Foreign Guy Brutally Beaten in Taichung

Come on! He wasn’t even stabbed or chibbed. Amateurs!

New here, so excuse the silly questions. Is Taichung an otherwise safe place to be? It seems like I’ve seen that city’s name more than a few times now–not always good news.

Mayor Jason Who? has completely lost control of the city and its run by organized crime elements. That said, they mostly don’t bother themselves with foreigners. Of course, habituate certain drinking establishments and you might have to deal with unwelcome advances from young drunk hayseeds and chavs, just as you would if you were to go out carousing in any number of backward hick places around the world.
Last time I got offered violence, for example, was in Barcelona. Would it therefore be fair to class Barcelona as an unsafe place?

Guy’s name is Davey, and the beating took place at Xaga (Zaga?) disco in Tiger City. Six security guys with batons. They kept beating him and telling him to confess that he was selling or taking drugs. He didn’t have any drugs, but finally gave them a bloody fingerprint as signature to a confession they wanted him to sign.

He was in the hospital last I heard, and this was two weeks after the incident. Three operations so far. His Mom is here, and is a very nice lady.

Davey is about 5’ 6" tall, and weighs about half a Chaon.

Ouch! Sounds like he really did get a bit of a doing, then. Wonder why they picked on him?

[quote=“Chaon”]Guy’s name is Davey, and the beating took place at Xaga (Zaga?) disco in Tiger City. Six security guys with batons. They kept beating him and telling him to confess that he was selling or taking drugs. He didn’t have any drugs, but finally gave them a bloody fingerprint as signature to a confession they wanted him to sign.

He was in the hospital last I heard, and this was two weeks after the incident. Three operations so far. His Mom is here, and is a very nice lady.

Davey is about 5’ 6" tall, and weighs about half a Chaon.[/quote]
Since fucking WHEN do security goons beat confessions out of people!?

WHERE is Johhny Cockrane when you need him!?

Seriously, this is outrageous!

Ok guys, let’s load up the blue truck and drive down there to check out Zaga … don’t forget the bats …

I bet you the real reason they beat him up is because they though he was invading their turf, as opposed to the fact they felt he may have been doing something illegal.

Bastards. :fume:

I don’t know how I got away with 17yrs of never getting beaten up. The closest I got was some Panamanian MTC student who screwed sea-turtles (according to him) at Whiskey A Go Go.

Hope the poor guy starts feeling better soon.

Terrible.

[quote=“Tigerman”]Hope the poor guy starts feeling better soon.

Terrible.[/quote]
He was looking better on the news last night. His mom looked really pissed off though.

Where did that (the confession) come from? Doesn’t seem to fit in.

Anyhow, if the guy did do nothing wrong the “security guards” should be thrown into jail (even that’s highly unlikely to happen) and I wish him to get better.

[quote=“Rascal”]
Anyhow, if the guy did do nothing wrong the “security guards” should be thrown into jail (even that’s highly unlikely to happen) and I wish him to get better.[/quote]
Well, I can guess how this one is going to play out.

Any video tape that exists will vanish by magic. The club owners, out of the kindness of their hearts will offer to pay NT$10k towards the vic’s medical expenses, so as not to tarnish Taiwan’s otherwise excellent reputation internationally, even though this incident did not occur anywhere near their premises. The club manager will promise to thoroughly review their security procedures and training. The police, lacking any evidence of wrong-doing will quietly and without fanfare close the case. Some Taichung City councilmen will suggest that there are other pressing matters upon which the police would better focus their energies. The vic and his mom will find themselves unable to extend their visas, and the immigration office will exercise their right not to reveal the reason for the refusal. Mayor Who? will at some obscure private function apologize to the club owner for the unfortunate publicity and any impact on his turnover and perhaps make some suggestions as to how to approach the local authorities about relocating or realigning video surveillance cameras in his neighborhood.
Business as usual.

Here’s a report on Yahoo: tw.news.yahoo.com/article/url/d/ … /jye6.html
It’s quite sympathetic toward the victim, who has been hospitalized for more than a month and still hasn’t recovered. He was battered from top to toe and his pancreas was ruptured.

It says he was drunk and tried to hit on a female customer in the bar in the wee small hours of the morning on July 26. He was beaten up by guys in black suits, whom he says are employees of the bar, and he’s instituted legal proceedings against them.

The policeman in charge of the case just says that the bar staff deny having done it, and seems to regard that as an end to the matter. The owner of the night club just says he’ll leave everything to the judicial process to sort out.

According to the report, this establishment has also been in the news recently (late August) for an incident in which it was “surrounded by 200 men in black (gangsters)”, whatever that was all about.

I can’t read Ch-Eye-Neez-Ee but I did click on the poll so I could take a look at the visual. I suggest ya’ll do the same. I was fuckin’ appauled to see a majority laughing at this incident. If there were more true roughnecks out here in Taiwan, I would suggest that if someone were to hit on our GF (wasn’t the case here) and the offending party chose to have a few choice words, that we would lay the goddamn smackdown on some of these fools. Can you imagine if this crap happened in Canada? Overtly racist shit would land you a quick fix in the box if you were a white dude.

Ya know, some people do deserve an asskicking while others just don’t need it. Everyone on this site who’s been around for awhile knows my story and I’m 50/50 on my own incidents. This guy, on the other hand, doesn’t look like he deserved it. Even if he did…that many on him with batons is a shame. I really wish that sometimes, foreigners, would stand up for themselves and make more than a few friends, good friends, who will stand by them. Rare, I know.

Ugh, I hate this shit. Really.

edit For the record: while I know that bouncers back home can/have gone off the deep end - I have rarely seen it that bad where a group of doorman beat the snot out of one guy. I worked the door and inside as a grunt for almost 10 years of my ‘yout’ at some of Toronto’s best and roughest nightclubs/parties and I didn’t see such severe incidents like this perpetrated by more than one doorstaff. Most of the time it was them against us as a group vs group thing. Then sure, 99% of the time their asses were handed to them. Disgusting.

I’m pretty sure he died 2 years ago. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnnie_Cochran

That’s where he went wrong right there. Hell, that could get you KILLED in some other cities I’ve been; and I mean shot… with a gun… dead. Not to say what happened was not terrible, but it could have gone much worse.

That’s where he went wrong right there. Hell, that could get you KILLED in Miami–and I mean shot… with a gun… dead. Not to say what happened was not terrible, but it could have gone much worse.[/quote]

Read the thread, bud. He was accused by the doorstaff as having taken drugs or dealing them.

Even if he was hitting on a man’s GF; get real. I’ve seen fights over that but never a gun pulled unless “you’z be in da hood, yo” and even then how bloody rare is that? In Taiwan, foreigners being beaten in clubs is less rare than you think.

Even if he had drugs on him…there are other ways to deal with it.

But there’s no mention at all of drugs in the Yahoo report. The report mentions twice that he was coming on to a female customer in the bar, but doesn’t say if she was with another guy. Perhaps there was something going on between her and one of the bar staff, and the guy got mad when he saw the foreigner making approaches to her.

Correct.