei (whom were very helpful indeed) with our papers and everything seemed in order although they wished for the papers to be translated and stamped (officialized?) before we could have our marriage as soon as this Monday. They advised us to go to the District court to have the documents translated which we then went to right away and spoke to someone in the Marriage department. They then advised that they couldnt translate and that we would need a translator in person to be with us at the Household registration?

So I’m now puzzled as to my next step whether a Taiwanese friend (which at the moment we dont have) would come in person and translate the vows?, or have a lawyer/solicitor etc. translate the documents?

Thanks in advance for any help as time is of the essence as we wish to get this done and dealt with as soon as possible!

[quote=“Bubbagump”]Hi folks,

My friends are in Taiwan to get married, after visiting various official offices today they’re looking for advice, here they are:

Hi,

We are both from the UK and have our certificates of non impediment both officialized from the British trade and Commonwealth office and, authenticated by the Taiwanese embassy in scotland before we arrived this week.

Today we went to the Household registrar offices in Taipei (whom were very helpful indeed) with our papers and everything seemed in order although they wished for the papers to be translated and stamped (officialized?) before we could have our marriage as soon as this Monday. They advised us to go to the District court to have the documents translated which we then went to right away and spoke to someone in the Marriage department. They then advised that they couldnt translate and that we would need a translator in person to be with us at the Household registration?

So I’m now puzzled as to my next step whether a Taiwanese friend (which at the moment we dont have) would come in person and translate the vows?, or have a lawyer/solicitor etc. translate the documents?

Thanks in advance for any help as time is of the essence as we wish to get this done and dealt with as soon as possible![/quote]

I think you can have the documents translated by anyone, but the person who translated it should accompany you to get the translated version of the documents notarized. Once the documents are notarized, you should be able to proceed.