Foreign husband and Taiwanese wife living abroad with kids. Amicable divorce considered

Yeah, she isn’t quite the motherly instinct type…

I’m hesitant to push on details such as spousal and child support because she isn’t putting up a fight about me wanting to keep the children which is my primary concern.

I wonder if there’s a statement such as “The mother agrees to assist with child support when she is financially able.” or something along those lines that I can claim support from her later without her feeling pressured now.

I am not a lawyer, I just provide the contact. I still suggest making sure your rights are protected.

1 Like

I think you should ask a lawyer about that. For my own personal experience my ex wife and I had a good settlement and there were no issues about our son. That is not always the case with others. So you said she agrees to you having sole custody then make sure that is written that way in Chinese.

Apart from that suggest contacting that lawyer @marco has used before and is very satisfied with.

I’d go with that. Asking someone to pay support when they think they can means they won’t lol. They will always have an excuse and incomes in Taiwan are not very high for many people. I understand you could be happy enough having the children without financial support if you can afford it.

Wait till she changes her mind on that one. I hope, for your sake, that the agreement is legally binding.

1 Like

Slightly related but does anyone know if a Taiwanese men is married to a foreign women, and the kids were born in the foreign country.

Does the Taiwanese men also get automatic custody after a divorce?

No. There is no longer automatic custody in most countries. In Taiwan its often joint custody. Although in one case I know of the judge gave sole custody of the daughter to the mother and sole custody of the son to the father.
This is pretty unusual.

2 Likes

Thanks. My question is also: if things go south, will my Taiwanese partner be able to “keep” our kids in Taiwan without my (foreign woman) consent? So bring them here and keep them basically.

You can in your own country ask a court to put a block on your children leaving. That’s assuming they haven’t already left. However if they are in Taiwan its difficult to get a court to get sole custody but I know foreigners who have.

Also if you do not want your children leaving do not sign to renew their passports and keep their passports in a secure place.

2 Likes

I’m curious why she had multiple kids.

Should have been obvious after the first.

2 Likes

I would be weary of going with something like that. I don’t know her but for many less than ideal woman this would be a way to delay and delay with excuses and you will likely not get any support. I am not saying she will do that as I don’t know her but when it comes to court agreements you need to be careful to protect yourself.

2 Likes

I don’t know enough about their story on why they decided to divorce but I can say there are various reasons why she might do this despite not really wanting children. The biggest being that for most men it is not easy to leave when there are young children involved.

Things are always obvious in hindsight but for many of us that end up divorcing we may get to a point where we are so drawn into the relationship and our mental health is struggling so much that we can’t see things for what they are at the time.

3 Likes

She doesn’t hate kids, she’s just of the mindset that kids have to fit into her lifestyle completely no need to accommodate for what’s better for them. She loves them in her own way, I don’t understand how it works, but she can separate from them without being heartbroken over it. I’m not sure how to explain it.

2 Likes

Is she listening to herself? Children are an 18 year minimum commitment. You don’t just decide when to parent. She is doing considerable emotional damage to these innocent children.

Are you listening to yourself? She is abandoning her children.

You need child support to remind her that children are not just objects that can be put away when you get bored of them.

This is just trying to justify to yourself the damage being done to your children. You need to stand up for you and your children’s rights, especially when they need you most, which is now.

2 Likes

No need to explain it really.

5 Likes

Sounds like she lacks empathy.

Horrible trait for a mother to have.

1 Like

She sounds like a very selfish woman. Your lifestyle must change when you have kids. They depend on you for their growth and success. They need secure attachment with their mother. Without this they will suffer. It’s possible to overcome of course but it will leave it’s mark. I’m sorry you must face this

1 Like

How was she as a wife? Guessing she didn’t exactly care about your needs either.

No, she didn’t. Everything ultimately boiled down to her needs and happiness. I believe she’s a full on narcissist.

1 Like